No iphones for ATT for another 10-20 days

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brinycbri, Jul 16, 2008.

1. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

says two ATT's in new york near where I work..great job apple! meanwhile, lines at the 14th street apple store is 4-6hrs long

2. acrafton macrumors 6502

Stunning. . .even more stunning is an article posted on tuaw.com interviewing an 'analyst' who is praising apple's supply chain and doing such a great job of getting the IPhones to the market. . .

I guess analysts can be apple fanboys as well. . .

3. joyirons macrumors newbie

same for here in Bucks county, PA. I picked mine up last night and they told me I was lucky - that the wait was now 21 days.

4. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

I live on Long Island, and my order is no longer on back-order. So I wonder if they mean they won't have any in stock in their stores for 10-20 days or if people who ordered them won't get them for another 10-20 days either.

5. icewing macrumors 6502

I feel sorry for those who weren't able to get one...but, let's admit, it's pretty impressive for a new device to sell over 1 million units in the first 3 days! I imagine that it's pretty much impossible to accurately forecast demand for something like this. Wonder how many units the manufacturer can crank out each day?

6. Clusty macrumors regular

We're talking about Apple. This is their second time around with an iPhone, they should have known with a lower price, there would be higher demand.

7. sms0217ny macrumors regular

I'm also in the nyc area (manhattan) and just stopped by a ATT store and they are saying that DF will now take 10 - 21 days and from the sound of it they don't anticipate any supply in the near future for walk in customers, of course this could just be total bs to get people to get DF

8. bry223 macrumors regular

Probably since on launch day they played dumb and wouldnt tell the lines how many they got in, so they could sucker us in to DF. Stupid ATT

9. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

Easy to say now, but qa week ago most predicted that the lines would thin out quickly, and a few wne tso far as to predict the iPhone 3G would bomb becuase it was a "cheap, budget" phone. :rolleyes: I think that the initial demand had to take Apple by surprise.

10. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

That's what happens when you have high demand. Look at the Wii ... Nintendo was cranking them out at full capacity for a year and they still had shortages.

11. Clusty macrumors regular

I never heard anybody say that the iPhone is a "cheap, budget phone" because it isn't. The phone itself may only be $200, but a $70 contract every month is not cheap.

12. brinycbri thread starter macrumors 6502a

talked to someone at ATT. he said there will be a press release saying there will be no stock for several weeks due to high demand. DF is 10-20 business days and new stock is expected in august...dunno whether or not to believe him, but so far it looks bad

13. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

for the 40 kabiljillionith time,
    NO ONE IS MAKING YOU GET AN iPHONE

my tinfoil beanie slipped off this morning as I drove by an AT&T corp store, I had no desire to pull in and buy 1. I was shocked by this so to test it further I drove by 2 Apple stores and son of gun know what NO desire to pull in to either one of them and get an iPhone. I'm on my way to see a dr. as there has to be something wrong with me :p

14. brinycbri thread starter macrumors 6502a

1st part: I'm trying to get an iphone!!!
    2nd part: huh?

15. DreamPod macrumors 65816

I doubt this. It's like when I went to the AT&T store on Saturday, they said they were sold out for a while, and if you signed up for a backordered one you'd get it in 7 to 10 days. Then Sunday they got a small shipment in, sold to walk-ins. They are just trying to get you to order one right then, so it goes on that salesperson's record and they get the commission.

16. acrafton macrumors 6502

Wrong.

My local (and very large) ATT store WILL NOT TAKE ORDERS. They simply say "we don't know when they are coming in." I said "can I order one". . .they say "No, we are not taking any IPhone orders.".

17. DreamPod macrumors 65816

But that's different, saying they don't know when they will get more is different from saying they know for a fact that there will be no shipments at all for 10 to 20 days. Saying that makes me thing one of two things: they are trying to get rid of people who constantly show up asking if they have any in stock, or they are trying to push people to do Direct Fulfillment so they can get the sale *and* get rid of you.

18. acrafton macrumors 6502

Huh? How is NOT TAKING ORDERS pushing you to Direct Freight? They won't take an order. Period. No sale, no order, no nothing.

19. dmelgar macrumors 68000

But that lack of desire doesn't prevent you from posting on an iPhone availability thread...

Me thinks there is some repressed desire lurking there... :)

20. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

My question is: If they *DO* take your order, are you the first to get one (reserved) when they come in, or is your name on one that is at the place wherever they come from? (pre shipment)

I could see people having an order taken, only to have a shipment come in the next day, and those phones going to walk-ins. People that had an order taken, would have to wait. If it were a "name and info on a list" or reserve type system that would be cool. You get a phone call and come in to pick up your phone.

Trying to walk-in the store or even try to call and find a fresh shipment, is next to impossible.

21. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Um, you totally ignored most of my statement. You were told they don't know when any will be in stock, as I said, that is a totally different thing from saying they know as a fact there will be none for 10 to 20 days. You also ignored the part of my statement where I said there were TWO things came to mind, and the one you aren't mentioning is "they are trying to get rid of you". Think about it, they are probably getting lots of phone calls and people coming in "Got any iPhones? Why not? When will you have any?" So they tell someone they won't have any for 10 to 20 days, that means they don't have to deal with that person bugging them for 10 to 20 days.

22. velvetme macrumors newbie

I guess I am in the minority in saying I think Apple did a reasonable job of getting iPhones into stores.

1.) Att stores don't necessarily have as much right to sell them as Apple does. if there was such a thing as a blackberry store I would expect them to have more than the carriers would. 2.) They are keeping everyone informed via the website on DAILY shipments (that's more than I can say for the Wii). It's better than traipsing back to the store every day or calling. 3.) These phones don't exactly come out of the oven like tollhouse cookies and I think they are rolling onto store shelves and fulfilling orders as fast as they can.

The actual wanting of the iPhone is indeed part of the fun. A line tends to imply a value, something worth having and worth waiting for :)

23. COmacconvert macrumors newbie

I can unfortunately confirm the 10-21 day speculation. I ordered a White 16 GB through my good friend who also works at AT&T. I placed my order on Monday night around 5:00pm. My buddy originally told me it should be around 5-7 days. He called me Tuesday morning to tell me the wait times were pushed to 10-21 days. :(

He did tell me the orders for White phones are being fulfilled faster than any other models........:D

24. yode macrumors 6502

i see that the Apple stores have them, if you are making a new account with at&t is there a way you can get the 3G at an apple store somehow?

25. shecky Guest

shecky

i am planning on heading to AT+T today and ordering a 16GB white (probabbly) via DF. i will let you all know what they tell me - i can live with a 3 week wait.