No more glowing Apple logo

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fyun89, Oct 27, 2016.

1. fyun89 macrumors 6502

The logo was an iconic design point of Macbooks. I had a feeling that it would phase out since the Retina Macbook, but it was confirmed today that it is indeed gone... Now that its gone, i would like to hear what you guys think about it.

For me, I'm a bit sad. Steve Jobs probably tried to force the engineers to include it (or even upgrade it) although they added the Touch toolbar (which i think is the reason for the removal of the logo -- power consumption).

2. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

They removed it because overall Macs have lost their glow.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Meh about this. The glowing Apple logo never really added any value or "experience" beyond being a gimmick.

4. junkw macrumors regular

5. fyun89 thread starter macrumors 6502

A lot of people tried to personalize their macbook by adding skins that use the glowing logo. I think it is a "statement" design element for both Apple and the users.. It was rather an "emotional" feature than a "rational" one. And Apple had a lot of "emotion" when Jobs was still around.. Just my opinion

6. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

I don't think it consumed any additional power. It just used the light that was used to illuminate the display. I'm a bit sad to see it go, but it won't affect my user experience.

7. DeltaHF macrumors member

Really, really sad to see the glowing Apple logo removed. It was a cool design feature that helped give MacBooks a bit more personality.

8. fyun89 thread starter macrumors 6502

True that it wont affect my experience at all.

I think it had separate LED, or if else, wouldnt the display part behind the logo be dimmer due to having two outputs?

9. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

No, it is just a cutout in the back of the LCD panel allowing the backlight to shine through. I never noticed any dimness in that area.

10. WeemanWise macrumors 6502

WeemanWise

11. Savor Suspended

Savor

Well, "12 rMacBook let go of it last year so it was kinda expected. Yeah, I liked that glowing Apple logo because how it illuminates around my table since I tend to always be inside a dark room with the lights off but the TV is on.

But the total deal breaker for me is the death of the USB-A alot sooner. Not wasting my time trying to keep dongles around. And I am probably more concerned with the removal of the SD slot and MagSafe than I am with the glowing Apple logo.

12. exexs macrumors member

I heard in the Cupertino hallways that you'll get it next year as an option for only 99$