No more VisualHub/iSquint/AudialHub

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aristobrat, Oct 3, 2008.

1. aristobrat macrumors G4

Looks like the author has closed up shop for good (with his usual wit -- "it's not you, it's me"). :(

http://techspansion.com/

I love VisualHub. Wonder if this had to do with HandBrake being able to more than just DVDs now?!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Best US$23.22 I ever spent. I'd pay it again for it to keep going.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

really? how?

4. aristobrat thread starter macrumors G4

5. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

6. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I'm sort of miffed at the news. I just purchased AudialHub last week — partly because I knew the bugs would be fixed with future updates just like VisualHub.

Apparently not.

7. LastLine macrumors 65816

I know, truely gutted - I was actually going to pay for this yesterday but didn't get around to it - too bad I guess!

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

what do you do if you want this program yet cant download it?

besides resorting to torrents

9. wmealer macrumors regular

wonder what the chances are of some programmer picking up the code and continuing the project? More than half of my movies in iTunes were encoded with VH. It's a great little app.

10. LinMac macrumors 65816

Seconded, but Handbrake seems to be moving in the general decoding direction.

VisualHub wouldn't have a hard time competing with more features such as having a secondary decoder based on mencoder. VisualHub released as open source would be a great addition to any project, but it doesn't seem he is going to go that direction just yet.

11. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

13. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Yeah, I like all the settings it has (iPhone, normal, go nuts...). Does Handbrake do all that too?

14. LinMac macrumors 65816

Handbrake is a very handy application for ripping DVDs. They are working on additional application support for converting files, but I think I will be sticking with VisualHub for the time being.

15. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

Deeply saddened by the news. I agree it was the best US$25 ever spent. I use it all the time. I hope it will work under snow leopard.

16. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

I paid for it as well but didn't get as much use out of it as I thought I would. Nevertheless when I do use it, VisualHub is still the fastest around. I'm always impressed how fast it does two-pass encoding. It's good to see HandBrake will be picking up the slack in some ways.

An especially apt dialog box:

Attached Files:

17. Padraic macrumors regular

Wow, I bought Visualhub about year ago. Honestly one of the best apps I've ever purchased (bang for buck and usefullness)...

18. Forced Perfect macrumors 6502

Forced Perfect

Why isn't this story posted to the front page?

The loss of an amazing Apple developer is news, dammit.

I shall forever miss my VisualHub Xgrid support (it died in Leopard and looks like it will never be fixed).

19. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

RIP.... :(

Great app. Fastest 2-pass encoding I've encountered on my MP.

20. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Great point. I'd have to agree now that I think of it. :(

This is a pretty big piece of the Mac landscape to disappear for no apparent reason whatsoever and under strange circumstances. They didn't get sued, didn't go bankrupt, didn't get bought out, didn't get crushed by the competition... it's senseless.

Yet, I am irritated that the developer didn't announce his retirement nor give his product away at the end. He simply tore down his site and gave a cryptic goodbye. That's lame. :mad:

21. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

dude, visualhub is like the best thing that ever happened to me and my ipod and psp!! i cant beleive its going to shut down!
    well handbrake better catch up. but im still going to use visualhub until handbrake makes sumthing that 10 times better than Visualhub

22. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

It isn't going to shut down... it HAS shut down.

"...After much soul-searching (it's not you, it's me), for personal reasons, Techspansion is closing its virtual doors."

Maybe $24 for lifetime updates was foolish? (Imagine MS... "Buy Windows 95 and get Vista for free!" Duh!)

23. billabong macrumors 6502

Visual Hub was one of the best for converting for my AppleTV. I really hope that somebody picks up the torch. I know we will be ok for a while until there are some major changes to the Mp4 format and what AppleTV can handle.

24. advan031 macrumors 6502

I just bought my copy a few days ago, so just in time! What a great application indeed. That sucks that we won't get any further update.

25. mrtune macrumors 6502a

This is a shame. I bought this program about 7 months ago and use it regularly to convert videos for my iPhone, Apple TV, and Blackerry. It's a wonderfull app.

RIP visualhub :(