No new version of iPhone this year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slapple, Jan 21, 2009.

1. slapple macrumors 6502

Does the fact that there was no iPhone announcement at MacWorld mean there will not be a new version of the iPhone this year?

Would love to see a new iPhone with a better camera and video recording capability.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Since when have they announced ANY product six months before release when the previous model was shipping?

THINK. Or, Google "Osborne Effect".

There will be a new iPhone at WWDC.

3. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Ya think Apple has been sleeping that last two years.

I'm ready for some hotness in June.

Does everyone remeber the story behind the iPhone and how it was a total mess a few months before they showed it at WWDC? I can imagine an almost full revision of the software that matches there original intentions instead of the rushed software they released on current models.

4. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Coming in June this year every just like iPods are updated every year

5. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Sleeping for two years?

Apple is a victim of their own success - everyone expects Apple to CHANGE THE GAME every year.

6. redman042 macrumors 68020

My personal opinion is we will see new iPhones in June, but they will be minor refreshes, ie. more memory, better camera, video, longer lasting battery and styling changes with perhaps some additional colors.

I do not expect a "premium" model like an iPhone HD or any really big changes that would impact compatibility with existing apps.

Main reason is the economy. A premium model could make sense if the sales potential was there and they could price it to keep margins high. But in this economy, no dice. I do believe they have good prototypes, but the decision to release the product has as much or more to do with the market conditions as it does the technology.

Second reason is the current iPhone specs are still industry-leading in many ways. The strongest competition (G1 and Pre) will still be in their infancy when June rolls around.

I also believe we'll see a big firmware bump for existing iPhones at the same time, perhaps version 3.0. It might be charged for. It could have features like:

- Advanced touch gestures for greater OS control and shortcuts
    - Cut and paste (using the advanced gestures)
    - Improvements to Exchange support (create meeting invites, todo list, colored categories, etc.)
    - Speed improvements
    - True multitasking for certain 3rd party apps (as an alternative to the Push Notifications approach which I'm starting to believe they shelved)
    - More bluetooth features

That's my opinion. Let's see what happens eh?

7. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

You are so right ! I'd rather Apple drastically change the iPhone every 2 years than mildy drastic every year.

8. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    umm.. I don't think that's what he said..

9. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

oh yeah :D woops but I stand by my point

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's the 21st day of the year.

There are 344 more days to go. Why would you think that everything Apple is going to do must be done by today? Are they taking the rest of the year off?

Relax, I'm pretty sure they'll do something in the next 344 days.

11. Doju macrumors 68000

12. GetAudiHere macrumors regular

how long do you think until the dev team jailbreaks and unlocks the new one in june? Also what do you guys think is the chance we will get a sneak peak or a hint before june?

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

NO SNEAK PEEKS.

And it'll take them one to two months, as there won't be any new cell hardware. The 3G took six months for a reason...

14. KBV1 macrumors regular

KBV1

how do you know there is a new iphone coming out or are you just guessing?

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Phil said one a year, every year, in June.

There are also new iPods once a year, every year, in September.

It's not that hard to deduce.

16. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I can't imagine the iPhone getting much more than a memory bump, new colours and possibly some new body stylings this year.

Software wise, it'll probably come with firmware 3.0 (which will be available for purchase for others) and that'll be that.

17. nfl46 macrumors 603

There probably be a new iPhone this summer, with the 3.0 software. The iPhone needs some much needed hardware upgrades!

18. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Like, CPU-wise? Or what do you mean?

19. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

I bet $100 dollars he says a better camera

20. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

lol indubitably!

21. deadsouls macrumors regular

there will be an update in the next few days. i would head straight to an apple store and camp outside RIGHT NOW.

22. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Mac OS X....

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's different with software.

24. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

How? If you heard a new version of Mac OS was coming out, and you were running 8.1 why would you run out and get OS 9 if 10 were around the corner?

This same reasoning is applied to Leopard vs. Snow Leopard. There is no difference between software marketing and hardware.

Since when do iPhone users pay for updates? This isn't the iPod touch we're talking about...

25. synagence macrumors 6502a

Apple has invested and bought a stake in the company that makes the PowerVR chip, they bought a high-performance, low-consumption chip design company .... they signed a deal with LG to get LED LCD's and OLED displays ...

There will be an iPhone 3.0 in june, with significant new internals and a new iPhone OS

Its clear that while things like the Google G1 (Android), the Blackberry Storm and the Palm Pre that Apple DO need to improve the iPhone to take it ahead of the curve again ... IMHO its still the best touch device but its clear it wasn't designed with the AppStore in mind ... 9 pages of icons and scrolling etc ... it needs work now ... and they'll innovate again.

"Competition is good, it makes us all better" - Tim Cooke about 5 minutes ago
    He also implied that they are looking carefully at their patents on tech in regards to new competitors....