"No MacBook with [FireWire] -- no new MacBook for me,"

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by riz78612, Oct 17, 2008.

1. riz78612 macrumors regular

Apple really screwed up with no FireWire port,"

"Dropping FireWire from the MacBook only serves to force people into buying the MacBook Pro," said a user identified as "miniconvert" yesterday. "I don't need a backlit keyboard, 15-in. screen or any of the other small things the Pro model provides. I'm perfectly happy sacrificing a little bit in speed to save a lot of cash. I need FireWire so I can take videos of my kid off my SD camcorder and then upload to YouTube, put on a DVD or what ever I'd like to do."

If you think its NOT ok to NOT have a FireWire on the new Macbook please write your views.

Thanks

http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9117339

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Why do we need yet another of these threads?

Just join in on one thats already around.

3. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

some people just need to blog.
    seriously just get the pro.

4. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Thanks for the insightful and thoughtful post. :confused:

5. riz78612 thread starter macrumors regular

Get the pro- easy to say innit mate. You have to cough alot more money just to have that FireWire. Another $700+

Well there are loads of people protesting, and until Apple do include FireWire they will not get the New macbook which has caused much inconveince.

Steve Jobs said now you will be able to get the features in the Macbook which you get from the Macbook Pro. Very untrue.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

No kidding.

riz78612 has started 24 new threads since the keynote. :rolleyes:

Why do you even care? As of yesterday, it appears you didn't even know what firewire was used for.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=582517

7. riz78612 thread starter macrumors regular

Is 24 alot?

Im just Macbook hyper crazey.

Im on my laptop all day, just looking at the latest news of Macbook- cant stop myself.

Here is the link- to the latest news- with Time order-

http://news.google.co.uk/news?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUK289&um=1&tab=wn&scoring=n&q=macbook

And i need as much info as possible from others about Mac.

As i really want to get one, iv been drooling at the new ones..wow they look sexy.

So before i purchase MY first EVER MAC. I want to make the right choice.

I can wait, and wait and wait. even wait till next year and see the next model.

But i dont wanna wait too long. I think its about time i got myself a Mac. Im really bored of this 2grand (2000 pounds = $3500) Sony Vaio.

Macs just look too sexy and the technology and enginerring behind it, blows my mind and cant get off it.

Im waiting for my ideal Mac.

New Macbook Air or the New Macbook.

FireWire- would i need it? not really lol. I dont do video editing etc.

I just use the net for browsing and looking at latest news about Macbook (sad i know- lol- thats my new hobby). And studying student.

It would give me a buzz to have fast, rapid accelerating Macbook, wow 2gb ram,,,i would upgrade to 4GB ram but not via apple they charging 100 pounds more, $150 dollars more - mug, you can get 4Gb ram for $64 i read in advert- without even searching for it.

Anywayz- Macbook no FireWire......then i wont get it. Its not ideal Mac.

8. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

its because of Apple's over-ambition to use the unibody that we're seeing this issue arise. The MacBook and MacBook Pro now look nearly identical, and the only way to differentiate between them for consumers is speed and features. Before, Apple could always fall back on the sleek aluminum look of the Pro machines to get buyers to splurge, but now that everything looks the same, only performance can suffer in the hopes that you'll spend those extra dollars to get the marginally better machine.

I think it's a good thing the White MacBook is a temporary holdover for the time being. Setting the recycling potential aside, the white model still caters to many more tastes than the new Aluminum MacBook.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

So you don't have a use for firewire, the other Mac you're thinking about buying (the MacBook Air) has never supported firewire, but yet the MacBook isn't ideal for you because it doesn't have firewire.

Your logic makes zero sense to me.

And yes, starting 24 threads in 3 days is a lot, especially in the haphazard method that you're doing them in. IMO, start a new thread when you want to talk about a topic that doesn't already have at thread going about it.

10. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Is it possible to hook an external hard drive with both USB and Firewire to a MacBook, and hook the camcorder to the hard drive via Firewire and tell iMovie or Final Cut Express/Pro to use the external as the import destination, having the data go directly from the camcorder into the hard drive?

Just a thought, didn't know if that would work...

11. Tosser macrumors 68030

So you won't buy a macbook without firewire, even though you don't need it, nor will in the future? I don't understand that at all.

Wait. Seems like you could get by with a netbook. Why on earth did you buy that £2000 Vaio you say you have?

12. riz78612 thread starter macrumors regular

the £2000 Vaio i go a bargain which was hard to resist so it was well worth it.

13. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

I would have bought the MB if it had firewire, now im just going to get a vaio and hackintosh it.

If they want to remove Firewire, fine, but they should have added the expressport to allow us an option of putting in a firewire expressport card.

14. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Seems to me he's one of those people that will never find an 'ideal' laptop, if they were to add FW back to the MB he would then start 24 threads complaining about how it doesn't have a dedicated GPU and he won't buy it till it does (regardless of if he needs it or not). One thing to learn about Apple (or perhaps people) they will never be able to make 100% perfect computers for 100% of the people.

15. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I don't mind the Firewire port being removed. The only thing I've used my Firewire port was for my external hard drive. When I got my Airport Extreme Base Station, I hooked my external hard drive up to that (using USB 2.0), so now I don't even use my Firewire port.

16. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I totally agree with this. I bet almost half of the people complaining don't use their Firewire port on a regular basis. There might be a couple times where you would need it, but for the most part, it's just an extra feature.

Also, I know this has probably already been mentioned many times, but the Macbooks are the #1 selling Mac for PC switchers. Most PC users don't even have Firewire, so they're not missing out on anything. By the way... I can say very confidently that every PC user I personally know doesn't have Firewire (with the exception of one professional videographer).

17. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

I wanna know too!

Actually, I just asked the same question about 5 min. ago on the main page's new firewire article. Seems like it should work...:confused:

18. riz78612 thread starter macrumors regular

yes thats true no laptop can be made for 100% of people.

As differnt people have differnt needs.

As about the FireWire. In my case if i had the Mac right now, i probably wouldnt use the FireWire now. But maybe in the future i might need it.

To be future proof i would rather have the FireWire as many people seem to be in NEED of it.

I have an Iphone i would be able to connect it with my Mac via USB.

If im making no sense regarding FireWire- its because im new to it.

And im still preplexed right now if i would need it. So that is the reason i have put a thread.

Kind people like yourself can give me their great ideas and opinions how to use the Mac more efficneitly or buying more efficently.

19. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I think that in the future, there will be even less things using Firewire than there is now.

20. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

I think we should all be glad that Steve is making it harder to upload videos of children to the internet. That man is a hero!

21. munckee macrumors 65816

I have an external drive that runs off FW, but switching to USB won't be a deciding factor in which computer I buy. I don't use FW for video or anything, so...

22. Tosser macrumors 68030

Wouldn't it be easier to just shut down the intarweb?

23. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

12 Yes and 24 No to firewire - think that says a fair bit (with 4 abstentions)

24. Shivetya macrumors 65816

I can't tell which to laugh at more, those complaining about firewire missing or no back lighting in the base model.

Too many of the whiners come off as needing to blame Apple for not buying the latest and greatest instead of admitting they weren't going to buy a new one or didn't have the money (in fact it probably is the later for many)

the new MB is night and day better in performance from a graphics stand point and someone doing this professionally can write off the cost of the mbp...

25. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Be careful not to judge people who you don't know or guess at their intentions. Shows lack of maturity and pettiness. I know some of the posters here personally and they have posted their anger at no FW on the new Macbook. They can easily afford the new one. They also don't feel the need to shell out the additional 700 for a Pro. Some people who have money, have money b/c they don't buy what they don't need. They spend it wisely. In many cases that is why they have a lot of money.

The lack of a FW port is a legitimate complaint for many people even if you or others don't need it.