Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akadmon

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
New England
With the MBAir all but a certainty, I think it's extremely unlikely we will be seeing any meaningful update to the MBP line tomorrow. In fact, I think the MBP won't be updated at least for a period of 3 months after the introduction of MBAir. Simply put, Apple will not want to take the attention (hence the sales) away from MBAir by updating the MBPs. Makes perfect business sense to me, though at the same time it p!sses me off, as I'm one of the many who have been waiting for an MBP update since the launch of Leopard. But who knows, maybe Apple will surprise me and load enough power and doodads into this new toy to make me change my buying plans.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I think that we won't hear much about it but it wouldn't surprise me if there is a silent update at the same time.

akadmon

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
New England
theres no guarantee of anything though. the truth is is just wont know until tomorrow

Hey, this is a rumor site after all! :)

I predict that at best we'll see a processor upgrade inside the same old case. For me that's not enough. I'm so tired of waiting. This new MBP is for my daughter (will be her college comp), and I'm frankly sick of her using my Mac Pro for hours on end to play WoW while we're waiting for the new MBP (her old PC is all but dead). :(

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City

I predict that at best we'll see a processor upgrade inside the same old case. For me that's not enough. I'm so tired of waiting. This new MBP is for my daughter (will be her college comp), and I'm frankly sick of her using my Mac Pro for hours on end to play WoW while we're waiting for the new MBP (her old PC is all but dead). :(

she definitely does not need a MBP does she? Im sure she will be happier with a cool little macbook. Is she going into digital design or something?

akadmon

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
New England
she definitely does not need a MBP does she? Im sure she will be happier with a cool little macbook. Is she going into digital design or something?

Not the I know. She's torn between political science and environmental engineering.

I just don't want her to complain a couple of years from now when she switches her major to astrophysics or decides to pick up digital photography as a serious hobby.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
My MBP produces Mac Air. I feel it from the vents everytime my mac is on. Feels nice.. :)

HenMaster6000

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2003
i agree. the MBP and MBA would be at odds if they were both introduced/updated tomorrow.

but don't ignore the glaring fact that the MBP is, in the end, overdue for renewal. i'm thinking that the MBP will get a non-glamourous Penryn speed-bump at some point after the MBA steals the conference tomorrow.

unless...steve decides to apply some great new technology to the entire line (multitouch). this makes sense, because all of the laptops are up for renewal anyway. multitouch to all the machines, and i could see him updating all three simultaneously.

thoughts?

grooveattack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
i think that the MBP will get a mention at the start and jobs will tell us its going penryn. Then after he will make a real big deal of this 'macbook air' ( possibly making it seem godlike in one way or another) making every one forget about the MBP update

AVMasterpiece

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2006
I agree with grooveattack, it makes sense that he should update at least something on the MBP. I am hoping so at least, as I have been waiting for an update since this summer to upgrade my Powerbook G4. The new Processors seem likely. I am afraid that they will be announced today and shipping over the next several weeks. This new The gentleman who started this thread has an excellent point, whatever new device is being offered, the so called MacBook Air, would benefit from an initial exclusive market. Why would you want to have twins and then favor one right? Cheers,

T

nilocalling

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2007
Belgium
I've also been waiting for new MacBook Pro's since the Leopard release. My 12-inch PowerBook is to slow and to small for designing comfortably in Photoshop or other apps. I also have my doubts on Steve announcing an MBP update today. Most rumor sites talk about the MacBook Air, Apple TV and iPhone, so I think there won't be time discussing the MBPs.

In that case I hope there will be a quiet update later this week.

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
It makes perfect business sense for Apple to significantly update the MBP along with the launch of the MacBook Air. In fact, they would want you to purchase an MBP instead of a MacBook Air for one simple reason: it's more expensive.

There is no reason for Apple to force you to spend your money on a less expensive product.

evilyankeefan

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2007
While the MacBook Air will be the focus of MW, the buyers of it are in a different class than those who want the MBP. Really don't think they will stomp on each other (I personally want a new MBP regardless of what UltraPortable is produced).

My guess is a very quick update that Penryn is being used in Mac Pro's and MBP's being updated. Nothing elaborate, but a mention nonetheless to show Apple's commitment to Penryn.

Hoping as well that a MBP update happens today. I'll take Penryn. Anything extra is just a bonus. But I really want to make a visit to the Apple store today and bring home some goodness. :)

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
With the MBAir all but a certainty, I think it's extremely unlikely we will be seeing any meaningful update to the MBP line tomorrow. In fact, I think the MBP won't be updated at least for a period of 3 months after the introduction of MBAir. Simply put, Apple will not want to take the attention (hence the sales) away from MBAir by updating the MBPs. Makes perfect business sense to me, though at the same time it p!sses me off, as I'm one of the many who have been waiting for an MBP update since the launch of Leopard. But who knows, maybe Apple will surprise me and load enough power and doodads into this new toy to make me change my buying plans.

I agree with this logic. I think you are spot-on.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida

just go buy the current model, god you're acting like its diseased or something

theres nothing wrong with it, there are thousands of people on this site that have one and love it, i dont see the big deal...they arent going to put anything earth shattering into a newer model that will make you want to go out and kill yourself just because you bought the older one before it was released (at least i'd hope not)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.