Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Austin M.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Washington
I'm done with screen shields. I get them on perfectly everytime, but I love the feel of the glass and "It takes a lot to scratch a 4".

Anyone agree with me?

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
no... The Powersupport Clear HD one feels just as good and adds protection. :D

vong

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
it feels the same to me (probably because i had a protector on since day one)

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Used a PS crystal for 7 months. I finally took it off a few days ago and going completely naked. First time I've ever done so for any iPhone, and I've gotta say it's liberating. The screen looks so incredible too. Nothing can beat the look of that smooth, clear glass.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
I have to use a screen protector. If my phone was my child, Protection Services would take him away in a heartbeat.

I use a Power Support Crystal as well and it is amazing.

barkingDog

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
i felt that way too until i got a light scratch on the screen :(

slapped on a ps antiglare and pretty happy with it

I'm wondering if those reporting scratches on their iPhone 4 (front side) are actually on the oleophobic coating and not the glass itself?

I've read where this is far more common ('coating scratches') than actual scratching into the glass. But this 'reading' is anecdotal, non-edited content information from various Interwebz sites.

For those with scratches, can you actually feel a small divot with your fingernail on the 'scratched' front screen? What say you all?

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
I ran it naked for 5 months, now I have hairline scratches that can be seen only in direct sunlight at an angle. I'm ocd enough that it pissed me off, so screen protection from now on. I cannot feel the scratches, and they may very well be just in the coating, but they are there.

techdude6693

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2010
Irvine, CA
I used to avoid screen protectors, but I started noticing some hairlines on mine too. Luckily, something went screwy with my wi-fi and the Apple Store Replaced it for me. Ever since, I always use a shield. Plus I have so many lying around from the ones that included with cases

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
Completely agree. Even when I manage to get a screen protector on perfectly, it spoils the screen for me. Picks up grease and dirt more especially at the edges, scratches much more easily. Why would apple put the oeleophobic coating on if the screen wasn't designed to be used naked? The glass is much nicer bare. I do worry a bit about scratches and for this reason use a leather pouch. I keep wondering about using a bumper and getting rid of the pouch but when I've tried this before with screen protectors, I've hated it and only lasted a day or two. Considering trying just bumper without any screen protection. Anyone do this?

deeesea

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2010
I'm done with screen shields. I get them on perfectly everytime, but I love the feel of the glass and "It takes a lot to scratch a 4".

Anyone agree with me?

sure i agree. noticed a scratch 3 months ago, and i said screw it, been using the device with no SP since

Waiting for the my next phone, whatever it may be, this thing can go to hell now :D

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Using only the bumper is the best compromise you can get. It still looks awesome, while adding a bit of protection

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Completely agree. Even when I manage to get a screen protector on perfectly, it spoils the screen for me. Picks up grease and dirt more especially at the edges, scratches much more easily. Why would apple put the oeleophobic coating on if the screen wasn't designed to be used naked? The glass is much nicer bare. I do worry a bit about scratches and for this reason use a leather pouch. I keep wondering about using a bumper and getting rid of the pouch but when I've tried this before with screen protectors, I've hated it and only lasted a day or two. Considering trying just bumper without any screen protection. Anyone do this?

Yup got a black xqisit bumper that protects the back and sides. Very nice.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I hate using any type of case or bumper but I did put PS crystal screen protectors on the front and back. feels fine to me and I could barely tell they are there.

weisjt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2010
Southern Pines, North Carolina
everyone drops there phone wether it be 6 inches or 5 feet you will drop it and hit the screen and it will scratch or shatter, i just dropped mine from my lap in a full size moving truck and it bounced all the way down to the ground and all i had was a nic in my power support if it were not on there it would have been glass crack or scratch for sure.

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
everyone drops there phone wether it be 6 inches or 5 feet you will drop it and hit the screen and it will scratch or shatter, i just dropped mine from my lap in a full size moving truck and it bounced all the way down to the ground and all i had was a nic in my power support if it were not on there it would have been glass crack or scratch for sure.
Really? This happens to everyone does it and the glass always cracks or scratches? I didn't know that was fact

weisjt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2010
Really? This happens to everyone does it and the glass always cracks or scratches? I didn't know that was fact

98.6 percent (not a proven number) have dropped there phone and if it has no screen shield it will scratch or crack it hit on the screen, i find it hard to believe that there are people out there who have never ever slipped and dropped there phone. be realistic using a screen shield is a good idea.

these glass screens are not by any means indestructible so i feel what i am saying is a valid point.

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010

Wow that sucks. What case were you using? And do you personally like ps more then SGP?

Missjenna

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2010
Washington
I honestly prefer the look and feel of a naked iphone, but I am way to OCD about scratches so I keep a shield on the front and back.

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
98.6 percent (not a proven number) have dropped there phone and if it has no screen shield it will scratch or crack it hit on the screen, i find it hard to believe that there are people out there who have never ever slipped and dropped there phone. be realistic using a screen shield is a good idea.

these glass screens are not by any means indestructible so i feel what i am saying is a valid point.
I'm on my third iphone (had the 3G, 3GS and now the 4). Occasional light drops and no cracks or serious scratches. No screen protectors used on any of them. On the 4, the back is easily and cheaply replaced if need be and for anything really serious I have insurance. I'm not saying I will never seriously drop it or dmamage the screen but it is a gross over exageration that 98.6 percent of people drop their iphones and crack and scratch the screen.

You know screen protectors are less scratch resistant than the screen so all the scratches your protector picks up would not necessarily be on the screen itself if it was naked. Of course some might, but personally I believe I get more enjoyment out of my iphones using them naked as apple intended, rather than wrapping them in cheap plastic.

weisjt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2010
Wow that sucks. What case were you using? And do you personally like ps more then SGP?

i had a apple bumper with a slick wraps wood skin on the back and a ps crystal on the front, the bumper and front screen shield got some damage on them enough for me to take them off.

@aldo82 i didnt say that minor drops will break you phone i just said that minor drops will cause hairline scratches and i dont want small minor hairline scratches so i use screen shields.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.