Resolved No luck with QTE

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jbarley, Sep 16, 2015.

1. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Spent most of the day trying to get QuickTime Enabler to work on my G5 quad running Leopard.
    So far I've no luck at all, when on YouTube for instance, I click on a video and it starts to play as normal in a YouTube window, if I right click and select any of the 3 Play with QuickTime options, QuickTime fires up OK but no Video loads.
    It's probably something simple I'm missing which is why I'm throwing myself to the mercy of the PPC Gods here.

TenFourFox version 38.2.1
    QuickTime player version 7.2.1
    Latest QuickTime enabler addon.

2. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Alright, here's what I suggest... Get @eyoungren's tweaks (I used @Altemose's file) and suggested add-Ons, and then on YouTube, let the video buffer all the way and then play. I do that on my PowerBooks and it works great!

3. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

Did you actually read my post, the part where I mentioned I'm trying to get "QuickTime Enabler" to work?
    I'm not having any problem viewing youtube videos, it's more that I want to try out the QTE addon.

4. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Whoops, sorry, lol. I though you just wanted to get YouTube to work and you happened to be using QTE to try and get it to work. I'll reread it and see if I can help out with just QTE.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

James, do the videos you're trying to load in QT (via the addon) have advertisements?

From here: https://code.google.com/p/tenfourfox/wiki/QuickTimeEnabler

Do you have Perian installed (additional video formats for QT)?

6. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I had pretty much the same luck, I gave up and installed a Youtube downloader add-on instead.
    The best Youtube solution is Webkit and ClickToPlugin - though with a Quad, playing Youtube as flash or html5 doesn't present a problem in the first place.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I find that if I need to get serious in watching Youtube video in Webkit (on any of my G4s), using Stainless is the best option. Just my experience.

8. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

care to share a link to the Youtube downloader you settled on?

9. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

My G5 has never had a singe issue with YouTube, ever. It's a Dual 2.3 with a stock 9600 GPU, and 2GB RAM. That machine handles everything I toss at it perfectly without a hiccup.

As I previously mentioned with my PBs, just having some patience goes a long way. All I do is let it buffer and then it's lag free for the most part. If it lags, it's only for a second or two and then it goes back to normal

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I would bet you are doing this either in Safari or Webkit though correct?

In all honesty, even with my tweaks (and jbarley has applied them), TenFourFox is about the worst choice you can make for viewing video online. Which is why James is trying to use the QTE with Quicktime.

By nature T4Fx/Firefox/Mozilla is just a heavy browser. My tweaks essentially trim the fat but they won't turn it into Usain Bolt. ;)

11. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

If you go to Tools/Add-ons, then select Get Add-ons on the left, enter youtube in the search field and it'll bring up loads of extensions - I use either, 1-Click YouTube Video Downloader 2.4.0.1 or YouTube Video and Audio Downloader 0.4.5

Sorry, if there is a way to copy a link, I can't find it.

What I don't like though is that with both extensions, the video will still load up (and play unless you pause it) whilst it's being downloaded.
    Webkit/CTP doesn't load flash at all and lets you decide the format to play or download.

12. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

If I need to really get serious, I'll load youtube on my Mac-Mini quad i7, other then that I'm just trying to make my PPC "Be all that they can be".:D

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I hear you. Up until a few months ago though that was all I could do. I didn't have an Intel Mac to use for that until about four months ago.

14. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

That makes sense with Stainless being so nimble - however on my G5 it struggles to even make 240p move! But I'm used to my G5 defying logic :)

15. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

PPC Media Center is brilliant for watching/downloading videos from YouTube. I can't recommend it enough.

16. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I always forget that one as it's a bit fiddly copying and pasting and whatever but yes, it is very good - great for grabbing flash video from any site.

17. Gamer9430, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015

Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Actually, I had better playback on TFF than in WebKit. Back when I first tried it, I also had MacTubes Enabler, but even now it still runs fine in TFF. Haven't tried WebKit again since it broke my G5's installers...

18. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Have you tried this option out?

19. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

When you say "TFT" are you referring to TenFourFox commonly called TFF?

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Not yet. I've mainly been grabbing the MBP.

I am also hesitant to install plugins in Safari. It's such a POS anyway (I hate it) that whenever I modify with something it usually makes it useless.

21. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Yeah, that was a typo, :p

22. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

What model G5 do you have?

23. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

2.3 Dual Processor - note, the comment about 240p is only relevant in Stainless - playback is great in Webkit and in general playback is good upto and including 1080p. I could go hunting for the problem in Stainless but I have no need as I only use it for one site that other browsers can't do - odd, considering it's using the same engine as Safari.

24. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Ah I understand now. My G5 is the same as yours, and it's no slouch. I haven't tried Stainless so I don't know if it's just you or not, but like you said, plenty of other browsers that work fine :)

25. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If you give it a shot I guarantee you will be pleasantly surprised.