Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dino F

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
I am getting increasingly frustrated with my stupid watch :mad:

This morning, AGAIN, my watch experienced ALL the issues which I have described in this ENTIRE thread. WHY DOES MY WATCH KEEP FORGETTING ALL OF ITS SETTINGS????? :mad:

ALL Location Services are turned ON, as are all apps which require Location Services - I just don't get it.

I had to YET AGAIN, resort to toggling these services off for a while and then turning back on, via my iPhone. Maps wasn't working (couldn't locate me AGAIN :rolleyes: ), Weather wasn't giving me the weather for South Croydon (it was just showing 'London' :rolleyes: ), Siri couldn't locate me when I asked "Where Am I"?, no dot on the globe watch face, etc, etc, etc. :mad:

After toggling all these things off for a minute or so and then toggling back on, they all seems to kick back into life although I can pretty much guarantee that if I try these again tomorrow, I'll be back to square one again.:confused:

Could this be because I put my watch into 'Power Reserve' mode every night (perhaps its forgetting the settings overnight)?

I really don't want to be mucking about with toggles every time I get these issues?! Last time, I had to resort to resetting the watch and restoring from the backup, which seemed to cure the problem, until today?!?!
:confused:

Last edited:

Dino F

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
I am getting increasingly frustrated with my stupid watch :mad:

This morning, AGAIN, my watch experienced ALL the issues which I have described in this ENTIRE thread. WHY DOES MY WATCH KEEP FORGETTING ALL OF ITS SETTINGS????? :mad:

ALL Location Services are turned ON, as are all apps which require Location Services - I just don't get it.

I had to YET AGAIN, resort to toggling these services off for a while and then turning back on, via my iPhone. Maps wasn't working (couldn't locate me AGAIN :rolleyes: ), Weather wasn't giving me the weather for South Croydon (it was just showing 'London' :rolleyes: ), Siri couldn't locate me when I asked "Where Am I"?, no dot on the globe watch face, etc, etc, etc. :mad:

After toggling all these things off for a minute or so and then toggling back on, they all seems to kick back into life although I can pretty much guarantee that if I try these again tomorrow, I'll be back to square one again.:confused:

Could this be because I put my watch into 'Power Reserve' mode every night (perhaps its forgetting the settings overnight)?

I really don't want to be mucking about with toggles every time I get these issues?! Last time, I had to resort to resetting the watch and restoring from the backup, which seemed to cure the problem, until today?!?!

....same again this morning o_O

My iPhone 6 had an update last night (iOS 9.3.3) and after updating it, this morning, my watch, yet again, had no weather for my location?!?!? Again, I had to go to 'Privacy' and 'Location Services' and toggle stuff off and on again, before I could get things to work again.

Not being funny but I think there must be a glitch somewhere, in Apple's firmware - either in the Watch OS, or iOS. My issue is not a one off - it seems to be happening over and over again (as seen in this thread).

I do love my Apple Watch, however, its things like this, which really annoy me - stuff which stops working for absolutely no reason whatsoever..?!?!?!?!

Dino F

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
....same again this morning o_O

My iPhone 6 had an update last night (iOS 9.3.3) and after updating it, this morning, my watch, yet again, had no weather for my location?!?!? Again, I had to go to 'Privacy' and 'Location Services' and toggle stuff off and on again, before I could get things to work again.

Not being funny but I think there must be a glitch somewhere, in Apple's firmware - either in the Watch OS, or iOS. My issue is not a one off - it seems to be happening over and over again (as seen in this thread).

I do love my Apple Watch, however, its things like this, which really annoy me - stuff which stops working for absolutely no reason whatsoever..?!?!?!?!

...GUESS WHAT - BACK TO SQUARE ONE (weather doesn't show the data for my location and just displays 'London' - no location arrow when the watch is displaying the weather data, asking Siri, "where am I" gets the usual response of he doesn't know but I can show him by turning location services - WHEN THEY ARE ALREADY ON?!?!?!?!?!?!? :mad:) !!!

You know what, I am just gonna use the watch as a watch and sending me notifications, without anything else that is location based, pure and simply because telling the time and sending me notifications is the only 2 things which works 100% of the time.

ITS A FECKING JOKE.:mad: APPLE WATCH 2??? DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH................
[doublepost=1473090376][/doublepost]
Have you tried not using power reserve mode one night? It shouldn't matter, but interesting to see if it's tied to that.

...and its nothing to do with that either as I have just been putting my watch on the charger instead of using Power Reserve.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
...GUESS WHAT - BACK TO SQUARE ONE (weather doesn't show the data for my location and just displays 'London' - no location arrow when the watch is displaying the weather data, asking Siri, "where am I" gets the usual response of he doesn't know but I can show him by turning location services - WHEN THEY ARE ALREADY ON?!?!?!?!?!?!? :mad:) !!!

You know what, I am just gonna use the watch as a watch and sending me notifications, without anything else that is location based, pure and simply because telling the time and sending me notifications is the only 2 things which works 100% of the time.

ITS A FECKING JOKE.:mad: APPLE WATCH 2??? DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH................
[doublepost=1473090376][/doublepost]

...and its nothing to do with that either as I have just been putting my watch on the charger instead of using Power Reserve.

Your problem is you've been re-booting your AW in the mornings after putting in power reserve at nights (for illogical reasons) and from my experience, it typically takes a while for the AW to sync the location after a re-boot. The AW is designed to be powered on 24/7 and charged as needed, so stop re-booting your AW (which is required to get out of power reserve) and your problem will go away.

If you've actually stopped putting it in power reserve but are still re-booting it on a daily basis anyway, stop doing that too because it takes too long for it to re-sync the location.

Last edited:

Dino F

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Your problem is you've been re-booting your AW in the mornings after putting in power reserve at nights (for illogical reasons) and from my experience, it typically takes a while for the AW to sync the location after a re-boot. The AW is designed to be powered on 24/7 and charged as needed, so stop re-booting your AW (which is required to get out of power reserve) and your problem will go away.

If you've actually stopped putting it in power reserve but are still re-booting it on a daily basis anyway, stop doing that too because it takes too long for it to re-sync the location.

Not being funny but I have NOT rebooted my Apple Watch for months. I have not even used Power Reserve mode for months. I just use my watch and put it back on the charger over night whilst it is still powered on in night mode (NOT Powere Reserve mode).

I have turned a few Location Services off and on and managed to get Siri to now locate me when I ask "Where am I", and also, the globe watch face shows the green dot for my location, HOWEVER, when tapping on the temperature complication from any watch face, the weather does NOT show weather for my current location? It is STILL showing London even though I am in South Croydon (there is NO location arrow on the watch, whilst in the weather app)??

I'll tell ya - this software is screwed on the Apple Watch. I just hope iOS 10 may fix some of these issues.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Not being funny but I have NOT rebooted my Apple Watch for months. I have not even used Power Reserve mode for months. I just use my watch and put it back on the charger over night whilst it is still powered on in night mode (NOT Powere Reserve mode).

I have turned a few Location Services off and on and managed to get Siri to now locate me when I ask "Where am I", and also, the globe watch face shows the green dot for my location, HOWEVER, when tapping on the temperature complication from any watch face, the weather does NOT show weather for my current location? It is STILL showing London even though I am in South Croydon (there is NO location arrow on the watch, whilst in the weather app)??

I'll tell ya - this software is screwed on the Apple Watch. I just hope iOS 10 may fix some of these issues.

You should reboot the watch at this time (especially if you haven't done it for months) to see if it's software gone astray that could be remedied by rebooting. Next step if the problem persists is to unpair and re-pair the AW. Last resort if you've done all these steps is to take it to Apple to see if the culprit is hardware. Your problem is clearly not normal.

Dino F

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
You should reboot the watch at this time (especially if you haven't done it for months) to see if it's software gone astray that could be remedied by rebooting. Next step if the problem persists is to unpair and re-pair the AW. Last resort if you've done all these steps is to take it to Apple to see if the culprit is hardware. Your problem is clearly not normal.

Where exactly is the "Unpair" option - is this in the Apple Watch app on the iPhone? And what happens exactly if I Unpair? Does it take a back up or do I need to restore again (which I had to resort to doing back in May when I first experienced this issues)?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Open the Watch app and right at the top click on your :apple:Watch then hit the circled i (orange) and Unpair Apple Watch. It will backup all current info. You then do a restore and it is like a clean slate and will likely solve any software issue you are having.

Reactions: Dino F

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Where exactly is the "Unpair" option - is this in the Apple Watch app on the iPhone? And what happens exactly if I Unpair? Does it take a back up or do I need to restore again (which I had to resort to doing back in May when I first experienced this issues)?

It'll make an immediate, last second backup when you do the unpairing process (in addition to the backups it has been doing all along). In My Watch app, tap (your name's) Apple Watch and tap it again, you'll see "Unpair Apple Watch."

Unpairing and re-pairing is an obligatory step to resolve many software issues (if simple rebooting doesn't work).

Reactions: Dino F

Dino F

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ok, cheers for this guys. Looks like unpairing and repairing is gonna be my only option as this resolved my issue last time. Hopefully it will do again this time.

I'd like to get this sorted before I update to iOS 10 and OS3, which hopefully will be announced this week!

Dino F

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
On my iPhone 6, I ended up having to go to Privacy and Location Services and then toggling the weather location service, off for a few minutes and then back on, which seems to have cured the issue for now as I can once again see the location arrow, whenever I tap on the temperature complication on a watch face, and the weather shows up for my location.

Definitely weird that my watch seems to lose this setting every now again? I wonder if its when I update my phone iOS as I recall, I actually had an update over the weekend....?!?!

Oh well, at least its fixed for now..............roll on iOS 10 this week!!!!!!

Reactions: melman101
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.