no kensington lock on new MBP?

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
Seems like kind of a big oversight and not a very hard thing to include

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2009
I don't see one on it! I wonder how you would secure it while in college or something.

Comment

css136

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
Wait, is this true? If I didn't have a lock, my laptop would get stolen in 30 seconds, seriously... I work at a university where laptop theft is very common

Comment

Suno

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2011
I've always wondered how useful those locks are. Sure, it deters away initial thieves, but if one was truly dedicated to stealing your Macbook and has his eyes on it, I'm sure it wouldn't take a whole lot of tools that you can buy from Home Depot to break the lock or the chain.

Comment

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
I've always wondered how useful those locks are. Sure, it deters away initial thieves, but if one was truly dedicated to stealing your Macbook and has his eyes on it, I'm sure it wouldn't take a whole lot of tools that you can buy from Home Depot to break the lock or the chain.
It is not designed for you to leave unattended for HOURS at a time, but in a public place, someone jimmying this lock with tools purchased from Home Depot would surely get caught by the time the laptop has been freed from the shackles.

Comment

Themegamacman

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2012
It is not designed for you to leave unattended for HOURS at a time, but in a public place, someone jimmying this lock with tools purchased from Home Depot would surely get caught by the time the laptop has been freed from the shackles.
But if you give it a strong tug, it'll come right out. They're a pretty weak locking mechanism IMO. :D

Comment

HardBall

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
I doubt that there is one;

There does not seem to be enough clearance, if you center a kensington lock slot at the center of the height of the chassis. Meaning that if you have a lock slot at the normal position in terms of the height of the chassis, there won't be enough room for a regular sized lock to be present in the slot, and for the notebook to lay flat on the surface. Most ultra-thin notebooks don't seem to have one, including the MBA, of course.

Comment

MSeyman

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2012
I could be wrong, but I swear I saw some sort of opening on the underside during a video.

Comment

fizzwinkus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
I could be wrong, but I swear I saw some sort of opening on the underside during a video.
my bet is that was the intake vents along the forward side/bottoms.
i've been poring over the images released online and haven't seen anything like a kensington slot.

Comment

mackmgg

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2007
Following Apple's advice for ethernet and firewire, you could always buy a thunderbolt to kensington adapter. :D

Comment

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
I think Engadget just assumed it was there. The Kensington lock slot is shown very clearly under Connections and Expansions for the regular Pro but is not listed in the same category for the Retina Pro- the K-lock is gone.

Following Apple's advice for ethernet and firewire, you could always buy a thunderbolt to kensington adapter. :D
LOL. That could work actually, if the thunderbolt lock is unplugged from the computer without the password being entered, have the laptop activate a loud sound from the speakers. After all, the new Pro's speakers have 'a wide dynamic range, optimal balance, and a crisp, expressive quality', meaning the siren should be loud and clear :p

Comment

CmdrGuard

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
Definitely no kensington lock.

And as I suspect once the price to manufacture retina displays goes down, eventually Apple will ax the non-retina MBPs.

Apple prefers to have a simplified, focused product line.

That being said, we can expect that in a few years, no apple products, other than desktops (whoop de do) will have kensington locks.

Apple apparently lives in some magical land where theft doesn't exist.

This is the only hope:

http://www.maclocks.com/index.php/macbook-air-lock.html

But something for the new MBP obviously.

However, I am skeptical as to a new locking case for the retina MBP being possible.

The new unibody design is very particular about having unobstructed air flow into those new slots.

Sure a new case would mirror those air flow slots, but wouldn't a non-metal case hurt heat dissipation?

10 bucks says that apple did not factor in affixing a non-metal case onto the retina MBP when designing the thing. So people who buy a case might see slowdown as the processor throttles to avoid overheating.

Comment

CmdrGuard

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010

From http://macbracket.com/faq

Trying to close the lid while locking down your MacBook Air with macBracket may damage your computer.
Yeah I'm not touching this with a 10 foot apple pole.

This is our only hope: http://www.maclocks.com/index.php/macbook-air-lock.html

A MBP version but will still let the machine stay cool.

Comment

Dreamail

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Beyond
SD Slot?

Is it possible to use/develop a lock for the SD Card slot?

Something that slides in with the width/height of an SD card (not necessarily the full depth) and can expand/clasp the frame inside when locked.

One might not use the card reader that often.
Might be a minor hassle to unlock it before using a card.
I certainly use my DVD drive more often than my SD card slot... ;)

Comment

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Yeah, I used to leave my MacBook locked up at the library or student union while I went to the bathroom or to get a snack. Worked well!

Comment