No MPB yet. School starts on monday. Help? ( To wait or not-thread)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Pejego, Aug 20, 2008.

  1. Pejego macrumors newbie

    Jun 7, 2008
    Hello, i've been looking at the Macbook Pro for about one year now. September the first to be exact, it was then i fell in love with my girlfriends Macbook. At the first 7 months i didnt have tha cash (Im still in school). And Sciens then i have been waiting for the right time and aswell been trying to decide wheater to buy a Macbook Pro or just the Macbook. I was hoping to get some clearense to the head and thenfore i write to you.

    I cant really see why i should buy the MBP for other reasons than the screen. But i still like it better, and 50% of the time its going to be my only computer. Ill edit photos and maybe some 3d CAD on it. Thats all that i need other than Mucis,Movies,Surfing.. etc. But at the same time i never spend money on myself.
    Can i justifie the extra cash for a better look and bigger screen?

    And to the everlasting question. When to buy, I know the rule says Buy when you need otherwize wait. I wont _need_ the computer untill next summer, but ill be computer less 50% of the time (Aint allowed to use my fathers work computer while im in his house). What is it possible that we could se in the comming uppdate? What would the montevina chipset help me with?

    Im kinda confused as i dont even know what im w8ing for. On the otherside it would really suck to spend all that cash and the next week my computer is outdated and sold for like 70% of the price.

    Kind Regards
    John Areschoug

    P.s. Im from Sweden, so i know my english kinda sucks but im trying to learn. So if you feel like it correct me. D.s.

    Edit: Its a Questinon about MB/MBP... im sick of windows.
  2. 7031 macrumors 6502


    Apr 6, 2007
    It sounds to me that yeah, you should just get the normal Macbook, though admitedly the Dell Studios look pretty good, considering what specs you get for the price.

    Of course, a big factor for you may be the OS, so if you really do want to try Mac OS then definitely go for the Macbook, since of course, you can't (legally) run it on anything else.

    Also, if you can afford to, get the Macbook Pro. Yes, it's more expensive, but you get what you pay for. Keep in mind that the normal Macbooks are reportedly not as good build quality.
  3. Scepticalscribe Contributor


    Jul 29, 2008
    The Far Horizon
    Welcome to the forum and indeed, welcome to the world of Mac, even if you have to wait before you actually own one. I'd go with the standard advice - buy when you need, rather than what the spec, or update, or calendar suggests, unless you are te type of person who absolutely must have the latest in technology. Anyway, the MBP is a terrific machine; fast, beautifully designed with an appealing aesthetic, powerful, great performance, and a superb screen. I'm a recent switcher - I got my MBP in April as a birthday present to myself - and I'm very happy with it. The MBP is so well-designed that it will last you years when you get one; I'm not the sort who changes computers each year to keep up with changing technology; every two-three (and on occasion, four) years is fine. Good luck and cheers.
  4. MattZani macrumors 68030


    Apr 20, 2008
  5. scienide09 macrumors 65816


    May 5, 2007
    You'll also find that the extra screen space of the MBP will be a benefit when you are editing photos.

    And I agree with the comment above stating that you should buy when you need. If you can hold out until the update, awesome. If not, and you need the computer in time for back to school, then it doesn't make sense to wait longer.

    Your new MB/MBP will not be outdated if Apple releases new units. It will still be exactly the same computer you purchased, and should easily last you for a few years.
  6. hogfaninga macrumors 65816


    Aug 16, 2008
    Chestnut Tree Cafe
    If I was a college student it would be hard for me to turn down the deal Apple is giving with their Back to School promotion(free iPod touch, free printer). I can't wait to see the new generation of Macbooks, but with the deal going on it will still be better than the new one even with the rumored upgrades IMO. I also like the look of the white and black Macbooks better than the new ones which more than likely will be aluminum. Personal choice.
  7. amac4me macrumors 65816


    Apr 26, 2005
    Yeah, the current Back to School promotion is really hard to pass up. I suggest giving it some serious consideration! Good luck with your decision.
  8. psychotropic macrumors regular

    Jun 28, 2008
    Buy now.

    Hi there and welcome to the forums!

    I was in the same situation as you a week ago. College started on monday and I couldn't wait any longer for the new updates. On Friday of last week I went to the apple store expecting to purchase a black macbook (I dont like the white ones). This was going to be my first mac and I wanted to make sure I made the right decision. As I reviewed the macbook vs macbook pro, my eye kept going to they pro. I used to have a 12 inch dell and was really worried about the 15 inch screen. Either way I kept going back to the pro and ended up spending the money on the pro. I couldn't be happier! I needed the computer for school and my dell was on its last straw. Just like everyone else will tell you if you need the computer, buy now. I know that you will be happy with your purchase either way.

    Good luck with your decision.
  9. Pejego thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 7, 2008
    I've been away at the store and looked at both of them now. Its a MBP for sure, i tryed PS at the macbook and it was way to small. About the Promo as i dont live in the US i dont got it but ill have a 10% discount at all time.

    So ill reask my question. What could we possible see in an uppcoming MBP?
    Cooler/ Faster/ Battery improvement? I think that is the only thing that i want from an update is a more "chill" computer as they seem to get as hot as they look ;).

    What would the Centurion 2 Chipset bring us?
  10. AppleGuy1980 macrumors member

    Jun 7, 2008
    I for one know that I probably couldn't live computer less 50% of the time, so you may well "need" a computer now. If you're really concerned about the new update, you can find a refurb Macbook for at low as $899 if you look on the right day. There's one right now (2.1 ghz core 2 duo white, 1gb RAM, 120 gb HD, and combo drive). It's a pretty basic machine, but it comes at half the cost of a baseline MBP. Use the the refurb MacBook for the time being, and then make a decision after the next update or next year when you say you really "need" one. The MacBook will definitely lose some of its value over that time, maybe $200, but you can just think of that as the cost of renting a computer for a year.

    Furthermore, using a MacBook for a while will help you better evaluate if you really need an MB vs MBP later on.
  11. mxelre macrumors member


    Feb 28, 2008
    Well I start Uni on september 2nd and I decided to buy the MBP yesterday:D. This is my first mac and just like you I thought about buying a mac for the last 1-2 years. I was a hard choice between the MB and the MBP but I personally went for the MBP for several reasons: I needed a dedicated graphics card for CAD, I wanted a bigger screen and something that will last at least 2-3 years. Sincerely I prefered getting the MBP with the free printer and ipod than wait for the revision(althought I'm pretty sure apple is gonna throw something amazing). Finally, my windows tower was getting very very slow + I'm not bringing it with me to university so I basically Needed a computer! Hope this helps!
  12. macdot macrumors 6502

    Oct 22, 2005
    I would wait, but that's because I like having the newest stuff.
  13. astudentis macrumors regular

    Oct 7, 2007
    WHO KNOWS!!! THEY MIGHT GET THE QUAD CORE MOBILE CHIPS!!! (keeping my fingers crossed... i really need one for school too... but i am waiting for a possible re-design...that way i will have the newer MBP, and rest of the previous generations will seem outdated). It has been 2 Years since MBPro chassis has changed (slightly).
  14. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

    Mar 14, 2008
    If I had a nickel for every Wait or Not Wait thread, I'd have a lot of nickels. Pejego, if you need it now, get it now. If you do not need it now, then wait until you need it.
  15. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

    Jun 29, 2008
    If I had a nickel for every person that ended up waiting for the new refresh and bought it when It first came out later to post all the problems on the interwebz Id have a lot of nickels and would be able to buy apple and microsoft. Point is, buy when you need it and not when somthing new comes out cause thats not the time to discover new problems, especially during school!
  16. jaduffy108 macrumors 6502a

    Oct 12, 2005
  17. Koodauw macrumors 68040


    Nov 17, 2003
    I think youll see new MBP's sometime around September. Looking at the buyers guide, you will see that any time that apple has updated the MBP in Jan or Feb, they have also updated it in Sept/Oct. A new processor chip will soon be available, and we have seen what are supposed to be new case designs. I would say signs are good for an update.

Share This Page