No new Macbook for 2008?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by domcole, Jun 10, 2008.

1. domcole macrumors regular

Hi guys,

Just took a look on the 'buyer's guide' page and saw that the Macbook is in the mid-cycle. It doesn't say that there might be an update fairly soon, am I incorrect?

Thanks.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There will be another update this year. Montevina.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, I'm waiting to make my next purchase before school starts and I'll pick up a new iPod along the way. :cool:

4. iViking macrumors 6502

You think it will come out before school starts in the Fall?

5. illidian macrumors 6502

If Montevina is released according to Intel's new schedule on July 14th, I can't see Apple waiting two months.

6. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

They usually do an update to the notebooks around August/September

7. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

I want it all and I want it now!

Buying a new Mac is the best and the worst feeling you can have. The best because it's so exciting to get something new... the worst because in a few months Apple will put out something, faster, bigger, smarter, better... I just got my MacBook last month... this just kills me. I can't watch.

8. OMFG HAXX! macrumors member

That's why I'm buying used. ;)

9. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac

looking for...

... a refurb MBP until 3q 2009 and the case refresh.:apple:

10. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

I am glad no new macbook, maybe i can save some money for this year

11. Goldcard macrumors regular

Yea, I've been playing the waiting game for a little while now. I'm buying a new macbook to go back to school next fall and have been looking at the Air and MB. I've decided if the macbooks get updated before mid july I'll probably go that route. we'll wait and see!

12. hellrider macrumors regular

The MacBooks won't get updated by then because the Intel Montevina chips will not be ready.

Expect an updated case, as the Montevina chips require some "moving around" of the internals.

13. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

thinner.

14. Cubs macrumors newbie

I doubt it. I'm guessing those will be released at Macworld '09.

15. illidian macrumors 6502

I'd bet the farm (and even my neighbor's) that this will not be the case. Apple is on Intels clock now.

16. cthomet macrumors regular

montevina and nehalem are the next two upcoming chips and i dont think apple is gonna wait till nehalem (a year) to update the notebooks. late july-early september is where im putting my money

17. Cubs macrumors newbie

Which is why I'm waiting to buy as long as I can, but I have a bad feeling that I'll be disappointed. But we'll see.

18. Heezay macrumors newbie

ya, I am planning on buying a laptop in the next week or so. Is there going to be a laptop coming out anytime soon, or how long do i have to wait?

19. illidian macrumors 6502

If you're hoping for much, you likely will be disappointed. The technology that will change is slightly faster processor speeds (I believe I've seen 2.16 and 2.5 thrown out there), faster front-side bus speeds, better RAM (likely DDR2 800MHz), and a new graphics chip. While that sounds like a long list, the upgrades will be nominal at best.

Apple has LED backlighting and multi-touch ready - will they incorporate them into this model, or wait?

Montevina is scheduled for release on July 14th. Seeing as how one of the reasons it was delayed was because of problems with the integrated graphics chip, I find it hard to believe that we'll see new MacBooks much sooner than that (Pros are possible, but not the MB). I think we're going to see new models before September hits, and the most recent rumors (focusing on screen shipments) point to a Q3 release (July, August, September).

20. cthomet macrumors regular

lets say, hypothetically for all the people heading off to college next year, august rolls around and there hasnt been an update. would it be smarter/more economical to buy a new macbook and then sell that as soon as the new one comes out, or to buy an old powerbook G4 for $300-$500 and then resell that and buy the new macbook?

21. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

If you won't need the power of the MacBook, buying a PB G4 cheap would be better. The value of that won't dip significantly in the fall from what it is now, assuming it's functionality/aesthetics stay the same when you sell. The new MacBook, however, will lose a lot more value, similar to a new car vs. selling a year or two year old car. The immediate year is where the value is lost... And the update would denote a "year" in that example. That being said, if you need a good computer now, buy now. The MacBooks could see a release later than you expect/hope for.

22. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac

X-Mas 2008

I can see a refresh of the MB for the X-Mas selling season.:apple:

23. cthomet macrumors regular

it will happen before that. no doubt.

24. illidian macrumors 6502

It's not economical at all - the new MacBooks will post only slight improvements in even the most grueling of benchmarks outside the 3D graphics realm. And Intel's new chip is still not going to be anything you want to consider if you game with intense 3D graphics often.

25. Holmes89 macrumors regular

Holmes89

Nah, I would say August or September and then maybe another in January and February, I think Apple is going to be doing more frequent updates to keep up with Intel