no kensington lock on new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Freyqq, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Seems like kind of a big oversight and not a very hard thing to include

2. 628 macrumors regular

I don't see one on it! I wonder how you would secure it while in college or something.

3. css136 macrumors member

Wait, is this true? If I didn't have a lock, my laptop would get stolen in 30 seconds, seriously... I work at a university where laptop theft is very common

4. 628 macrumors regular

5. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

I've always wondered how useful those locks are. Sure, it deters away initial thieves, but if one was truly dedicated to stealing your Macbook and has his eyes on it, I'm sure it wouldn't take a whole lot of tools that you can buy from Home Depot to break the lock or the chain.

6. Freyqq thread starter macrumors 68040

where is it? I didnt see it on the stock photos on the apple web site.

7. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

It is not designed for you to leave unattended for HOURS at a time, but in a public place, someone jimmying this lock with tools purchased from Home Depot would surely get caught by the time the laptop has been freed from the shackles.

8. Themegamacman macrumors member

But if you give it a strong tug, it'll come right out. They're a pretty weak locking mechanism IMO. :D

9. HardBall macrumors regular

I doubt that there is one;

There does not seem to be enough clearance, if you center a kensington lock slot at the center of the height of the chassis. Meaning that if you have a lock slot at the normal position in terms of the height of the chassis, there won't be enough room for a regular sized lock to be present in the slot, and for the notebook to lay flat on the surface. Most ultra-thin notebooks don't seem to have one, including the MBA, of course.

10. MSeyman macrumors newbie

I could be wrong, but I swear I saw some sort of opening on the underside during a video.

11. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

my bet is that was the intake vents along the forward side/bottoms.
    i've been poring over the images released online and haven't seen anything like a kensington slot.

12. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Following Apple's advice for ethernet and firewire, you could always buy a thunderbolt to kensington adapter. :D

13. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I think Engadget just assumed it was there. The Kensington lock slot is shown very clearly under Connections and Expansions for the regular Pro but is not listed in the same category for the Retina Pro- the K-lock is gone.

LOL. That could work actually, if the thunderbolt lock is unplugged from the computer without the password being entered, have the laptop activate a loud sound from the speakers. After all, the new Pro's speakers have 'a wide dynamic range, optimal balance, and a crisp, expressive quality', meaning the siren should be loud and clear :p

14. CmdrGuard macrumors newbie

Definitely no kensington lock.

And as I suspect once the price to manufacture retina displays goes down, eventually Apple will ax the non-retina MBPs.

Apple prefers to have a simplified, focused product line.

That being said, we can expect that in a few years, no apple products, other than desktops (whoop de do) will have kensington locks.

Apple apparently lives in some magical land where theft doesn't exist.

This is the only hope:

http://www.maclocks.com/index.php/macbook-air-lock.html

But something for the new MBP obviously.

However, I am skeptical as to a new locking case for the retina MBP being possible.

The new unibody design is very particular about having unobstructed air flow into those new slots.

Sure a new case would mirror those air flow slots, but wouldn't a non-metal case hurt heat dissipation?

10 bucks says that apple did not factor in affixing a non-metal case onto the retina MBP when designing the thing. So people who buy a case might see slowdown as the processor throttles to avoid overheating.

15. bern11 macrumors newbie

16. markusberger macrumors member

markusberger

well that sucks :eek: :(

17. CmdrGuard macrumors newbie

From http://macbracket.com/faq

Yeah I'm not touching this with a 10 foot apple pole.

This is our only hope: http://www.maclocks.com/index.php/macbook-air-lock.html

A MBP version but will still let the machine stay cool.

18. Dreamail macrumors 6502

SD Slot?

Is it possible to use/develop a lock for the SD Card slot?

Something that slides in with the width/height of an SD card (not necessarily the full depth) and can expand/clasp the frame inside when locked.

One might not use the card reader that often.
    Might be a minor hassle to unlock it before using a card.
    I certainly use my DVD drive more often than my SD card slot... ;)

19. gusnyc macrumors 6502

What about a lock that attaches to one side of the vent openings?

20. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Yeah, I used to leave my MacBook locked up at the library or student union while I went to the bathroom or to get a snack. Worked well!

21. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

22. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Pit Bull would kill anyone in their path, and 9mm needs someone to be around the MacBook.