iPhone XS Max No Landscape Homescreen on Max :(

flashflooder

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Just out of curiosity, why are you "gutted" about this?

What is the advantage of having landscape capability on the homescreen?

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
This is a great feature in my opinion. 99.9% of the time the ONLY time I want landscape is for pictures or videos. Certainly never on the homescreen.

Obviously you’re different, I wish Apple would release a “smart” rotation lock, or as another poster said above - setting rotation permissions per app.

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
It has it for certain apps but with no face ID in landscape it didn’t really make much sense. Not sure why anybody would find it useful

Reactions: green86

spooky23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2013
Epping
Gonna be honest. I never use landscape for the home page. It's a personal thing, just think it's useless for my own usage. Only time I'm in landscape is for using Sky Q / Netflix etc. I don't mind not having this (once I get my hands on the Max).

MEJHarrison

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
You hated a feature that could easily be disabled?
Yup, that's what I said. I hated home screen landscape mode on my 6 Plus. There, I've said it again just so we're all clear here.

Seems like there are more important things in life that one would feel so passionate about.
That's very true! Unless of course you're taking someone's quote completely out of context. Or making invalid assumptions. For example, had I said "this is worse than staving kids in Africa", you'd have a point. If I'd said this was the most important thing in my life at the moment, you'd have a point. Going back, I'm not seeing where I said those things or anything similar. It seems more like I was expressing my opinion on the topic being discussed in this thread and giving relevant feedback.

Last edited:

ARizz44

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I feel for those who wanted this feature. Admittedly this makes me very happy. I hated the screen rotating all of the time. I had to keep my display view set to ‘zoomed’ just to deactivate it.

Reactions: Macintosh69

wilhil

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2018
Landscape home screen wasn’t that great in the first place.
Noooo! I had a 7+ and loved using it in landscape when at the gym to watch things on or as a satnav in the car.

Going to the X, this was by far my biggest hate and I just upgraded to the XS max and can't believe it isn't back!

It isn't the end of the world or anything, but, I loved this feature (seemingly not many others did in this thread!) and it is really disappointing it isn't back.

Jordan921

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Noooo! I had a 7+ and loved using it in landscape when at the gym to watch things on or as a satnav in the car.

Going to the X, this was by far my biggest hate and I just upgraded to the XS max and can't believe it isn't back!

It isn't the end of the world or anything, but, I loved this feature (seemingly not many others did in this thread!) and it is really disappointing it isn't back.
You don’t need landscape home screen to watch things.