No new iPhone at WWDC

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RiceRacerDX, May 13, 2009.

1. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

2. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Ummm... It actually says nothing about the iPhone on that page, all it says about Apple is the Steve Jobs won't be at (WWDC), which just cause they didn't announce that he'll be there doesn't mean he won't.

Furthermore, if you click the Steve Jobs link it says that analysts say an iPhone WILL BE revealed.

What did you read? Cause it wasn't the link you provided.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Actually, it says the following:

Nothing about 'WILL BE' revealed..

So still, nothing concrete, and won't be until someone at Apple steps up and says so (like last year).

BL.

4. RiceRacerDX thread starter macrumors 6502

Video...it's in the video as mentioned in the op.

5. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Oh, you mean the video that you added when you edited the video 11 minutes after my reply?

6. RiceRacerDX thread starter macrumors 6502

No.
    The same "video" that has been there and also, read your first post dude...you quoted me with "video" in it. I can't change what you quoted dude. When I edited my post, I just underlined, bolded, and made it red so it would be easier to read the next time...

7. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

8. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

ugh you guys are arguing over technicalities

[​IMG]

who cares what AOTS or Analysts think, they both have been wrong numerous times in the past.

Just wait until WWDC

9. Perk macrumors member

10. drakeshipway macrumors 6502

drakeshipway

11. iGeRmAn macrumors regular

12. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I think Steve loves money more than his baby being introduced by someone else. This is the iPhone that will have many 2g iPhone users upgrading. I don't think Apple will pass this oppurtunity to showcase a new iPhone at WWDC especially since a lot of those 2g users' contracts are up, and their wallets are open.

13. garethjs macrumors 6502a

As I mentioned much earlier they are going to spend the first hour talking about iphone OS 3.0. It'll be like listening to the 3.0 preview all over again but with new guest. How push works will take up a good 15min again. In the last hour or so snow leopard preview with a developer's copy being ended out at the end.

There might be a mention of a new "device" that will be reavealed soon but that will be about it.

I don't think I'm going to follow it. I already know how push works. In fact I've heard it 3 times over now but have yet to see it work on my phone.

Expect a keynote in August/september that will cover the new iphone.

14. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

If you think money is Jobs only motivation then you don't know much about jobs and Apple's culture in general. You don't need to make great products to make a boatload of money (hint: Microsoft). The iPhone has turned the whole mobile industry universe upside down in less than two years. Everyone else is hurling around trying to catch up with brokena$$ touch screens and half-baked appstores. This IS a great product.

15. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Has anyone done a decent breakdown time wise/ topic wise of what's likely to be in WWDC 2009?

Seems to be kind of a mashup between WWDC 2007 & WWDC 2008:

WWDC 2007
    Showing off a feature-complete beta of Mac OS v10.5 "Leopard"
    Support for 3rd part development
    Launch date of iPhone

WWDC 2008
    App Store
    Stable iPhone SDK
    iPhone 3G
    iPhone OS 2.0
    MobileMe

2009:
    Feature complete Snow Leopard
    Support for 3rd party accessories for dock connector & other accessories will demo (Nike? Polar?)
    Launch date of iPhone
    App Store update (more expensive app store section?)
    iPhone OS 3.0
    MobileMe update

Quite a bit, basically

16. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

- Parental controls
    - Paid updates

17. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Agreed. It is. But Apple is a business. Jobs is part of it. However, I see your point. And you're right, the iPhone has defined what a cell phone can do, and is at the top of the market, but I seriously don't think they will pass on the oppurtunity to impress the 2g users at the end of their contracts. At least announce it to get people talking. Sure, we may not see the new iPhone until maybe August, but we'll have a few months to talk and get our hopes up. :D

18. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Wouldn't you think that if apple's opening up the dock connector, some clever gaming company will have made a D pad? :D

That'd be worth a few minutes...

19. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I'm sorry, I don't follow you. Opening the dock connector?

20. svndmvn Guest

allowing 3rd party to use the Dock. Not necessary IMO since they could also use BT.

21. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Wow. That could certianly open up some doors in the field of gaming for the iPhone. :) You're right, that would definetly be worth some time at WWDC.

22. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Think D-Pad. Think converting any Touch or iPhone into a gaming handheld.
    Or making plug in accessories.
    I agree that there is a place for BT, but some accessories will work well with the 30 pin connector interface.

The opening up of the connector is a sleeper hit. If Apple's done some behind the scenes work with those signed up to their group, they could certainly surprise. Apple's minced no words in showing at OS 3.0 demo that there is some crazy stuff available to do. Anything sensor related.

Dilger back in 08:

Expectation management

The historical failure of many developers to abide by their NDAs has had a chilling effect on the amount of detail Apple has been willing to provide. Even within the NDA-covered iPhone SDK, which anyone can signup to participate in, Apple has revealed next to nothing about the future of hardware peripheral support on the iPhone, including expanded Bluetooth support or any devices that might attach to its USB dock connector. There is also little known about the company’s future plans to expose other low level device access to third parties.

Detailed information on how much access Apple will eventually grant developers may be withheld because Apple hasn’t yet decided what it can support in the near term, given its finite resources. It’s far safer for the company to under-promise and over-deliver than to outline an extensive plan for features and services that it is unable to complete.

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/08/28/why-apple-keeps-its-iphone-20-sdk-under-nda/

Apple can turn the potential of the market against the individual accessory makers - play hard ball and say they lose their certification/space on shelves in stores, if they leak anything.

Might turn out there are nearly no accessories - but we can already pretty much guarantee a new BT handset. And SatNav, And maybe a GPS dongle connector for those without the A-GPS chip... The list goes on.

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/program/sdk/accessories.html

23. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Maybe an analog stick? I get sort of sick of the accelerometer. Non motion controls would be nice for a change, or at least an option.

24. svndmvn Guest

I don't know if there are any dock related rumors, but letting others manufacture accessories would definitely cost Apple money. It would be cool, but Apple would probably lose more money than if they limited this to BT, even the use of a physical KB or game controls.
    PS it could be exclusive to the iPod touch, so no word till September, I'm sure Apple's not that happy about the iPhone being more famous as being a console than a cellphone, different story about the iPod. Just like they kept the iPhone's CPU underclocked and not the iPod's, and the Nike+ compatibility, 2009 could be about BT/graphics/even more powerful CPU/RAM, all exclusive to the iPod.