No iTunes????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RiverCitySlim, Aug 20, 2011.

1. RiverCitySlim macrumors member

Can someone tell me if it is possible to use an iPhone if i don't have a computer with iTunes? Any info on this would be great.
    Thanks,

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Once iOS 5 comes out, yes.

Apple decided with iOS 5 that their iOS devices should be PC-free.

3. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Precisely. This is one of the big steps forward with IOS 5. However currently you are required to use iTunes.

4. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

ios5 and icloud are gonna open up doors for idevices !!

5. Weiser878 macrumors regular

The rest has been answered, but I'll note that you only need iTunes to activate the phone. After that, there's no reason to have it if you don't wish to backup or sync non iTunes purchased content to it

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm not sure if you're asking this, but if you intend to go entirely PC-free (as opposed to just iTunes-free) then I strongly suggest buying an Apple Time Capsule as your router:

http://www.apple.com/timecapsule/

You'll actually be able to control it with your phone:

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/09/ios-5-includes-airport-and-time-capsule-setup-software/

But don't buy one yet. There's speculation that a future verson may do even more for an iPhone, such as being able to backup your phone:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2...d-cache-software-updates-sync-with-icloud.ars

...so I'd wait until after the iPhone 5 announcement to buy one just in case it gets updated too.

7. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

You can control any router from your iPhone. Hardly a feature. The backup, if it happens, would be cool, but might as well just use iCloud backup.

8. RiverCitySlim, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

RiverCitySlim thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses. If I am understanding correctly with ios5 itunes would technically not be required to use the phone but would still be needed to sync content not purchased from the itunes store. Is this correct?

9. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

iTunes will still be needed to sync iPods though. And I imagine more than one person with an iPhone or iPad also has an iPod. I do. ;)

10. RiverCitySlim thread starter macrumors member

Currently I sync my old iPod with Winamp. I prefer Winamp as a music manager and would rather not have to use iTunes. Looks like I would have to if I want to have an iPhone and use all the functions. Not sure what to do now.

11. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

This point is still valid. Once activated, as long as you are buying all your content directly on the iPhone then technically there is no need to use iTunes. Although I would still use it to backup your iPhone in case something happens to it before IOS 5 comes out. Once that's released, you can backup your iPhone to iCloud and never have to use iTunes again if you don't want to. I've never used Winamp, so I cannot comment on how that would fit into this model I presented.

Yes, this is correct.