No more dock cable

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by solarguy17, Jun 7, 2011.

1. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

With the intoduction of iCloud, over the activation and upgrades, AirPlay, and varous other features that will allow the iPhone to be used as a stand alone device, do you think they might eliminate the dock connector comepletly with iphone 4S or iPhone 5?

Seems like the only thing really need to make this happen would be induction charging and then no more cable/doc connector.

Of course this would also apply to iPod touch and iPad.

Personally I think this would be great. I have no use for the cable other than charging. Adding in induction charging to elimate the cable and dock connector would be amazing!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Of course you'd also need completely new speaker docks/hi-fi amplifiers/car integration kits etc that also don't need the dock connector...

3. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

iCloud is good for updating a new album I buy or a new app.

It will not be good for doing the first 30 GB sync I have to do. I'd still want cables for large transfers.

Like, I use my iPad to capture 20-30 GB of RAW photos when I travel. I use the sync cable to copy them back to my computer when I get home. I don't want to do that over wifi.

There will always be uses for SOME kind of cable. Now, could they eventually change it to a mini-usb? I suppose, but I don't really see that happening anytime soon either.

5. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Wireless syncing will be slow compared to using a cable. This morning I wanted to try syncing 900mb of photos to iCloud and the estimated time to complete was 6 hours. The cable and 30 pin connector aren't going anywhere.

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I wonder if Apple will use a micro- or mini-USB for the next iPhone and jettison the dock connector. Bluetooth could be used to control the iPhone/iPad and a small USB connector could provide power.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

No, they'll include a cable. They need it for charging and I doubt they are going to make an inductive charging unit. Plus, if they are going to include a 30 pin slot on the phone, they might as well include the cable. They certainly won't take out that.