No Pre-Orders Then - Lines, Lines, Lines!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by realph, Mar 3, 2011.

1. realph macrumors regular

If you want it for launch you're going to have to get down to an Apple Store and wait in line, if you don't mind waiting for shipping you'll be able to order it online on release day. Kinda sucks Apple are doing this, it was alright queuing up for the iPad in late May, but March is freezing over here in the UK.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They can't pre-order because the product has not been cleared by the FCC. you cannot sell (or preorder) what has not been authorized.

3. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

I am thinking the same pre order by weekend

4. nmills macrumors regular

I hope so, but I doubt it. People will be very angry if they thought preorders don't start until the 11th, then find out that they missed out on pre orders because they didn't know they started taking orders. I don't think they'll change they'll change the order date.
    I certainly HOPE that they do. But I don't think that they will.

5. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

I'm glad it's in mid-March. Waiting in line in April-May in NY is sheer torture. Gawd, I hate NY heat/humidity.

I wouldn't even mind waiting in line in January for that matter. :eek:

6. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

7. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Apple products aren't seen as being truly successful unless there are huge lines. They get huge amount of free publicity because of the lines. Apple want to guarantee the lines.

8. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

Ooh good point. Maybe they will open up pre-ordering then next week

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes. The original iPad preorder period came weeks after the announcement.

10. jsbaugh macrumors 6502

Apple store, walmart, best buy etc... will all be carrying the ipad on the 11th. I dont think you will have to wait in a line unless you want to.

11. babydinosaur macrumors newbie

I agree! It will be cold where I live too. :( Hopefully Apple allows preorders later since that line is usually shorter. What time is everyone going to go line up?

12. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Has this been confirmed?

But they didn't have a set launch date before the pre-order was announce IIRC

13. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

I am not close close to a store and have 800 in apple GC so i will wait if i have too

14. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Our temperatures dropped to single digits last week and we have snow everywhere. :mad:

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It's lucky that Apple fans are willing to suffer unlimited personal hardships in their quest to be the first one on their block to have the latest shiny gadget!

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Let's see... Albany NY is the nearest Apple store... where the forecast low for overnight tonight is 5ºF. Would require a 180 mile round trip. For tomorrow afternoon, between here and Albany, lies a forecast of rain, sleet, freezing rain and snow. I would love to line up for iPad2 the way I did for my first iPhone, but that was at the end of June when it's light until 9pm and this is March when it's dark by 6:30. Same by next weekend?? Nobrainer: I am not tempted! But I will be with the liners-up in spirit. It is so much fun and so exciting to get an apple-something on the first day. :cool: And the people you meet are all fun too. Have a great time!

18. wfj5444 macrumors 6502

Bwahaha, Try waiting for the iPhone 3G in July in Alabama. I am bald and turned lobster colored.

:mad:

19. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

You can always dress for the cold. It's all about layering. There's no protection against opressive heat, sun and humidity. I'll take waiting in cold over heat any day.

20. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

Sweet :D

I'm just going to be sitting in the warm cozy malls.

21. Davichi macrumors 6502

Or you can wait like a normal person and pre-order online.

If you cannot wait for 3-5 days of delivery, then something has to give for your impatience.

22. jreuschl macrumors 6502

My plan will likely be to see if Wal-Mart, if it is proven they will have them on launch day, has them at midnight at a Supercenter, otherwise preorder online.

23. nmills macrumors regular

Do other stores (Best Buy/WM/etc) not have to wait until 5PM?

24. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Good question

25. WLS, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

WLS macrumors 65816

I thought they did last year. Apple forbade them to sell before local Apple stores. Some at Best Buy were given place numbers so they would not have to stand in line. How Walmart will handle it is unknown.
    I don't expect long lines although the WIFI only may sell out fast.