no new iLife for me despite 3000 dollars us

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sbb155, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sbb155 macrumors 6502

i bought a mac pro on sunday. i went to the apple store to ask for a free new ilife. they said no way. that is ridiculous. i am not a piddly macbook guy... i bought a top of the line mac pro.
    oh well. so the only option is to return the pro, and then exchange for a new pro model.. ridiculous

2. j/k/Andy macrumors regular

I hate these I spent $X but I'm too cheap to upgrade my software...whatever

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hear hear!

I second that.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

[​IMG]

Seriously... stop crying. At least, to us. If you want to cry, cry to an Apple CSR.

5. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Get over it, if you can spend $3000 you can spend another $79.

Do you think if you bought a new car on Sunday and a new model came out today with a new "something" the dealership would give you that for free??

6. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

the fact of the matter is you agreed to pay XX amount of dollars for a computer including iLife 06. You are not entitled to anymore then what you agreed to pay for. Get an iLife :D

7. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

If you've already opened the box to your Mac Pro and decide to return it simply because you want iLife 08, won't you be charged with a re-stocking fee? Thus making it completely pointless.

8. monke macrumors 65816

monke

First of all, does your computer qualify?
    http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/list.html

If it does, that means you still have to pay $9.95 for iLife. It's not free.

It doesn't matter how much you pay for a computer, what matters is if it qualifies. If you spent $3000 on a computer, $79 surely won't hurt.

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It won't, because that's only for systems bought today or later.

10. monke macrumors 65816

monke

There was someone, forget who, bought their computer a couple of days back and was still eligible for the upgrade. Don't know if this applies to sbb155's case though.

11. sbb155 thread starter macrumors 6502

doesnt matter i returned it and got a new one...store rep said that the one i bought becomes a refurb now...guess apple lost 300 -400 on that one, not to mention i dropped it walking down my stairs...oh well..i got a new one and ilife

12. sbb155 thread starter macrumors 6502

the consumer still has rights. there is nothing wrong with returning a product or asking for a discount. Apple could've just given the program to me. The manager was shocked when i brought in the pro, but she knew they had no choice. The rep said they lost a lot of money cux they didnt think i was going to do it.. ha...ha. ha... never challenge a consumer with rights.

13. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

You have the right to return your product. To gloat about Apple's loss of $300-$400 (at least, depending on how hard you dropped it before returning it), is a pretty dick-ish move.

Yeah, they could have "just given it" to you...or you could have paid the $80.00 for the new product that you wanted, like a normal human being. :rolleyes:

14. diehldun macrumors 6502a

Just to double check, if I buy a MBP tomorrow at the Apple Store, they will include an iLife '08 disc for free, right? I remember almost four years ago, they did that with 10.3 Panther and my PB. I'm sorry if this question has been asked already!

15. chaoticbear macrumors 6502

You don't have the right to any of what they gave you. They could have (and I would have) charged you a restocking fee, thus negating any benefit. You were being a ________, and they rewarded you for it, thus empowering any future whiny princess entitlements.

You might as well have waited a week and downloaded it on the internet for all the good you're doing Apple.

16. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

So, um, this isn't the third MacPro you've returned, is it? I ask because it was worrying you that you wouldn't get your nano rebate because of separate receipts. Hopefully you didn't toss the nano in the washing machine before you returned that?

Oh, and learn to be a grown-up... Throwing a tantrum and crying may have worked to get Mommy to buy you that new bike. Shame on you for acting like you're five.

17. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I love how the OP somehow thinks just because he's not some "piddly macbook guy" and purchased a "top of the line" Mac Pro he's somehow entitled to something. :rolleyes:

18. Reach macrumors 6502a

He's not some "piddly macbook guy" no, but he's nevertheless desperate enough to get some piddly i-software. Ask for Aperture and Final Cut Studio 2 while you're at it, those suit your machine better. And if they don't give it to you, throw the machine out the window and claim it arrived that way...

19. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I fail to see how what the OP did is somehow not what a 'normal human being' would do. I mean, it's a little over the top, but if the premium service doesn't come along with the premium price tag, take what you can get, I say.

If I'm going to drop $3000 on something, I'd rather not be told 3 days later that it's outdated, and that I have to pay $80 for a stinking software upgrade. :rolleyes:

20. bartelby macrumors Core

I'm assuming there was nothing wrong with the Mac Pro you returned, until you dropped it. Would you not have to pay a restock fee for returning it 3 days later?

21. After G macrumors 68000

After G

You bought your Mac Pro knowing something was to come out soon, at least if you read macrumors on a regular basis, and now you feel smug being a jerk when you could have just written a letter to customer service and probably solved your "problem" without being a jerk over 2.67% of the purchase price of your computer.

I don't have a problem with you getting your money's worth - I have a problem with you dropping your computer and giving the middle finger to Apple over such a small thing.

And you don't have to upgrade your software. It's not like your version of iLife stopped working or became suddenly slower the day Apple announced iLife 08.

22. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I noticed nobody answered your question. You should get an iLife disk for free, yes. But if for some reason you don't, just pay ten dollars and Apple will upgrade it for you. At least I think I read that somewhere.

23. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

He asked them if he could have it for free instead of asking for some kind of a special deal for his case...

But I would've at least called Apple instead of going to the store first...

24. Reach macrumors 6502a

Yea, if you buy a top-of-the-line MacPro, an ILIFE-update will utdate it.. Makes sense..

25. sbb155 thread starter macrumors 6502

most places you can return no questions asked like dell, etc. at apple you ha e 14 days and it has to be unopened.
    i followed the rules and didnt open my new mac pro
    the consumer won and that is what i am . i could care less about the profit apple makes on us. their annual report suggests an enormous profit margin by adding a premium. i am a premium customer and they lost. all they had to do was be reasonable. they are so arrogant, but i like their products. but i followed all the rules. i could care less about the money they lost when their gross margins are greater than twenty percent.
    the manager saw me bring in the mac pro. you figure you buy a company's top of the line product and they would give better service
    when i bought it originally the very same manager said that adding my own ram and drive would void my warranty. they are a bunch of liars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.