No New Phone Design this Year?

bryanc28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Arlington, Va
So, I have been reading that the so-called "iPhone 8" will not be released this year and instead we will get the same design since 2014 with the 7S and 7S Plus. That kind of sucks that we are basically getting the same phone just with a different home button.

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
So, I have been reading that the so-called "iPhone 8" will not be released this year and instead we will get the same design since 2014 with the 7S and 7S Plus. That kind of sucks that we are basically getting the same phone just with a different home button.
You realize that the phones are half a year away and that everything is speculation and guesses at this point, right? Just in the past week many rumours have emerged about the so-called "iPhone Edition". There's no point in getting disappointed or excited about anything 6 months before the product is officially revealed, and probably still a few months before there are even substantiated design leaks. It's like worrying about whether it will be a white Christmas in June.

jhearty99

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
Let me preface this by saying I base this on absolutely nothing, but I would be very surprised if there was not at least 1 iPhone model with a new design this year.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I don't know if all the current rumors are true. However, I do believe we will see 3 new iPhones with the 10th anniversary phone showcasing a new design.
My thoughts are Apple will retain the 4.7/5.5 LED models, with addition of the 5.8 OLED model. Eventually all models will lead to OLED, aside from the SE, which I believe will retain LED to maintain the affordable price point.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Reactions: ABC5S

foxconn

Suspended
Sep 6, 2016
God I hope they keep the same design so I can use the same **** load of cases I got for my 7 lol
i hope they keep the same design to see people crying about it on here. you can tell most weren't raised right because when they don't get it their way they'll complain, and complain... and complain.

Reactions: borgsauce and ABC5S

myrtlebee

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
i hope they keep the same design to see people crying about it on here. you can tell most weren't raised right because when they don't get it their way they'll complain, and complain... and complain.
Or maybe we were and some were just raised to be pushovers? I think it's about time for a drastic redesign, and I don't think that's asking too much of a multibillion dollar company after this much time.

foxconn

Suspended
Sep 6, 2016
Or maybe we were and some were just raised to be pushovers? I think it's about time for a drastic redesign, and I don't think that's asking too much of a multibillion dollar company after this much time.
lol maybe :p

i don't really care because they're gonna make the phone unusable without a case anyways, so it will be in a case.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68020
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
Probably not reading right...

baypharm

Contributor
Nov 15, 2007
You realize that the phones are half a year away and that everything is speculation and guesses at this point, right? Just in the past week many rumours have emerged about the so-called "iPhone Edition". There's no point in getting disappointed or excited about anything 6 months before the product is officially revealed, and probably still a few months before there are even substantiated design leaks. It's like worrying about whether it will be a white Christmas in June.
Could it be the reason this forum is called "Macrumors"?

Reactions: Relentless Power

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
Could it be the reason this forum is called "Macrumors"?
Nothing wrong with rumours and speculation, but some people draw conclusions way too soon, like declaring what design will/won't appear half a year in advance and complaining about it.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
People won't be satisfied until their phone is nothing even remotely like a phone anymore.

Each iPhone is only going to be an incremental step off the previous iPhones back. 20 years from now smartphones might not look like they do today but they will be very similar to iPhone 15 years from now.

bushman4

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed!!!!!

With each rumor the specs and capabilities becomes less and less.

Apples has had 3 years to work on this Birthday edition

Reactions: Sunny1990

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2012
If there aren't any updates then no one will purchase the new phone and since the phone is Apple's biggest money maker there is no way that they will go a year without updates. Whether you consider them significant enough to buy is your decision but there is no way that there won't be updates.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
If there aren't any updates then no one will purchase the new phone and since the phone is Apple's biggest money maker there is no way that they will go a year without updates. Whether you consider them significant enough to buy is your decision but there is no way that there won't be updates.
Quite right. Apple know their business, and they'll keep the product cycle going.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.