Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Hi there,
does anybody know the reason why as of now no Nvidia cards are available for the MacPro configuration?

Do you have to order them outside of the Apple-store? The problem is how can you buy the MacPro without the Ati card so you can get a Nvidia separately from elsewhere?

Vylen

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Hi there,
does anybody know the reason why as of now no Nvidia cards are available for the MacPro configuration?

No official reason.

Do you have to order them outside of the Apple-store? The problem is how can you buy the MacPro without the Ati card so you can get a Nvidia separately from elsewhere?

Only the things in the Apple store are officially supported - as of now. You could buy the older nVidia cards if you can find them. And you can't buy a Mac Pro without a graphics card - unless you buy it off someone.

Manzanito

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2010
Hi MBX.

You can currently buy two nVidia cards, the GT 120 and the Quadro FX 4800. Last time I checked, both were available at Apple Online Store.

It has been confirmed by nVidia that the new Fermi Quadro will be available this fall for the Mac, if you're not in a hurry it might be worth the wait.

As for ordering the Mac Pro without the ATI, I'm afraid it can't be done.

Bye.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
In 2009, the GTX 285 was from EVGA so not from Apple. At least Quadro FX 4800 (?) has been confirmed and there was some talks about GTX 480 too. Anyway, you can use any NVIDIA GPU under Boot Camp if you really want one for gaming.

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
Nvidia and apple arnt exactly seeing eye to eye. Plus problem with licensing with the i series of intel chips, the possible fight with intel driving apple toward AMD and the ATI series. Big problems with a few of Nvidia's GFX cards in the past like the 8800gt in the macbook pros 7300gt in the mac pro.

Apple doesnt seem to like nvidia that much anymore, hence why all the Nvidia cards that have been released after the 8800gt in the 2008 mac pro wernt really advertised by apple, and like 6-12 months late.

I prefer Nvidia to ATI always had problems with the ATI cards. So i got the EVGA 285 over the 4870. Lets hope Nvidia and apple can see eye to eye in the future.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
I prefer Nvidia to ATI always had problems with the ATI cards. So i got the EVGA 285 over the 4870. Lets hope Nvidia and apple can see eye to eye in the future.

Humorous statement considering the ATI drivers are more well-rounded compared to the ones supplied by nVIDIA for Mac OS X.

Even more fun is that no one complained much about it before when we were on the PowerPC bandwagon.

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
Humorous statement considering the ATI drivers are more well-rounded compared to the ones supplied by nVIDIA for Mac OS X.

Even more fun is that no one complained much about it before when we were on the PowerPC bandwagon.

I meant that i have had multiple cards fail, 1900xt and a 2600xt. Why i favor Nvidia.

kdb31

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2008
SF Bay Area
I'm rather disappointed as well since my apps use CUDA. I hate the idea of paying for a flashed 285 (on ebay) thats the same price as the faster 5870. My 8800GT just died and two of my other friends with 8800s and the mac pro are also starting to experience artifacting but until opencl becomes the standard nvidias the only choice in my mind.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Hi there,

1. Too hot and consume too much power
2. ATI offers cheaper alternatives that are equally capable for less power draw and heat.
3. nVidia's offerings are already price marked high as is, imagine the Apple Tax on them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.