Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
m a y a said:
Aren't all these questions on Apples site. :confused: :)

In some cases yes. And even if it is, there are those that prefer a more "family" touch to their questions.

The problem is that when those that have issues respond to a double post, or thread that was started elsewhere, it just starts to feed on itself. If it were ignored, or a friendly post to the "newbies"; instead of graphical postings of the error; the thread would die away.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Chip NoVaMac said:
Maybe setting up a FAQ/Sticky section with the more popular topics is in order.

It's a great idea - a whole 'switch/get to know your Mac' forum just for newbies to get help in.

But I'm not sure people still wouldn't just click that 'new topic' button. I'm thinking of the very useful/detailed sticky on buying laptop cases/bags and there's still a 'I'm looking for a case for my PB' every few days.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Here ya go!
I made this for the newbie help thread... but I got lazy....

attachment.php

Linkety for the new people. And I don't want a stalker so I edited out some info about me... ~ahem~edesignuk~/ahem~

Attachments

• MR pics.jpg
    MR pics.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 171

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Mechcozmo said:
Here ya go!
I made this for the newbie help thread... but I got lazy....

https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19899&stc=1[IMG]

[URL=https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102527]Linkety[URL] for the new people. And I don't want a stalker so I edited out some info about me... ~ahem~edesignuk~/ahem~[/QUOTE]

The new comers will miss the red text, its too small...maybe use an an arrow to point the search out. With bigger bold text. :)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Every now and then, it's much easier to reply in both threads...

Usually this results in every other word being sent off to the thread in question.

Such as:

1. ******* this ******* in ***** other **** being **** off ** the ***** in ********.

2. Usually **** results ** every **** word ***** sent *** to *** thread ** question.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
edesignuk said:
Well I made this yesterday, but it doesn't cover all bases (ie. posting the same thing in different sub-forums)

MR_Thread_Done_Before.gif
I know I'm a newbie, and therefore by all accounts should be ignored (I am, after all, lowering the collective IQ of this site :rolleyes: ), but these types of graphics aren't helpful; they're demeaning and offensive (to a new user).

I think a polite note asking someone to use search is better than just plopping graphics in every thread that you -- personally -- find the question annoying.

It seems by the collective thinking just about every possible question has been asked at least once in some format; there should be no reason to start a thread.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Don M. said:
I know I'm a newbie, and therefore by all accounts should be ignored (I am, after all, lowering the collective IQ of this site :rolleyes: ), but these types of graphics aren't helpful; they're demeaning and offensive (to a new user).

I think a polite note asking someone to use search is better than just plopping graphics in every thread that you -- personally -- find the question annoying.

It seems by the collective thinking just about every possible question has been asked at least once in some format; there should be no reason to start a thread.

I agree. MR is not the only site that I go to that has those that feel they need to uphold "standards". It is one thing for a "mod" to do it; but it has a chilling effect when the rank and file does it.

There are threads that I pass on since the question has been asked so may other times. Other times since responses seem to harsh or one sided I might chime in.

One of the faults I see is in the way some threads are posted here. I really think that an FAQ forum with the top 20&% of the posts is in order. And I would for one be willing to assist as an "associate moderator" to see that postings go to the right place. It is because of the structure of the forums that many newbies aren't able to find the easy answers to their question. Also many users are put off by having to wade through 5-10-20-or more pages of a post to find the answers (some simply don't know about working from the latest to the earliest).

In the end it does not excuse the hostility that some exhibit. You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Keep in mind we are dealing with non-verbal communication here. So what may be humor when you post, may not come across as such when read. I know this from first hand experience (thanks Nerserk).

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
Don M. said:

Perhaps, but what's the fun in that? ;)

Don M. said:

That wasn't the original point of this thread, nor is it the belief of most members. The original post centered on people who post in numerous sub-forums in order to insure their post is viewed. This is unnecessary and confusing. Reposting a technical question that was asked more than about 3 months ago is perfectly valid, as those things tend to change quickly. We just don't like to see duplicate posts or reposts of things less than day old.

As for the search - the primary aim is to encourage people to see if there is recent information on a question. Generally, the search is effective to see if you are doubling another announcement (such as the Playboy iBods) or asking a common technical question. It's like coming to a meeting late and expecting everyone to re-explain the parts you missed, even though the notes will cover it.

As for the comment on lowering the IQ - that was a little too much. We were all newbies once (I was only 5 months ago), and we can't expect people new to the forum to know everything - hence the need to occasionally remind them. I think newbies in general increase the site ignorance level, but that's only because they haven't had time to learn and the site isn't always intuitive.

Also, recall that this thread is in the forum feedback section. We are looking for ways to make it easier for everyone to understand the capabilities of the system and to use it to their benefit.

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
Chip NoVaMac said:
I agree. MR is not the only site that I go to that has those that feel they need to uphold "standards". It is one thing for a "mod" to do it; but it has a chilling effect when the rank and file does it.
To a point, yes, but in the end this is a users forum, not a moderators forum. We need to all work to maintain the standards here, but we should be doing it in a responsible fashion.

Chip NoVaMac said:
In the end it does not excuse the hostility that some exhibit.
Indeed. There really should be no place for hostility in these forums. The hard part, as you say, is sometimes distinguishing what is truly hostile, and what is meant to be humorous (or humourous, for some... ;)) - that comes with a history with certain members.

I think we just need to remember that at one point we all knew nothing about these forums. Where I am currently, I'd still consider myself to be a relative newbie despite how many posts I have, and I continue to learn the etiquette of the forums. There are times when posters deserve a slap on the hands, and times where patience (or a kind piece of advice) are more warranted.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
emw said:
To a point, yes, but in the end this is a users forum, not a moderators forum. We need to all work to maintain the standards here, but we should be doing it in a responsible fashion.

Indeed. There really should be no place for hostility in these forums. The hard part, as you say, is sometimes distinguishing what is truly hostile, and what is meant to be humorous (or humourous, for some... ;)) - that comes with a history with certain members.

I think we just need to remember that at one point we all knew nothing about these forums. Where I am currently, I'd still consider myself to be a relative newbie despite how many posts I have, and I continue to learn the etiquette of the forums. There are times when posters deserve a slap on the hands, and times where patience (or a kind piece of advice) are more warranted.

But in the end, we ALL should strive to make MR a place that people want to come to. For the ones that get blasted by words or pictures might not come back. It is about creating a better place in the future.

I agree that there are those that need to slapped on the hands. But there is a positive way of doing so, and a negative way. I am seeing way more "negative" responses. It also goes to reporting posts that we feel crossed the line. Why do some members feel the need to add their two cents in with words or oversized pictures?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Chip NoVaMac said:
Why do some members feel the need to add their two cents in with words or oversized pictures?

Because familiarity (sometimes) breeds contempt: it's human nature.
We can't all have the patience of a saint, not all the time anyway... but god knows, I try...

I enjoy helping people with their probs but when they post multiple threads on the same topic, it fractures the ensuing dialogue...

The pictures you refer to amuse and entertain others and I must admit, when I first turned up here, I dreaded getting one in response to something I had posted.

But I took precautions by lurking for about 6 months before getting used to some of the way things were done and learning from the mistakes of others who fell by the wayside.

As someone once said to me, forums like this are like arriving at a big party where you don't know anyone but want to be noticed...

Perhaps some of us spend too much time on here and sometimes that tolerance gets stretched by yet another G5 powerbook thread.

If it really becomes an issue, then I would expect the poster who gets mildly slapped down to contact one of the mods. God knows what trivial stuff they have to deal with half the time...

In any form of human society, there are always cliques and a hierarchy of some kind of another that will judge the actions of newcomers...

Imagine if some stranger turned up at one of your family gatherings and started asking the same piece of advice or telling the same joke to everybody in the room, one by one?

So... I see no need to get too anxious about it. People join for lots of reasons and virtually everybody will find something to suit them here. If not, they'll go elsewhere to find what suits them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.