Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChemGolf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2010
Germany
Perhaps someone knows: has there ever been a new revision of a qualifying Mac during the "back-to-school" promotion? Perhaps this means, we need to wait at least until beginning of September... :(

soph

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
what do you mean revision?
the only apple laptop that is even due for any kind of upgrade is the air.
Well, yes, that's why he's asking in here...

My profound research ;) on Macrumors' Buyer's guide says, that the MacBook was once updated in summer, 7/2005. MacBook Pro was updated twice in june, namely 2007 and 2009, but never in july. No updates for portable Macs ever happened in august and there was one update in september to the MacBook Pro in 2003.
I've found no corresponding dates for the back-to-school-promos though.

I do guess however, that the back-to-school-promo mainly affects iPod touch sales, which is the product that really causes refunds. And this is the device to regularly get updated immediatly after back-to-school.

I'm afraid we can't deduce update schedules for the MBA.

ChemGolf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2010
Germany
Thanks for looking up all this... My fear is that Apple won't upgrade the Air until the back-to-school promo runs out. Just that they don't need to give away an iPod for free along with a brand new laptop. But I agree that we'll see updated iPods just around Sept 8. And hopefully an Air as well... :eek:

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
The Rev C MBA was released last June if I remember right, and it was during the BTS special. I bought mine in July and got a iPod Touch that I sold on Ebay.

Net, after Ebay fees etc, my 2.13 MBA w/SSD cost me about $1540.

/Jim

ChemGolf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2010
Germany
I should have done exactly this last year. Now I hesitate to buying a new Air as it might get an upgrade soonish...

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Another Tuesday and still no update. I think Apple would have a huge hit to sell it for a good price for Students this fall. Right now a price drop would be good if they choose not to update it.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I should have done exactly this last year. Now I hesitate to buying a new Air as it might get an upgrade soonish...

There is still hope of the Nvidia 320m making its way into both the MBA and the 21.5" iMac. It is actually advantageous for Apple to use the Nvidia 320m in all of its MacFive* products right now. Since the 13" MBP, MB, and Mm all have it, the MBA and 21.5" iMac could be next to get the Nvidia 320m. I still say it's possible that the MBA will get the Nvidia 320m in the next month or so. I suppose that the 21.5" iMac should get the Nvidia 320m either way, so it's possible Apple will update some more Macs this Summer.

The iMac needs an update already. The Mac Pro is LOONNNNNGGGGGGG over due. And the MBA is seriously challenged with its 2 GB RAM and throttled CPU/GPU combo - not really having an update since October 2008. I suppose it's more likely that Apple will not update the MBA with the Nvidia 320m, but it will introduce its strategy for the MacFive with the MBA being the first to get the tech CPU/GPU that follows C2D/Nvidia GPU strategy. I would guess that October or January seem the most likely dates for that type of MBA update.

Intel is done making Core 2 Duo at the end of 2010. Although there's always the possibility that Apple stockpiles 15m C2D CPUs so it can keep selling its Nvidia GPU/chipset model in the MacFive for the next year or so... never know with Apple... it sure likes the Nvidia GPU/chipset model, and so do I!

Intel is really screwing customers and Nvidia/Apple by not honoring Nvidia's license to make GPU/Chipsets for use with Intel CPUs beyond C2D. It seems pretty obvious that Apple isn't likely to stick us with an Intel GMA as the sole graphics solution for any of the MacFive computers. Jobs did come out and give us an indication that Apple is disgusted with the GMA and they will do whatever it takes to ensure its MacFive users don't get stuck with only the GMA for graphics.

*MacFive refers to the 13" MBP, MB, Mm, MBA, & 21.5" iMac which all use the Nvidia GPU/Chipset model with C2D CPUs.

thinkdesign

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint PPC6850SP)

Nah. Buy (the SSD one).

We wore out this topic in the last few months. You must've came in just in time to miss all that. Last concensus was, if they didn't refresh it (sim. to white macbook's chips & 4gb) by June... then it waits 'till next Jan. when the chip in it now will no longer be available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.