Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
well i have no choice but to wait for my imac anyway as i only get my money mid march. I would have to settle for the outdated version at that time though only to see the new ones released at the end of march :rolleyes:

Shame they didn't at least mention if they where comming soon/specs.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
well i have no choice but to wait for my imac anyway as i only get my money mid march. I would have to settle for the outdated version at that time though only to see the new ones released at the end of march :rolleyes:

Shame they didn't at least mention if they where comming soon/specs.

Apple never gives anything out before it comes out. If they now say new iMac comes early Feb. no-one buys old ones before newones released and old ones price drops

gr81mgbgt

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2008
I don't see a silent refresh on he iMac. Possible for minor spec bumps, but no redesign coming anytime soon, they match the the entire lineup.

very disappointing day. it has officially ruined my week.

Apocrathia

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
University of South Alabama
I will give credit that iWork 09 looks extremely promising, as do the new iLife apps. The 17" macbook pro was a nice announcement, hopefully the same technologies will be implemented in the 15", when we'll talk. I don't see the point in getting a 17" laptop. I love my little 13.3" macbook and can't see myself going for anything bigger than 15".

What about the 28" iMac rumors? Anyone want to get one of those beasts if they exist? My bed is right in front of my desk, so I might actually consider it.

sal

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2007
as always,

if you really need one, buy now. I think the current imacs are good enough for most people. If you don't need one right now, wait a little longer. All depends on your needs and the type of computer you have currently.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
I think AppleInsider said something like Mac minis and iMacs will ship at the end of January. That may mean they will be announced then.

The new pages is nice, but I would have liked Apple to create their own equation editor rather than requiring a 3rd party product purchase.
Why didn't Apple just transplant the one in Grapher?

The 17" macbook pro was a nice announcement, hopefully the same technologies will be implemented in the 15", when we'll talk.
I'm thinking they will come in across this year, like the multi-touch trackpad was last year, Intel in 2006, and two-finger swipe the year before. Maybe 15" MacBook Pros in the spring and the MacBooks in the fall?

Apocrathia

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
So how many of us here are considering a hackintosh?

I have been for a while now, phil's vomit delivering keynote really makes me want to. I really want an iMac simply for the sake of simplicity though.

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
So how many of us here are considering a hackintosh?

I have been for a while now, phil's vomit delivering keynote really makes me want to. I really want an iMac simply for the sake of simplicity though.

I have been running my current pc as one while waiting for a new imac. I guess i'll be using it for a little longer.

Apocrathia

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
I have been running my current pc as one while waiting for a new imac. I guess i'll be using it for a little longer.

I've been thinking of just building into a g5 case (http://www.s155158671.websitehome.co.uk/) and using PC hardware & an EFI-X. Then just running a 30" ACD. I could probably build all of that for a reasonable price.

Bah, I just want the iMac to be done with it, but Apple is really pushing me on this one...

gr81mgbgt

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2008
next imac redsigned?

so is the new imac going to be redesigned?

:confused:if not, then im just going to get the current 24" imac, its good enough for standard home use, + just finished my new office!!!!!

Apocrathia

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
I highly doubt they're really going to redesign the iMac line, unless they are removing the chin. They've now got all of their computers on the same page (minus the ACD [WWDC09 for that I'm sure]).
They're probably just going to do a speed bump & add the nvidia cards to the whole line.
There's really nothing wrong with the current 24" other than paying ridiculously for outdated hardware. I'm just a whore for shiny new toys, and the current iMacs aren't really "new".

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
See I am in the same boat. I am finalyl going to have money to spare this tax season and I was going to get a updated 24' iMac. I was incredibly excited that in Feb I could have one, then Apple crapped on my heart and buried my dreams.

Luckily, because I am sick in the head I visited the local Best Buy and was checking out an iMac, and the guy there said if I bought there warranty, that I could come in and just replace it when they upgrade it. I did this with iPod also.

Apocrathia

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
See I am in the same boat. I am finalyl going to have money to spare this tax season and I was going to get a updated 24' iMac. I was incredibly excited that in Feb I could have one, then Apple crapped on my heart and buried my dreams.

Luckily, because I am sick in the head I visited the local Best Buy and was checking out an iMac, and the guy there said if I bought there warranty, that I could come in and just replace it when they upgrade it. I did this with iPod also.

I'd REALLY have to see some proof of that one. You can try and fry a computer whilst making it look like you didn't do anything. However, to think that best buy would take the computer back and give you a new one that isn't the exact same specs, but in fact the newest one, is just ridiculous. Unless it's a full cash refund.
I don't doubt that this is what the salesperson told you, but keep in mind that most sales guys are soulless bastards who just want to get their commission and go home.
I highly doubt best buy would really do something like that. Especially with the economy being in the crapper like it is.
Either way, best buy doesn't even carry the current 3.06ghz 24" iMac on their site, I doubt it's in stores. So best buy is out for me. I'll use the student discount with apple anyways. Saves me more money and I'll just get a mobileme subscription.

BulletToothTony

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
I bought a used one off of craigslist, and of course I MADE SURE IT HAD WARRANTY ON IT. (you can check the serial number on apple.com) It had 6 months left of warranty on my imac.

Got it for $850 it's not new but it works like it. I wanted to wait as well but i bought it on Christmas day. I AM SOOOO GLAD I DID. and now if a new model comes out i might sell this one for probably the same price and upgrade. (if worth it)

All i gotta say is the the imacs out right now are freaking awesome and very fast.. IMO unless it's an incredible upgrade like quad with a very good video card or maybe with an i7 :rolleyes: lol then i'd upgrade, as of now.. this imac is hellafast, and i love osx.

loklokay

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2009
so is the new imac going to be redesigned?

:confused:if not, then im just going to get the current 24" imac, its good enough for standard home use, + just finished my new office!!!!!

It maybe, maybe not. I think it's not.A new design want more time to do it. If you need it, just get it!

Hartel

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009
Portland, OR
I just bought the new 13.3" Aluminum MacBook back in October and it has been a dream machine. It was my first Mac and now I want to replace my PC once I have the money. The iMac is pretty up to date and could only use a switch to higher end nVidia graphics and a HDD. The processors in the iMac's are amazing as is and I think they are perfect machines now.

The real things I would like to see updated are the Mac Mini and Mac Pro. The Mac Mini is underpowered for the 599 starting price when for about 450 more you can have an iMac. The Mac Pro I think sticks out from the rest of the Mac Line, it doesn't seem to fit in with its brothers and sisters and I would like to see a new case design for it.

if the iMac is updated I would like to see the following:

LED Display
nVidia Graphics
Bigger HDD and possible SSD

I would be a happy camper with those.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
Well one time I threw an iPod at a guy and killed him. I couldn't take him back and replace him, but I could with the iPod. Same thing with iMac. Im going to throw it at someone and kill them. Then I will take the iMac back and get a new one.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Look at it this way, the MacWorld Keynote was pretty abysmal by all rights, even people who didn't care about the iMac/Mac Mini would admit that, there's literally no reason why they would avoid announcing an iMac update then announce it silently so soon afterward, there's honestly no benefit to anyone to do that.
There have been several products released in late January and late February. There was even an event on late February. A sensible reason for no iMac update at MWSF is that Apple could only announce so many updates that day, and the 17" MacBook Pro got chosen over the iMac (new battery etc.).

Thus, it really feels to me like iMac's won't get an update until there's a pretty big redesign, probably both in Nehalem and aesthetics.
Apple will wait 1.5~2 years for an upgrade? Not very likely if you ask me. :rolleyes:

mcmonkiez

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2009
well in Nov 2008 i was about to buy new imac after purchasing macbook pro 15.3 as from pc to mac it was a good move and then needed imac for home desktop..

then start reading about imac and rumors about new imac coming out in jan 2009 .. i hold on for about 1.5 weeks but just really hard to wait and i decided to go for it the current model as the top high spec is fantastic
3.06 with 4 gb ram and 512 nvidia geforce video card is amazing.

then again many people say wait and dont buy one.. well the answer is if you act like this you never buy anything there will be always something new in this tech in computers in LCD in DVD in any electronic item.. even with cars..

so just get what u really need and thats it and enjoy ..

i bought 3.06 ghz it a really fast machine and games all the hard core work have tested on this machine and work like a charm.

and I did not even bother to see if anything is coming on the 6th as i was happy what i got the power i need and i do some really heavy work so i know what i am talking about.

all i got to say is the current model of imac is fantastic and i would say buy one now and no regret seriously.. its truly a great machine.

in terms of new nvidia chipset well intel chip are great too and just the quad processor no body knows when they will be coming out...

iStress

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2007
Sydney, Australia
well in Nov 2008 i was about to buy new imac after purchasing macbook pro 15.3 as from pc to mac it was a good move and then needed imac for home desktop..

then start reading about imac and rumors about new imac coming out in jan 2009 .. i hold on for about 1.5 weeks but just really hard to wait and i decided to go for it the current model as the top high spec is fantastic
3.06 with 4 gb ram and 512 nvidia geforce video card is amazing.

then again many people say wait and dont buy one.. well the answer is if you act like this you never buy anything there will be always something new in this tech in computers in LCD in DVD in any electronic item.. even with cars..

so just get what u really need and thats it and enjoy ..

i bought 3.06 ghz it a really fast machine and games all the hard core work have tested on this machine and work like a charm.

and I did not even bother to see if anything is coming on the 6th as i was happy what i got the power i need and i do some really heavy work so i know what i am talking about.

all i got to say is the current model of imac is fantastic and i would say buy one now and no regret seriously.. its truly a great machine.

in terms of new nvidia chipset well intel chip are great too and just the quad processor no body knows when they will be coming out...

I was on the same boat as well! I was about to buy in October, but then came all these rumours about an iMac refresh in November....and nothing happened. So I went out and bought an iMac (first mac), I couldn't be happier with it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.