No more iPads for PC World UK

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Artmuzz, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Artmuzz macrumors 6502

I went into my local PC World and tried out the new iPad. It does have a very good build and handy for browsing but I'm not too interested in buying one yet. Anyway, according to the salesman, the reason they are out of stock is because Apple have refused to give PC World anymore iPads to sell even though they were the best selling device in the store and he also went on to say that there are hundreds of iPads in the PC World warehouse but Apple are refusing them to be sold. He also told me that Apple complained about PC World using the Apple logo on their walls so they had to take the logo down.:confused::eek:

If this is true what the PC World salesman is saying I find this absolutely pathetic and very petty and shame on Apple.

Art

2. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    What will PC World have to do with the remaining stock? Send them to Apple? Or can they sell them later?

PC World had a good run of it with that exclusivity deal..

3. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know but I find it strange how PC World still have the iPad on display for customers to try out even though they will not sell them again.

Art

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

seems kinda silly to me, and reminds me of something that a Best Buy employee would make up. after all the years I've spent in retail the one thing I've learned is that the sales people are absolutely clueless.

5. jabbawok macrumors regular

jabbawok

Wouldn't be the first time someone from PC World/Curries were talking utter Bol@@ks.

For quite some time pc world were displaying the old rainbow apple logo on their walls, It wouldn't surprise me if app,e told them to take it down..

6. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

No, this was the new Apple logo that Apple told PC World to take down.

Art

7. UglyLittleSpud macrumors member

When was this? I bought one at PC World on Saturday.

8. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

About 2 weeks ago. According the PC World site the iPad is still out of stock.

Art

9. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Every time I go to Dixons, PC World, Comet or Currys, I know that I will hear speculations, lies, misinformed guesses and just general crap from sales staff who know hardly anything about what they are selling.

I am also aware that if I buy anything, they will try to sell some of the most useless warranties ever imaginable, at an extortionate cost.

10. UglyLittleSpud macrumors member

Hedge End, Southampton has/had them, if anyones interested.

11. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

A colleague i work with bought his 2nd iPad from PC shed this weekend, so the salesman was probably taking bollocks.

2nd iPad to replace his bent 1st iPad (Incident with car door apparently - claimed on insurance).

12. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

But just as well, you can go to West Quay and purchase it from Apple - the same price, but a completely different shopping experience.

13. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

To be honest, it sounds like the salesman was trying to hype up the iPad to try to get you to buy one.

14. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

Not at all. The exact opposite. The salesman was telling me that he is very disappointed with the iPad because it has no multiple USB ports, it doesn't run Mac OSX and the iPhone OS is crap when it comes to downloading anything off the net. He basically said it was nothing but hype and nothing more than a giant iPhone/iPod Touch.

Art

15. rustyday macrumors newbie

Pc world crap

You were lucky to find a member of staff in PC World - I have to search for one!
    I have just tried to phone customer services and got put through to 4 wrong numbers. I phoned for technical advice and got charged £42.00 for the wrong advice and spoke to a guy that knew sweet F.A about computers. I am trying to ring to complain but they will not give me a number and put me through to Curries! and then the tech guys again - staff do not even know how to put a phone call through. They should rename themselves Prat Customer World as they treat us all as if we just that. If anyone knows a customer service no could you pass on? I am not surprised Apple refused to sell to them - they have got to know them.

16. rustyday macrumors newbie

You are 100% right - none of the staff know what they are talking about and lie about anyting or just make details up. Thats ifyou are lucky enough to find a member of staff.

17. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Maybe if they changed the name of the store from PC World to Apple World they would get more iPads...

18. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

Way to revive a long dead thread!

But since it has been bumped - anyone who buys anything from Currys/PC World deserves exactly what they get! (crap service, ripoff prices) :D

19. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

Sounds a bit like Applecare :D (Well the extortionate bit anyway)

It's pretty funny how PCW will try to sell you it for a £5 mouse or whatever.

When you don't need one they swarm like flies pestering you with "can I help you", when you do want one they're dashing across the shop as fast as they can without actually running, head down desperately trying to avoid eye contact - such is the nature of these places!

Not that they're much help anyway, if you ask a question they will just read the label for you (probably wondering if you're illiterate haha)

The place is ok if you know what you're doing and need something in a hurry. It's also the go-to place for Apple keyboards etc here (nearest Apple store is approx. 200 mile round trip)

20. MacHamster68, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

dont believe a word what they say at pc world they absolute are clueless when it comes to PC's never mind Mac's , and their warehousing and logistics department is a total mess with even more clueless people working there
    its more then likely the one you did ask was just to lazy to walk in the warehouse to look for the iPads in the mess they have in the warehouse , just dont waste your time there , if you cant see something on a shelf , order it online at the pc world site , its easier and faster and cheaper too , then getting a answer of one of the salesmen there and is more informative if you want to know spec's

example i did want a apple alu keyboard i went to pc world as its just 10 miles away , ask about the keyboards and got the answer
    "no we dont have them in stock ,dont know when we get them " fustrated i went home and looked online because there is another pc world shop nearby about 15 miles away still closer then a apple store ,order online but pickup in store is a great feature of their website
    and according the website it was possible to pick up one in the very same store which did say they have none in stock , so i called pc world
    and the lady on the phone confirmed that this shop has 30 of the keyboards in stock ready to be collected , when i went back there to confront the salesman with that info he was just looking totally clueless and went in the warehouse and came back after a couple minutes with a keyboard , and a" sorry but the warehousing staff are at fault because they had been on the Rack with the iMac's and not on the rack with keyboards "

21. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

And this is why you shouldn't listen to him. He's obviously clueless.

22. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

I believe I have a just as good example: I went in there and asked about purchasing an iMac a few years ago - I was told "Oh this is the G5, we have one in the back open box, it has all these amazing features and its bang up to date" (This was in April/May '06 I believe), I ask about a new Intel one and they still try to flog me the by-then-outdated G5. It took about 20 minutes of this before I left and just went to the Apple Store.

23. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

PC World employees are very anti Apple. Look at their displays and Macs and Apple related stuff is usually in a dusty corner with outdated products, wrongly listed products and the staff simply try and get you to buy a PC.

Sometimes I go in just for a laugh to hear what new crap they are spouting hehe. Its hard to keep a straight face sometimes :D

They are very poorly trained and many are very rude when you genuinely want to buy something. Luckily they are hard to find as well.

I only go into PC World, Curry's or Dixons now to 'play' with the staff :)

EDIT: Once they had the 'new' white screen iMac with the specs for the weird floaty screen iMac. The price was about £100 cheaper than it should of been. I thought about buying it and playing dumb on the price and demanding the price it was advertised if they noticed. Then selling it, but for £100 it was a bit of a faff so didnt bother.

24. Scuby macrumors regular

Think i'd almost prefer PC World than the Apple shop! Certainly if i wanted to try something before buying it - in the Apple Store in West Quay you have to fight through all the local kids using it as a free internet cafe. I know Apple is known for a good retail experience, and it's very nice when it's quiet, but on a weekend it's just horrendous! Kick the children out who just sit playing on the internet and it'd be much improved.

David

25. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Went to PC Shed in new oscott (Birmingham) for a DVD writer the other week. Actually it did surprise me as I wasn't hassled by staff and the lady on the desk was friendly.

Price was ok as well. I find if you need a part like a DVD writer quickly then they're not too bad. For everything else I'd avoid.