No problem if the built in fan is activated due to heat?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by doxavita, May 21, 2011.

1. doxavita macrumors 6502a

Is heat an issue? ( I hear the built-in fan is running, maybe cause I've been running some Java and Flash), but the 27" iMac is well equipped to handle heat issues right, no problem?

2. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

I remember reading in a different post in this forum that if there's heat coming out, then the Mac is doing its job very well. On top of that, it also said that the aluminum body helps a lot.

3. johnfkitchen macrumors regular

No problem. That's what the fan is for. You can be confident that heat is not an issue.

But if you want to watch what's going on, download any of many free temperature displaying programs.

I use "Temperature Monitor" and the Lite version, but there may be better ones - check the forums.

4. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

Heat is bad and heat will kill your machine if it is not removed via fans. I tell everyone buy iStat for 15 bucks has tons of info and options for fan control and temp control. It gives clear info on memory fans temp and is on the top bar of the machine see shot attached . your machine is more then 1.2 k why not spend 15 bucks to keep a good eye on it. also make sure your machine can breath. don't box it in.

Attached Files:

5. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

dont worry its a good sign if the fans are running , a bad sign would be if smoke came out of the slot on the back,but until then everything is fine

6. David G. macrumors 65816

You can also get the iStat Pro widget from Apple widget pages and get all that info anyway, and I do believe it is free.

7. tsugaru macrumors 6502

It's like your car's radiator fan. It only comes on when needed.

But yes, it will work when needed.

8. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Actually it's always on. It speeds up as temps climb.