No Pre-Orders Then - Lines, Lines, Lines!

realph

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
If you want it for launch you're going to have to get down to an Apple Store and wait in line, if you don't mind waiting for shipping you'll be able to order it online on release day. Kinda sucks Apple are doing this, it was alright queuing up for the iPad in late May, but March is freezing over here in the UK.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
They can't pre-order because the product has not been cleared by the FCC. you cannot sell (or preorder) what has not been authorized.

nmills

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
I am thinking the same pre order by weekend
I hope so, but I doubt it. People will be very angry if they thought preorders don't start until the 11th, then find out that they missed out on pre orders because they didn't know they started taking orders. I don't think they'll change they'll change the order date.
I certainly HOPE that they do. But I don't think that they will.

Goldfrapp

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2005
I'm glad it's in mid-March. Waiting in line in April-May in NY is sheer torture. Gawd, I hate NY heat/humidity.

I wouldn't even mind waiting in line in January for that matter. :eek:

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
Apple products aren't seen as being truly successful unless there are huge lines. They get huge amount of free publicity because of the lines. Apple want to guarantee the lines.

jsbaugh

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
Apple store, walmart, best buy etc... will all be carrying the ipad on the 11th. I dont think you will have to wait in a line unless you want to.

babydinosaur

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
I agree! It will be cold where I live too. :( Hopefully Apple allows preorders later since that line is usually shorter. What time is everyone going to go line up?

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I'm glad it's in mid-March. Waiting in line in April-May in NY is sheer torture. Gawd, I hate NY heat/humidity.

Our temperatures dropped to single digits last week and we have snow everywhere. :mad:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Our temperatures dropped to single digits last week and we have snow everywhere. :mad:
It's lucky that Apple fans are willing to suffer unlimited personal hardships in their quest to be the first one on their block to have the latest shiny gadget!

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Let's see... Albany NY is the nearest Apple store... where the forecast low for overnight tonight is 5ºF. Would require a 180 mile round trip. For tomorrow afternoon, between here and Albany, lies a forecast of rain, sleet, freezing rain and snow. I would love to line up for iPad2 the way I did for my first iPhone, but that was at the end of June when it's light until 9pm and this is March when it's dark by 6:30. Same by next weekend?? Nobrainer: I am not tempted! But I will be with the liners-up in spirit. It is so much fun and so exciting to get an apple-something on the first day. :cool: And the people you meet are all fun too. Have a great time!

wfj5444

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008

Bwahaha, Try waiting for the iPhone 3G in July in Alabama. I am bald and turned lobster colored.

:mad:

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
You can always dress for the cold. It's all about layering. There's no protection against opressive heat, sun and humidity. I'll take waiting in cold over heat any day.

Davichi

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
Or you can wait like a normal person and pre-order online.

If you cannot wait for 3-5 days of delivery, then something has to give for your impatience.

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
My plan will likely be to see if Wal-Mart, if it is proven they will have them on launch day, has them at midnight at a Supercenter, otherwise preorder online.

nmills

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
My plan will likely be to see if Wal-Mart, if it is proven they will have them on launch day, has them at midnight at a Supercenter, otherwise preorder online.
Do other stores (Best Buy/WM/etc) not have to wait until 5PM?

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Do other stores (Best Buy/WM/etc) not have to wait until 5PM?
I thought they did last year. Apple forbade them to sell before local Apple stores. Some at Best Buy were given place numbers so they would not have to stand in line. How Walmart will handle it is unknown.
I don't expect long lines although the WIFI only may sell out fast.

Last edited: