No MBP release until April?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by John Purple, Jan 24, 2008.

1. John Purple macrumors regular

January is coming to it's end.
    I just checked the Buyer's Guide. In all the last years there were only two desktop releases in February (iMac 2003 and MacMini in 2006) and none in March. And there has never been a MB or MBP release in February or March :eek:
    Hurry Up :apple: Pleeeeeze. One more week to go.

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I personally don't think they're going to be updated until summer. Each day you guys wait is another you could have spent enjoying perfectly good computers. Needless to say, I'd buy.

3. akadmon macrumors 68010

Apple needs to do something quick to help their falling stock price. Delaying the update until April, two months after PC manufactures will have started cranking out the new Penryns, is fiscal insanity:eek:

Chances are, no new MBP by the end of February, and Apple loses my money. Those Sony FZs look good enough to me, especially if I can get one with Penryn by then.

4. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

heatmiser: I agree with you completely, and this is the mindset I had when I purchased my MacBook Pro last week. Why sit around and wait for the next best thing when you can already buy a machine that's had several refinements and will be up to the task for years to come? I just don't understand why one would need to play the waiting game for so long.

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

Apple's falling stock price has nothing to do with the timing of a MacBook Pro update and has everything to do with the looming recession in the US economy. Conversely, a MacBook Pro update will do little or nothing to increase their stock price. The US stock market is completely whacked these days and it has nothing to do with the portable computer market.

Apple just had the best quarter in their history, relative to revenue and earnings, a 35% increase relative to a year ago. That's $2.7 billion, for an ending cash balance of over $18.4 billion. In todays electronics market, it would be pretty much impossible for a personal computer hardware/software company to do better than that. In the face of that rather remarkable economic performance, it's unlikely that adding Penryn processors to the MBP lineup would be little more than a drop in the stock market bucket.

Bottom line, Apple seems to have a pretty good handle on how to run a business if we use financial performance as a yardstick, your (and others) dissatisfaction with their product update timeline notwithstanding. They'll update when they update, and even on as accurate a website as MacRumors, the ability to predict that timeline is sketchy at best. IOW, buy the computer you need now from what's available in the market now -- PC or Mac. If their timeline doesn't suit yours, I'm sure that they'll, regretfully, subtract the value of the Penryn MBP you didn't buy from that $18.4 billion and try to muddle on.

6. lucky3killer macrumors regular

Learn how to be patient.

Apple is behind of major of PC companies for new hardware, that's normal.

If you are very impatient then give up to buy MacBook Pro and go toward to buy PC laptops.

HP has new Penryn right now, Dell will get one soon.

7. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Falling stock price, ha! Apple's recent events show that the stock market seldom cares about a company's ACTUAL PERFORMANCE. Apple released their Q4 numbers last week and said they had their best quarter ever. But since the analysts were expecting apple to sell a Gazillion iphones instead of a reasonable Bazillion iphones, apple didn't make the number. Add the recession scares and recent stock market craziness and people panicked and did a major sell-off.

It's just sad that the analysts have so much control. There are a lot of good companies that have crappy stock performance because analysts either don't like them or set unreasonable performance goals.

8. akadmon macrumors 68010

They desperately need to create some buzz soon, even if the impact on the price of Apple stock is short-lived. MBAir has clearly turned out to be a dud in the "buzz" category.

9. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

How about some sales and price drops for all those $600 checks folks are getting from Uncle Sam. :D:D:D:D:D

10. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

I definitely agree with this. I have the Merom (pre-SR) MBP @ 2.33GHz and I don't yet feel like I'm missing out on anything from the newer versions. You would definitely be happy with the latest models.

11. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Apple has to be buzzing from their record 1.7 billion quarterly profit. If you think they are hurting and need to release a MBP to rectify anything, you're mistaken.

And the MBP update will likely hit in the February to March area, despite the fact nothing has been released in this category in that period before.

What else would I spend my tax refund on?!

12. Hmac macrumors 68020

$18.4 billion CASH sitting around. Apple doesn't have to do ANYTHING "desperately". There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that Apple needs to rethink their business model. It may piss you off, but these kinds of dire predictions and shrill consumer warnings on sites like this one have been an absolutely routine part of Apple's 30 year history.

13. gothamm macrumors 6502a

what makes you folks think that apple won't skip penryn SR altogether and go straight to montivina.

i'd say an update in april sounds about right.

14. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Montevina will come in May at the absolute earliest (mid-Summer before MBP delivery).If they did that, the MBP will have a gone about a full year without an update. And it would get updated Q1 to Q2 in 09 for Nehalem. That's not balanced.

As quick as they were to adopt SR and other updates for the MBP, I don't think they'll just skip Penryn SR.

15. Type121 macrumors regular

I believe that's exactly what they'll do. Why design a new laptop line that everybody knows will need to be re-designed in three months?

16. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

HUH? MBA is in the news everywhere! Apple's got more buzz than any other company on the planet.
    And to the OP, buy now and enjoy. The wait will drain the life out of you (and never end, ever).

17. John Purple thread starter macrumors regular

I'm Apple customer since 1982. I learned to be patient, boy. Still it is time for an update. I'm not going to buy a three day old bread as I know a fresh one is in the oven.

18. akadmon macrumors 68010

I'm sorry, but MBAir has done nothing to change the perception among the analysts that Apple sales are headed down. Last time I checked the stock was down again today, even though the rest of the tech sector, MS included, is up.

What happened this week to AAPL makes no sense, but yet it did happen, is happening. I don't care how much cash Apple is sitting on, they still have to answer to their shareholders. The stock is not going back to $200 any time soon; still, it behooves Apple to at least do something to get a $10-$20 semi-sustainable bump soon, else every little bit of bad news will keep punishing the stock to an insanely unreasonable extent.

19. Winglet macrumors regular

Winglet

I couldn't agree with you more. I am so tired of postings that whine and complain, with each passing day, that there is no MBP update! I will never use all the capacity that my current MBP has in my lifetime. If you are only using it to post and whine here, you certainly don't one more powerful than the current models.

I bought mine two months ago and have not regretted it for a minute.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I waited until MWSF. I didn't like the MBA so I ordered and received the base MBP this past Monday. I needed it because my classes start on the 29th. Even if Apple updates the MBP line tomorrow, mine will still do everything that I need or want it to.

Bottom line, if you need it get it.

21. mashinhead macrumors 68020

i have the same machine and it really is great, the new revisions as far as chips and processor go do not tempt me because since the intel switch each new processor really isn't as much of a practical increase as it's hyped to be (you won't even notice it). The only thing that would either temp me to upgrade, or that would be worth waiting for in my opinion is a total case redesign.

22. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

That, my forum friend, explains why I'm also waiting PERFECTLY. I have a system that's getting me by right now, so I'm lucky enough I can wait. Others though...if you're in NEED of it now (meaning you don't have a running system currently), then buy now. If you have something that can squeeze you by until a refresh, by all means wait. Wait for that fresh bread to get delivered!

23. Sannekita macrumors regular

Sannekita

Hell yeah, I'm in line at that bakery!
    They just have to come up with a new one these days...

24. burp43 macrumors newbie

In six days, they are both old bread. I'm going to eat now. :rolleyes:

25. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Ditto. I bought mine last month. Not the latest specs, but the best price, brand new. It will serve me well for at least 4 years.