What to do with Apple Watch at Night?!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Dino F, May 25, 2016.

1. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

Just a quick question really:

I wear my watch. mainly for work, so put it on around 7am in the morning and take it off again around 6pm in the evening, when I get home (I also wear it at weekends, depending on what I am doing but primarily wear it for work).

When I get home, currently, I just put the watch into 'Low Power Mode' for the night. I don't charge it every night - I only charge it when the battery drops to 30% or less (when I know it won't get me through the next day).

So my question is - should I just turn the watch off every night as it has dawned on me that putting the watch into 'Low Power Mode' is in effect, just like turning it off (as the only way to get it going again, is to turn it off!!).

What do you guys do with yours?!

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

i just charge mine every night and don't worry about it :)

3. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Why so complicated? Why? If you're not planning to wear it at night for sleep monitoring or such why don't you just put it on a dock and let it charge? I use the Spigen S350 dock so I have a nice alarm clock. The display activates with a slight touch of my bed table.

4. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

...I don't charge it every night because I feel this will weaken the battery eventually! If the watch has 80% battery left at the end of the day (like it normally does after 1 day of usage), it really doesn't need to go back on the charger though does it?!

5. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

For me, I turn my watch off for the night. Like you, if my watch is around 30% I'll charge it. Typically I get 3 days of battery life.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You need to get off the couch and workout some.:eek: Also it is obvious that you are not utilizing your :apple:Watch's features (notifications, Siri, weather, directions, music, music control, .....) to any degree so why not just wear a regular watch? :(

It should be a badge of honor to end every day with less than 20% left.

7. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

....that's exactly what I get also!

Whilst I do agree that I don't workout or use it for music, I primarily use my watch for notifications, checking the weather, checking step/calorie count, answering texts and simple stuff like that.

8. melman101 macrumors 68030

Check out this link. It doesn't matter if you charge it sooner than later. You are still equating the same charge cycles.

For instance, 4 charges when watch is at 80% = 1 charge when watch is at 20%.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/why-lithium-ion/

9. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Ah, the battery topic - again. I won't missionize anyone but I would highly recommend to do what I do with my iPhone, iPad, Watch, MacBook: I use them and put them on the charger whenever I want or think of it. Modern batteries don't die because of that.

Read Apple's own info about that: http://www.apple.com/batteries/why-lithium-ion/

Quote: "Charge your Apple lithium-ion battery whenever you want. There’s no need to let it discharge 100% before recharging."

EDIT: @melman101 Ninja'd ;)

10. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

11. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

...looks like its going on the charger tonight then (still at 65%)!!!
    :D

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Just charge it. It's not 1994 anymore. The battery management has been designed to be charged nightly, you're not going to harm it by using it exactly as designed.

13. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

...thanks for that link - very helpful, appreciated.

;)

14. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I wear my AW from 7am until I go to bed (around 9ish). I must be doing something wrong then if some of you are getting three days of use out of your watch before you have to charge it since my watch gets charged every night.

15. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

you may want to read this

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2011/02/ask-ars-what-is-the-best-way-to-use-an-li-ion-battery/

16. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Yep, there is no advantage to waiting three days or charging every night. No need to worry about your battery and just your watch and enjoy it.

17. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Why the interrobang?!

I wear mine in bed because it's great at waking me up in the morning.

So, I charge it in the evening while my wife and I are hanging out, watching tv and snacking on yogurt.

It usually shows between 35-60% battery remaining at the end of my day. Since the battery is so small, it doesn't take long to top up anyway.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's actually better for Li-Ion battery's health if you don't allow it to drop below 50%, but don't worry about it and just wear the AW all waking hours and charge nightly or whenever you can.

19. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

I wear mine at night for sleep tracking (Sleep++).

My routine is to top off the watch in the morning as I am getting ready for work, then again around dinner time if I am home. By the time I go to sleep the watch is usually at 100%. Generally it is at 85% or so in the morning before topping off, and 50%-70% after work, being lower on the days I run.

I have to say I liked that my Garmin VivoActive, which I had before my AW, gave me a good 4-6 days of battery life (and I didn't need to manually start a sleep app). But I didn't like its screen, interface, and how it interacted with my iPhone. I do wish the AW came in a bigger battery version. Indeed when I got my 42mm AW I thought it was the 38mm version instead--it seemed smaller than I expected. So I'd buy one that was even bigger if it meant a bigger battery.

Mike

20. drtran83 macrumors member

I put mine in airplane mode overnight and only charge when it's low. I get about 2 days worth of use out of mine that way before I have to charge again.

21. MistahMumford macrumors 6502

MistahMumford

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Trying to squeeze two days worth of use is more detrimental to Li-Ion battery's health than topping off nightly. You want try to keep it above 50% whenever possible.

23. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I have 2 Sport watches and alternate them. I wear one of them 24/7 pretty much. I have a sleep tracker app so I wear one through the night for that. If the watch I've worn in the day has more than 35% left at bed time I wear it for the night and change in the morning. If not I switch at bedtime.

24. sbuntin macrumors member

sbuntin

What others have said re charging - just charge it.

I do like the nightstand mode - it's basically a digital alarm clock, but the screen only comes on if the watch detects motion. tap it or even nudge the bedside table and it comes on displaying the time in large green numbers, then the display sleeps after a few seconds.