No Mac Pro updates for a long time now unfortunately probably

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Stevamundo, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Stevamundo macrumors 6502

Stevamundo

This really makes me mad! However as long that Apple has problems with their stupid iPhone 4, they'll let MP and all other desktops rot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

WARNING: while this video hilarious and true, it also has some bad language in it unfortunately.

2. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

What utter, utter rubbish [the post].

Apple's mobile and desktop division are almost CERTAINLY separate! There isn't a Mac Pro update BECAUSE THERE ISN'T A GREAT LEAP IN TECHNOLOGY YET.

Sandy Bridge in Q4 2010 will be the next Mac Pro update window!!!!!!

I'd put my 2009 Mac Pro on a bet that Apple have a 2010/2011 Mac Pro in the labs ready or on the way.

Now mods, PLEASE get on top of these kinds of posts, totally unnecessary!

3. Whaditis macrumors regular

Im still pissed that I waited so long (April 2010) to purchase my Mac pro 2009 thinking that a new one was around the corner and had enough so I pulled the trigger.

In retrospect, I should have bought it last November and could of had all those months of usage that went down the drain.

Still good thing I did buy in April since I could still be waiting now in total frustration. I am happy with what I currently have but for Apple to keep people hanging like this is sad.

I can understand with people not wanting to spend the same money for something that came out in March of 2009 when we have already entering 3rd quarter of 2010.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Sandy Bridge based Xeon processors in the Xeon 3000 and 5000 lines are not expected until Q4 2011.

5. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

You need to report them if you don't like them. Click on the little triangle. ;)

6. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Sure, we need the space for rumors about those new iPhone cases, and to discuss which iPhone case to buy, and if we should put the iPhone in our pockets or our backpack, and which backpack do we buy? :rolleyes:

And I'd say that a gtx 480 or an ati 5970 is quite some leap over that 4870. Also the new 6-Core Xeons come to mind.

7. lemonade-maker macrumors 6502

lemonade-maker

This is all true but blaming Apple and getting angry in general is the silliest thing possible. Those saying they are angry because its been awhile since a refresh should only be angry at themselves for making marginal decisions.

8. dimensional macrumors member

Your response is rubbish. There are Westmere Xeons. Other manufacturers are using them:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/17/ibm_westmere_towers/

9. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

One would think that this would be the time to release a new Mac Pro if Apple had it. It could divert a small (very small) amount of attention from what is becoming the worst debacle in Apple history: the iPhone 4 antenna mania.

10. Stevamundo thread starter macrumors 6502

Stevamundo

Just take a look around people are getting pissed because of the MP's aren't being updated.

Yeah, all we need is crappie iPhones with single issues. :rolleyes:

11. Stevamundo thread starter macrumors 6502

Stevamundo

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Isn't the 3000 line expected to be released in Q3? Anyway, easier way of saying it is H2 :D When we get Sandy, there will be talks of Ivy as it's expected to be released in early 2012 so this circle is endless. There is always something to wait for but you may hit the coffin before you see that

13. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Too true. As soon as Sandy Bridge is released we'll all be drooling over the 22nm goodness of Ivy Bridge :D

14. Stevamundo thread starter macrumors 6502

Stevamundo

Exactly.

Although I think it's kind of funny. “THE IPHONE 4 ANTENA MANIA" IS COMING TO GET YOU! :eek:

15. Stevamundo thread starter macrumors 6502

Stevamundo

You might hit the coffin before we might see any updates out of the MP period. :D

16. TheLOGICalone macrumors regular

I jock the Iphone, but that was funny as hell!

17. TheLOGICalone macrumors regular

wow. iPhone typing takes too long to refute that but, 3.33 ghz 6 core, ssd, 1333mhz ram, faster/ more powerful pcie, psu, Leave the gt120 tho, that card rules, (gtx485), 30 cin display... And just look at wwdc if you think apples focus hasn't changed at all away from mac...

18. TheLOGICalone macrumors regular

+1

19. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Last I heard, -EP was for Q3 and -EN was for Q4.

True, but the same staggering of CPU variant releases for Sandy Bridge is planned to happen with Ivy Bridge.

20. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Actually, whilst IMO there are far too many new posts moaning about no update appearing on here. It is NO WHERE NEAR the ammount of posts that we had for the MacBook Pro..... I mean we had one on going never ending thread that was stopped and restarted was it 4 times?
    So in a way think your self lucky?

21. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's what I thought as well. Of course all that may change as those are just rumors/guesses/expectations as far as I know.

That would be logical as there would be no reason to release -EN versions of Sandy in Q4 2011 and then release -EN versions of Ivy in early 2012. Looks like Intel has changed it from Nehalem, it took over a year for Intel to come up with mainstream desktop (Clarkdale) and mobility (Arrandale) Nehalems and now lower end chips are being the first ones, Xeons being delayed.

22. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

That seems very unlikely since Intel hasn't really finished releasing the 3000 series for Westmere yet (3620 , 3640). They are now about 4 months behind the 5000 series. How would they end up 3-4 months in front of the 5000 series in the next round? More likely they'd even up 12 months from when got released for Westmere. Unless they are going to skip them all together for Westmere (which is more than a bit odd.)

If the Sandy Bridge Xeons are going to come in Q3 or Q4 in 2011 then this is a "pay me now or pay me later" problem. Either come out with the initial versions of Westmere Xeons and have a longer than usual tail end of the product cycle in 2011 or put the longer end of the product cycle in 2010 and come out on a 12 month cycle for the product cycle in 2011.

So if Mac Pro releases in July/August of 2010 and then the Sandy Bridge Xeons comes in July/August 2011 then the Pros will be lined up for a 12 month refresh.

If Apple adds something now in 2010 that is a bit of a differentiator (e.g, USB 3.0) then the other vendors will have to wait to next July/Aug to respond when the new chip drops and their models will have to run the extra 4-5 months on the same board.

Intel clearly cannot drop 32nm Core stuff and Xeon stuff at the same time without running into capacity problems. Moving the Xeon's to later in the calendar year should help separate the two groups more. That means the Mac Pro date was going also move sooner or later.

While other vendors are shipping some Westmere models they are also shipping the "older" models with 3500's in them also at the price points where most of the yelping centers around in this forum. Without 3620 and 3640s a significant volume of Mac Pros models don't have anything to move to without resorting to shipping "old" tech. (at which forum gets somewhat hypocritical... shipping 3500s is best move but it is "old ancient tech". )

23. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Haha yeah, that's the only reason why I haven't really been complaining about the lack of a Mac Pro update. An early update this round would just mean a (relatively speaking) later update next year.

24. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The 5000 series has had more options before as well I think. It's normal as not everyone can afford 1600$ X5680 and the TDP is also an issue. 3000 series have different market and goes pretty much hand in hand with i7 series as well (same chips with ECC support in Xeon). There is still over a year till Xeons Sandys so anything can happen. 3000 and 5000 series aren't that comparable, they have different market and means, also price. For the price of W3580, you can get X5650 which is almost 700MHz slower. Looks like Intel is currently keeping the price of 6-core pretty high, mainly meant for servers and high-end computers. When 3000 series is expanded, it'll be cheaper. Intel could expand the 3000 series, they could have done that ages ago but they aren't due marketing. This could of course happen with Sandy Bridge as well (Gainestown and Bloomfield came out at the same time though)

25. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

It isn't just marketing. Intel hasn't been able to deliver on 32nm 6 core demand if it was priced in the $500 range. They were barely keeping up with their contract orders until recently. (there are numerous reports that back that up) That is indicative they are operating without much excess capacity.

While sandy bridge isn't delivered on a new process they will need time to work out the quirks that are inevitable in the more complicated enterprise products.

Certainly Intel makes more money selling $900+ six core processors (versus AMD's $300 ones), but not purely marketing at this point.

In the overall market, the 5000 and 3000 are different. However, for the Mac Pro they are much more closely linked since they go into the same general "box". For better or worse that is just where things stand. If the 3000 was shoveled into another smaller box perhaps that would be difference but if my aunt was male she'd be my uncle. That's some woulda, coulda, shoulda issues.

It might help calm folks down if Apple dropped an updated XServe. It doesn't have much of a direct relationship with the 3000 series. I would show that Apple was sticking to the higher prices Mac products that sell in lower volumes. As much as the Mac Pro has been dangled in the wind with slow update the XServe is in worse shape competition wise. However, I suspect Apple wants to release the Workstations first and then the Server second "just because that's the order" . They also justifiably don't want to release them tooooooo far apart. Too far apart and it would backfire and the moaning would be about how Pro is dead because the XServe moved forward.