No maps update?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by furam90, Jun 2, 2014.

1. furam90 macrumors regular

Did I miss something? Or did they not mention any significant changes to maps for iOS8? I really want to stop using Google Maps, but its still vastly superior to Apple's version.

2. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

3. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I expect updates but looks like they are holding off until Sept for those.

4. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

I really hope features are added through the beta period.

5. The Phazer macrumors 68030

The New Document Model was just killed off.

I figure that means a three year turnaround for big ****ups now, so I expect Maps to be killed entirely in iOS9.

6. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Not familiar with this, could you enlighten me? :)

7. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Lion killed iDisk, and tried to sandbox all Cloud files away where you couldn't see them. As of iCloud Disk, Apple have effectively just accepted that was a horrible idea and killed the last vestiges of it.

8. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Wait, so how is this related to Maps on iOS 8?

9. crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

Maps has been getting better, but I think it's safe to say they want to give it a low-profile as to not repeat the iOS 6 launch disaster. It's also Tim's first major faux pas as CEO, let's not remind everybody (unless he can make it vastly superior to Google Maps, which isn't the case right now).

10. N3wbi3 macrumors newbie

I've recently tried both and while Google maps has better POI data, I prefer Apple maps for one key feature not available on Android : visual lock screen previews of upcoming turns.

To me it's important that when I'm coming up to a turn the Apple maps application automatically shows up on the lock screen so I could quickly glance at where I'm heading without having to even touch the phone. If I can't find a particular POI on Apple maps (as compared to Google maps) I'll simply look it up on safari in a couple of seconds and tell Siri to take me there.

11. nikomakhos macrumors member

I don't feel Apple cares about Maps that much any more. I still haven't seen any improvements in it and none of the POI errors I've reported have been corrected. And I reported them when Apple Maps was launched...

Almost no-one uses Yelp around here, so I feel Apple is placing too much trust in their data. If I ask Siri "Where is the nearest gas station?", I get 10 places and only 2 of them are actually gas stations.

My city still looks like this.

[​IMG]

12. apple.snapple macrumors regular

I think it's time to scrap Apple Maps and let us pick the default map app, be it Google Maps, Waze, MapQuest, etc. Open the API and let the developers get their hooks in the system so when I say "Hey Siri, navigate home", GMaps will pop up and do its thing. At this point, Apple is so far behind on maps, the only chance they have is to buy Garman and start there if they really want this to work.

13. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Agreed. I tried yesterday after upgrading to iOS 8 to give Apple maps another chance, that lasted about 15mins into my drive and I reverted back to Google Maps.. Back to the last page Apple Maps goes.

14. chekz0414 macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

Apple Maps isn't being updated until maybe iOS 8.1... This was mentioned when an article was published saying not all features could be tested fully in 8.0 due to more time going into OS X. Transit in Maps was one of those features. Also notice we are missing some of the other rumored apps, (Tips included which was confirmed at the Keynote)

15. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

I agree with everything you have said here!

I too reported a restaurant, near my house, which had closed before Apple Maps were even released - I reported this the week Apple released their maps and yet it is STILL showing....:confused::eek:

To be honest, I have NEVER used Apple's maps since they released them (I don't trust it to be correct) and always just rely on good old Google Maps.

16. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

They have to save some stuff for the Fall. Either that or 8.1

17. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I just can't put the same trust into apple maps that I can put into GMaps right now, but I do give it another chance every month or so and it is slowly getting better. I remember that just 3 years ago google maps was still TERRIBLE. Google put their minds and resources to fixing it and they did. Apple has yet to make the decision to do the same. They could do it if they wanted to.

Google maps went from terrible to incredible in about one year.

18. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Then you don't know if it's good or not. You're creating a case that hasn't happened.

Also I just love some of you guys here who hate on the Apple maps and decide to jump onto Google maps which IMO sucks too. I don't bother using these freebees. I use the Garmin or Tom Tom mapping system. Much more accurate for turn by turn. So go ahead and enjoy your freebee Google maps, it's not without issues.

19. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

LOL, +1. Apple has had plenty of time to sort their maps out and they've done very little. Seeing as you done it, I just asked Siri for the nearest gas stations and it's come up with stations that are over 5 miles away from my house as the closest, even though I can count at least 6 within a 1 mile radius. Yelp! is terrible as a data source, even living in a city like London where you'd expect more accurate and greater POI data.

20. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

Apple maps did its job and that was to push Google to make a Google maps that was not from 2007.

I use Apple maps for turn by turn, I don't tend to have problems with it in my area, but then again almost every single place in my town is on yelp.

21. SuperRob macrumors regular

Extensions? ;)

That said, Apple isn't going to shine a PR spotlight on Maps after the last debacle. They'll just keep quietly updating it in the background, which they can do because the issue wasn't the map app (which was just fine), but the underlying ma and POI data, which is atrocious. That's all stuff that can be refined behind the scenes.

22. furam90 thread starter macrumors regular

You would think they would've made an investment in a good mapping company instead of blowing 3 billion on Dr.Dre.

23. Zcott macrumors 68020

lol. Not happening.

24. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Anyone know if in Calendar locations are searched via Maps like on the Mac? I always find myself entering events on the Mac calendar because of the lookup feature for location via maps.

25. taedouni macrumors 65816

Apple in the past year has purchased quite a few mapping companies, they're probably still working on the refinements and will do one large update soon. Maybe iOS 8.1 or maybe introduce it in the GM.

Remember, Apple made a mistake by rushing Apple Maps out the door. I only assume that they don't want to rush out a new update to only have it criticized. They probably just want to do a complete turn around to get appraisals instead of criticisms.