No need to Double-Post

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
11,177
0
One of the most common misconceptions of new posters is that you need to post in multiple sub-forums in order to insure that your message is read and your question is answered.

The truth is, this is both unnecessary and annoying to the majority of the population. While the forum members are a helpful lot, we tend to get a little frustrated with multiple posts for a couple of reasons - one, it splits the conversation, so no question is really fully answered, and secondly it reinforces the (usually mistaken) belief that newbies are to be treated with at least a little bit on intolerance.

That being said, initial posts should be placed in the appropriate forum a single time. If it is mistakenly placed in the wrong forum, the moderators will step in and relocate it as necessary.

And don't worry - your post will be seen. Many experienced members patrol the forum using the "New Posts" search, available in the forum "navigator bar" to see what's been posted since their last visit. This way, there is no need to go to specific sub-forums to see posts.

Speaking of finding posts - the search feature (again in the Navigation Bar) can be very useful. If you think you have a non-unique question, first do a quick search of the forum to see if a recent question was asked. While not perfect, it's a chance to check things out before posting a question that's been asked (and answered) many times before.
 

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
11,177
0
gwuMACaddict said:
yikes... what brought this on? i know what this thread needs...

*looks around*

*waits for edesign*
Actually, I'd been waiting for edesign to jump in on some of the recent duplicate posts and "new" posts of old information. Since he hadn't, I thought I'd post this. I just don't have any good pictures.

I've seen in the past couple of days several people double- (or even triple- :eek: ) posting, as well as posting threads on subjects that had recently been discussed ad infinitum, or where still in progress.
 

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
19,232
4
i think if someone made a sticky about how to use the forums (vbulliten) correctly and to its greatest potential, like the searches and how to view the forums in different matters would help cut this sort of thing down, i know when i started posting here i didnt know how to search and whatnot, im still learning things myself, but i had some common sense not to double post at least
 

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
11,177
0
edesignuk said:
Well I made this yesterday, but it doesn't cover all bases (ie. posting the same thing in different sub-forums)

Maybe we can make that banner be on every "Post Reply" or "New Thread" dialog for anyone with Newbie status...
 

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
13,951
3
Gone but not forgotten.
Blue Velvet said:
Hear-hear!

:)


*Whispers* What was that you said again?
Amazing, someone knows how to spell hear-hear. :D Too many people use it as if it's a command for a pet. <spreads the newspaper on the floor>

Yes, double- and triple-posting threads is an issue but there are so many others. We have two or three users who have been here over two years who still don't know how to properly edit their posts and will post 3-6 replies in one thread, one after the other.

Okay, I'll stop with that, though I'm certain I could continue for hours. :D
 

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
11,177
0
That's an idea - the MacRumors:Forums Posting Pet Peeves thread!
 

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
19,708
4,274
"Between the Hedges"
PlaceofDis said:
i think if someone made a sticky about how to use the forums (vbulliten) correctly and to its greatest potential, like the searches and how to view the forums in different matters would help cut this sort of thing down, i know when i started posting here i didnt know how to search and whatnot, im still learning things myself, but i had some common sense not to double post at least
Maybe... and maybe not...
I think lots of folks dive right in and post without doing much reading, at least the ones that are irritating do. I read for about a year before I ever posted.

Making a 'sticky' is a good idea and there are several good ones, but if a newbie doesn't search, double posts, and such... it is likely they won't find the sticky before they do something dumb anyway... but you can always direct them to it (like E's avatar sticky.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
 

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
19,232
4
MacDawg said:
Maybe... and maybe not...
I think lots of folks dive right in and post without doing much reading, at least the ones that are irritating do. I read for about a year before I ever posted.

Making a 'sticky' is a good idea and there are several good ones, but if a newbie doesn't search, double posts, and such... it is likely they won't find the sticky before they do something dumb anyway... but you can always direct them to it (like E's avatar sticky.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
very true, i only browsed the stickies and FAQ when i started posting, i suppose there could be a way to make the sticky on how to use the forums and forum rules in your face when you first sign up, but then people would complain about that too, well lets hope there isnt too much craziness before and after this macworld, i might just have to cut back on my time here on Macrumors, for a little bit so i dont start losing my hair
 

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
6,570
49
Langley, Washington
Amen. I some times think the collective IQ of this place goes down with each newbie.

BTW, edeisgnuk, now if only newbies actually saw that graphic, it might work. But as we say, you can lead a horse to water....

TEG
 

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
5,478
1
Fuquay Varina, NC
Two quick thoughts as i am equally annoyed with people (including myself - today) who fail to search. Although in my defense I searched "Hitachi and mini" and no results came up :)

However, I could see how its confusing for newbs and veterans alike with two search links up top. The bb search link isn't necessarily in the best place on the site. Secondly, since this is a paid version of vBulletin, why don't they have a feature that would search for you after you try to post a new thread. Here is how I think it would go.

I click New Thread
I fill out form babbling about the lack of searching
I click Post
An intermediate page loads saying "Hey, these the existing threads (X,Y,Z) closely resemble your post" and asks if I want to post anyway.

Now I have the option to knowingly double post.

This would help someone recognize a subject/problem has already been posted and may even help them find a solution that they were looking for.
 

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
3,225
0
somewhere between here and there.
edesignuk said:
Well I made this yesterday, but it doesn't cover all bases (ie. posting the same thing in different sub-forums)

http://upload.yo-momma.net/uploads/macros/MR_Thread_Done_Before.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]


I believe the new comers get confused when trying to find anything here on MR. Since MR has 3 types of search:

1. Site Search
2. Forum Search
3. Thread Search

That is crazy indeed and many people miss the search buttons/links on MR.

Maybe the search field on the top should have all three search options available. Having the search options split has its benefits however many people miss out since its confuses them. :)
 

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
3,225
0
somewhere between here and there.
kingjr3 said:
Two quick thoughts as i am equally annoyed with people (including myself - today) who fail to search. Although in my defense I searched "Hitachi and mini" and no results came up :)

However, I could see how its confusing for newbs and veterans alike with two search links up top. The bb search link isn't necessarily in the best place on the site. Secondly, since this is a paid version of vBulletin, why don't they have a feature that would search for you after you try to post a new thread. Here is how I think it would go.

I click New Thread
I fill out form babbling about the lack of searching
I click Post
An intermediate page loads saying "Hey, these the existing threads (X,Y,Z) closely resemble your post" and asks if I want to post anyway.

Now I have the option to knowingly double post.

This would help someone recognize a subject/problem has already been posted and may even help them find a solution that they were looking for.
Time for MR to use Google Search Word Indexing. :)
 

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
11,177
0
kingjr3 said:
Now I have the option to knowingly double post.

This would help someone recognize a subject/problem has already been posted and may even help them find a solution that they were looking for.
When I referred to double-posting above, I was specifically talking about users who intentionally do this since they think they have to post in multiple sub-forums to be "heard."

The art of searching, even if you know what you're doing, can be hit or miss, so I can only be so upset about that, for the many reasons that have been cited here. Many people will even start a thread like "Hey, I tried searching but couldn't find anything..." That's cool.

Equally annoying to people who don't search and a thread was posted 2 hours ago are people who spout off about not searching and then reference a two-year-old thread as evidence. "Hey, we talked about iPod's in this thread from 2001. Why didn't you search, noob?" :rolleyes:
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,641
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
m a y a said:
Time for MR to use Google Search Word Indexing. :)
Second that...

Speaking of which, does VBulletin or whatever the software MR runs off of come with any help info regarding how boolean searches, quotations, etc, work in the search engine?

And did the search engine change recently? I used to have a lot of trouble with searches because common words and short words. I seem to remember they were even deleted when they were in quotes. But I tried to verify these effects in another tab as I was posting, and they don't seem to occur anymore. This seems to have changed recently (or else I'm space-cadeting :eek:).
 

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
5,125
2
North Carolina
I wonder if it would be possible to configure vBulletin to not allow users to start multiple new threads within, say 10 minutes of each other. That might cut down on quite a bit. For moderators, this function would need to be disabled.
 

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
3,225
0
somewhere between here and there.
wordmunger said:
I wonder if it would be possible to configure vBulletin to not allow users to start multiple new threads within, say 10 minutes of each other. That might cut down on quite a bit. For moderators, this function would need to be disabled.
I believe vBulletin has the option for:

merging threads, delay PM and thread creation on a time bases. :)
 

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
8,889
25
Northern Virginia
Maybe setting up a FAQ/Sticky section with the more popular topics is in order. Some of the topics that come off the top of the head would be:

- How do I copy a DVD?

- Airport Express compatibility with other routers

- Should I buy Crucial/OWC/TransIntl/Other RAM?

Just a few quick ones, there are so many more.
 

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
3,225
0
somewhere between here and there.
Chip NoVaMac said:
Maybe setting up a FAQ/Sticky section with the more popular topics is in order. Some of the topics that come off the top of the head would be:

- How do I copy a DVD?

- Airport Express compatibility with other routers

- Should I buy Crucial/OWC/TransIntl/Other RAM?

Just a few quick ones, there are so many more.

Aren't all these questions on Apples site. :confused: :)