No new iPod touch in the fall?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bfrank92, Jun 16, 2011.

1. bfrank92 macrumors newbie

Seeing how Apple won't be giving out free iPod touches in their back to school program, this is making me think that they won't be releasing a new iPod touch this fall. The way I see it: They give out free iPod touches every summer-to- early-fall in order to make room for a brand new iPod touch coming right after the program ends, while simultaneously boosting Mac sales. And now that they aren't doing that, it makes me think that they don't need to make any room for a new iPod touch just yet. Does anyone else agree?

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I also agree, plus the fact that the promotion goes on till Sept. 20th. It normally ends the first week of Sept and the media event is less than a week later. Something is really off this year.

3. irishtike macrumors member

also don't forget they haven't brought a new iphone out, some say the iphone will be coming in September and the ipods will be later or not at all.

4. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Every year new iPhone came out in June at WWDC. That didn't happen this year. If a new iPhone doesn't come out this year, iPod Touch may not be released this year. Apple will never have iPod Touch better than their flagship iPhone.

5. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Except, uh, when they do just that...

6. Carouser macrumors 65816

Maybe they're going with a significant price drop instead.

7. amdmaxx macrumors member

How is camera on that ipod touch? And how is navigation?
    Iphone is a flagship device and always will be..

8. brendu macrumors 68020

Im guessing your right, there will be no new iPod Touch this fall... the 4th generation is good enough to last another year. It will handle iOS 5 fine so there is no reason to worry about upgrading it.

I would wager they will release a new iPhone in the fall and a new iPad/iPod touch next spring, although it is equally possible that they have an iOS hardware event in the fall and update all 3 iDevices at once.

All I know is that right now Microsoft's deal of buy a Windows 7 laptop and get a free Xbox360 looks alot more enticing than buy a Mac get 100 dollar iTunes/Mac/iOS gift card...

9. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

they'll do some kind of update. it may just be repackaging of practically the same product, but updates drive the market. they have to do something to keep people buying.

10. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Don't see why apple needs to update ipod touch lines. Right now, ipod touch has no competition. Apple might just keep everything the same and focus on iphone instead.

11. ESPN macrumors regular

Last Year they were still given 2nd gen ipod touches. These ipod touches werent as expensive to build, since 3rd gen ipods were in production and 4g was coming out.

This year, by giving away a 4g ipod touch may have been too expensive, after all it is less than a year old and retails for 229$ while the 2nd gen ipod touch was 2 years old and retailed for 199$.

Apple wanted to stimultate the growth of Mac app store so this would seem like a good plan to get back 30% of app purchases and for people to buy their 5g model instead of buying a mac and getting the 4g. Its funny how microsoft is offering an xbox360 just when Apple drops the attractiveness of their package.

There will be an ipod touch 5g(99% sure), this years update wont be a revolution but it will be better, going over 12 months without updating for Apple's most popular ipod is an unwise path to proceed in and I'm sure Apple knows that.

12. cashinstinct macrumors newbie

In the fall? Does not seem like it. They launch iPod Touch few months after the iPhone typically, with a similar design.

They do not seem ready to launch a new iPod Touch.

However, some blogs / articles reported they were not sure there would be a next iPod Touch. I don't understand... FOR SURE there will be a next iPod Touch considering it's a nice entry point to the iOs. People can get used to iOs / apps at a low price and then, get an iPhone or an iPad.

13. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

+1

I'm expecting better cameras, 16GB base memory and other minimal changes.

14. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

Yeeaaahh.... they are discontinuing the iPod. No more to come. Closed down. That lucrative mp3 player market will just be rolled up arbitrarily.

Remember before Apple had back-to-school sales? Then they said, "HEY! LET'S DO BACK-TO-SCHOOL SALES!" and someone smart in the company said, "OH SNAP! BETTER INVENT iPODS SO WE CAN GIVE THEM AWAY DURING THOSE SALES!" and so they invented the iPod to give away in late summer? Oh, those were the days.

Ergo: this whole thread is based on some weird cart-before-horse logic. What is offered at the back-to-school sale does not predict what Apple is designing or releasing. The sale used to offer free iPods to clear stale inventory, and that is all. The A5 processor is coming to the iPhone. It's going to be in the iPT sometime as well--probably this year. The only reason it won't is because it is cost prohibitive for the market of the device.

15. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

I was simply responding to a statement that the iPod touch would never outclass the iPhone in any way. And history shows that the use of absolute terms such as "never" is demonstrably false.

I have no illusions that Apple has any intention of making the iPhone a second-class citizen relative to the iPod touch at the present time. But I really hate it when people make unqualified statements that are simply untrue.

16. caspersoong macrumors 6502a

I think that manufacturing the iPod touch at the same time as the iPhone would pose a too great manufacturing challenge to them. Though I still think a new one must be coming with A5.

17. mattg3 macrumors 6502

I have no idea if a new one is coming since Im new to apple products having bought my first imac this year.As a business oriented person Im a little puzzled at the ipods marketing strategy.I would think its great portability would target new generations every spring since its a summer friendly product.September should be all about the ipad which is a great alternative to a laptop for students going back to school.Just my two cents and Im patiently waiting for the 5g ipod just because i want the latest available.

18. radiohed macrumors regular

That sounds about right to me. What else does the touch really need?

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I agree with you; as things stand, this makes sense.

20. ESPN macrumors regular

Apple has major factories in China, the shuffle or nano would be eliminated before the touch and there is absolutely no evidence any of the ipods are being eliminated/

The touch can still be upgraded with the following features.

5MP camera with LED flash
    Compass
    More RAM
    A5 processor
    IPS display
    OLED screen
    Duo speakers
    Gorilla Class

unlikely but magnetometer for GPS

As long as the touch doesnt have 3G or phone service, it is still not an iPhone.

They had no real competition years ago too. They upgrade so that the device is appealing to consumers, Apple can stay old and not upgrade but their sales would decline. The touch is a multiple media device and people buy it as a luxury item along with their phone. Apple has to upgrade annually so that it is worth it to buy the latest edition but features have to be saved for further generations down the road.

21. caribou123 macrumors member

The Sept 20 date is not a factor. They are no longer giving ipods on that promotion, so the date of the end of the promotion will no longer be impacted by any new ipod model like in the past. This is why the date can go further out now.

22. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

yes i guess all these makes sense, plus what big changes can they really make that the mass of consumers will really care about? all that they really have left is making it faster, longer battery, more storage, better cameras and that isn't big a deal enough for an average consumer to upgrade. Plus if the rumors are right that a new ipad will be announced then that would also make sense they would focus more on that than the ipod touch. I hadn't really considered this thought that there may be no new ipod touch but it actually makes a lot of sense. Plus with the keynote around when people are buying christmas gifts they would rather have people buying 500 new ipads than 200 dollar ipod touches.

23. ESPN macrumors regular

iPod Touch is their best selling ipod and you think they would just kick it to the side of the road just because the upgrades aren't adequate enough? The price is not a factor since the ipod touch sells much more units than the ipad. iPad can only expand as much as Macs, thats why you still see after all these years, windows operating system still dominate 90% of the market. The iPad is a rip off, more of a luxury item and Apple knows it. The ipod touch is a legitimate device that can still expand and control the market so that no other competitor can catch up, circa 2000 CE, Apple Macs vs Microsoft Windows.

24. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

Lol how about then we say apple has never introduced new hardware on the ipod touch before the iphone? The CPU upclock was there on the gen 2 touch, but the cpu was already introduced via the iphone.

Does this make a better qualification of the word "never"? Or is there never a qualified use of an absolute term like "never"? QED.

25. mattg3 macrumors 6502

The only reason apple is in business is to make a profit so all this seems to make no sense.If Apple has chosen to not upgrade the ipod touch till next year why the hell dont they just say so.All the people waiting for a new generation will most likely just purchase the 4g now rather than wait a year.apple makes more profits and the customer is happy knowing they have the newest one available.All this maybe and what if game we are playing is such waste of time.