No mac for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cubiq, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Cubiq macrumors newbie

It's time for a new mac, but this time it seems there's no right configuration for me.

- I need a desktop computer
    - A Mac Pro has too HP for me
    - The iMac would be good but I already have a great 24" lcd monitor and I can't make room for a dual monitor setup
    - I feel the Mac mini is a little underpowered for my needs

A headless imac would be perfect... but it seems that the only viable solution is a (closed) macbook connected to my lcd. Any advice is welcome. Thanks

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

this, as you said, is the headless Mac idea or the "mid-ranged Mac". this has been discussed time and time again but unfortunately i dont think Apple will ever release this.

Apple is mainly consumer oriented but also provides professional equipment which is very highly regarded to say the least. Apple believes in the all-in-one idea and so they think the iMac is the perfect computer for the consumer. but if youre a switcher looking for a cheap Mac and you already have a monitor and keyboard then the Mac Mini is for you.

but unfortunately many users dont fit into this product 'matrix'.

3. Cubiq thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your reply. I'm not a switcher, I have a mixed soho environment for me and wifey (1 prev-gen white iMac, 1 linux notebook, 1 desktop windows), and I'd like to get rid of the windows OS. But as you said I don't fit the apple products 'matrix'. I think I'll end up installing linux waiting for new Apple HW.

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

an iMac is a perfectly acceptable solution. Convincing yourself that you need a headless mac is a poor argument. If that is truly the case, the either a MacPro or Mini will fit your needs.

5. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

It's a stretch, but you could get a MacBook Pro and, for the most part, keep it closed and let it drive your 24" monitor. In that way, it's being used as a desktop computer for the most part but you'll have the added ability to have a mac laptop, which will also run your linux setup.

Yes, you'll be spending more $$ than a headless mid-range mac, but you'll be able to replace your windows desktop and your linux laptop with a single MBP, thus simplifying your life and getting rid of windows.

6. dringkor macrumors member

What are your needs? Is money an object? Too much horsepower in the Pro isn't a problem if you can comfortably afford it. If not, you could sell your 24" monitor and buy an iMac or settle for a Mini and keep the monitor. What makes the Mini too underpowered?

7. Cubiq thread starter macrumors newbie

This is the solution I was evaluating... Is the macbook silent? Usually notebooks are a bit noisy. We have a rather silent environment.

web design and development mainly. Photoshop, virtual machine, komodo edit, textmate, ...

well... let's say that I'm not going to spend 2500$ for a PC that I don't really need :)

I saw the 20" iMac and I am not satisfied by the quality of the TN glossy monitor (the problem is not the glossiness for me, but the poor color palette). Is the 24" better?

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

8. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

The iMac is certainly NOT an acceptable solution! What to do when the optical drive dies? Send the whole computer to Apple for a $500+ repair. No thank you. If my computer needs a new hard drive or optical drive, I replace it myself.
    I will continue to use my shiny new Windows XP tower and my old Mac tower until Apple produces a mid-range tower.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm an Apple fan, and I think their computers are great, but THIS is a poor argument. Asking for a computer that doesn't have an LCD permanently attached to it isn't silly at all, or "poor argument".

Also, the difference between a Mac Pro and Mac Mini is so large that assuming that you either need one or the other is a really dangerous assumption. I'd certainly need something more powerful than a Mac Mini, and yet I don't need (or want) a Mac Pro.

10. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Get a refurb Mac Pro.

And yes the monitor on the 24" is much better.

11. CanadianDonkey macrumors member

It's fairly quiet. The only time it makes noise is when I get's hot and the fans start up.

I frequently use the macbook sitting on my lap, and the fans rarley run at all. if you were to use it in a desktop setup, something similar to this: http://www.unplggd.com/unplggd/computers/floater-macbook-dock-025412

Your mac would stay nice and cool a lot.

12. Thetics macrumors regular

13. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

What are your needs exactly?

What programs do you run on a regular basis?

14. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

The mac mini is well over due for an update, maybe this will see a revision in design? Whatever, it is cheap enough to try out and if it doesn't work, then sell it on eBay for not much less than you bought it new. If you are considering a MacBook there isn't a lot of difference in real world specs.

15. danny_w macrumors 601

Why? What the the MBP buy him over a MB as a general use desktop? FW800 is about all that I can see, unless you really need the graphics. I use a MB (closed) and a 24" display every day, and I also have a 24" Alu iMac at work. Both do a fine job.

16. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

That just drops an insanely expensive computer down to an extremely expensive computer.

17. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I've run Photoshop and web development apps on a Mac Mini. I think it's fine for that.

18. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

I agree. I'd wait for the update that should be soon however.

19. Cubiq thread starter macrumors newbie

I think my options are:
    - sell my linux laptop, keep the monitor and buy a MBP
    - sell the monitor and buy a 24" iMac

anyway the buyersguide says that the imac is due to be updated (as well as the mini). I'll wait and see what comes out.

that said i feel that Apples lacks prosumer-wise, but I could be wrong I don't know the mac-scene enough. All I know is that I don't want to see a windows pc again in my house :p

20. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

I've been as 'lucky' as to not have an LCD monitor yet, so I went ahead and bought the 24" iMac a month or three ago. I feel it's perfect for my 'prosumer' needs. I use it very intensively and sometimes for some intenstive tasks, and it's served me great.

But indeed, it's too bad that there's no headless iMac.

By the way, I'd guess the MacBook Pro would run Linux great. At least in Fusion I've never had any issues, but have not tried bootcamping Linux.

21. czachorski macrumors 6502a

czachorski

Personally, I'd sell the 24" monitor and get the 24" iMac. The proceed from the monitor sale will get you the 24" iMac with less out of your pocket, and it really is a nice machine.

22. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

This is the setup I have and it's like having a laptop and desktop at the same time...

23. asmallchild macrumors regular

simple

i like it

24. Trip.Tucker Guest

"sell your lcd"