Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProTruckDriver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2016
Virginia
A few days ago I upgraded from macOS Mojave to macOS Catalina 10.15.2. From download to completed install took one hour with out any problems. Tested all my applications and all are working fine. My main concern with Catalina was if my HP Officejet Pro 8625 printer / scanner was going to work correctly. Tested the Printer / Scanner all is well. Catalina is working very fast, faster than Mojave was on my Mac computer. I had my doubts about upgrading to Catalina because of all the reviews and posts on some of the Mac forums with all the problems members were having. I took a chance and upgraded and I'm very satisfied I did. :)

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
A few days ago I upgraded from macOS Mojave to macOS Catalina 10.15.2. From download to completed install took one hour with out any problems. Tested all my applications and all are working fine. My main concern with Catalina was if my HP Officejet Pro 8625 printer / scanner was going to work correctly. Tested the Printer / Scanner all is well. Catalina is working very fast, faster than Mojave was on my Mac computer. I had my doubts about upgrading to Catalina because of all the reviews and posts on some of the Mac forums with all the problems members were having. I took a chance and upgraded and I'm very satisfied I did. :)
I just resurrected a Mac mini that had been sitting unused on my shelf for nearly two years. Installed Catalina on it and it's running quite well.

Reactions: ProTruckDriver

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
Give it time.

Mine was working fine until I synced my music in Finder - I got 40 identical copies of one playlist instead of all my playlists.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I have posted the below in another thread as well, but posting it here for help, hopefully.

Does anyone else with a MacBook Air 2017:

Find upon a restart or a cold boot that some apps that are usually in the Other folder in launchpad are now spread out in Launchpad?

Automator, Chess, Font Book, Image Capture, QuickTime Player, Stickies, TextEdit are the apps that are outside the Utilities folder in Finder > Applications.

The Utilities folder in Finder is what is shown as Other folder in launchpad, and has 17 apps that are reflected as is in Other folder in Launchpad when the aforementioned apps are spilled out randomly on a restart/ cold boot. When I use the Terminal command to reset Launchpad, the aforementioned app icons get consolidated back in the Other folder in Launchpad, but remain outside of Utilities folder in Finder > Applications anyway.

Would someone who has never seen this problem tell me if these aforementioned apps are in Finder > Applications or Finder > Applications > Utilities folder for them?

I am trying to not perform a complete reinstall at this point, since otherwise the system is not showing any issues.

Rene020

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2015
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I agree with the original poster. The launch day experience of Catalina wasn't good, with many strange popups and cloud services requiring log-out/log-in. But ever since 10.15.1, the OS has been perfectly smooth, stable, and fast on my MacBook Pro. Don't be too afraid of upgrading.

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
On my Macbook Pro 15 inch 2015 Catalina 10.15.2 runs well too. But it’s a pity I don’t have Sidecar. Anyway the updates are definitely an improvement. :)

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Find upon a restart or a cold boot that some apps that are usually in the Other folder in launchpad are now spread out in Launchpad?
Those apps you mentioned now live in the Applications folder and are no longer in the Utilities folder. If you like Launchpad to display them in the Other folder, you can put them there by dragging. No problem.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Those apps you mentioned now live in the Applications folder and are no longer in the Utilities folder. If you like Launchpad to display them in the Other folder, you can put them there by dragging. No problem.

Well, I just went ahead with a reinstall, it was pending anyway. I see that by default, those apps I mentioned are now outside the Utilities folder in Applications, but again, by default, those very apps are inside the Other folder in Launchpad. I think sometime soon they will fix either of the two to reflect whatever it is they want to.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
That's not what you said a few posts earlier. You said they were "spread out in LaunchPad". I find that their location in LaunchPad matches their location in the Application folder. But, as I said, you can rearrange LaunchPad however you like.

You are right, this is not what I said in my first, wherein I said icons were spread out in Launchpad.

In my second post, I said I reinstalled the OS, and upon restart, I found the situation to be where the Utilities folder had 17 apps (with the ones you and I mentioned as outside in the Applications folder) but the Other folder in Launchpad had them together as 21 apps. So, I surmised that Apple would fix either of the two to reflect whatever it is they want to. :)

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Catalina works fine except for one thing. Each time I power it on, it opens some of the apps I had open. Just odd.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Catalina works fine except for one thing. Each time I power it on, it opens some of the apps I had open. Just odd.
macOS has been doing that for several years now--by design. If you don't want that, put a check in System Preferences > General > Close windows when quitting an app.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
in the Restart window, is "reopen windows when logging back in" checked? if so... uncheck it...
macOS has been doing that for several years now--by design. If you don't want that, put a check in System Preferences > General > Close windows when quitting an app.
in the Restart window, is "reopen windows when logging back in" checked? if so... uncheck it...

Those are already checked and unchecked. Also, nothing in login items. I’ve never had these issue until Catalina. From 10.3 until now....

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
something is opening those apps. check the app's preferences as well. and which apps are opening?

btw, i appreciate that my suggestion was so good, u quoted it twice... :cool:

jrcw

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2019
Any time Apple comes out with a new system I always install on a laptop dedicated to new system software. This removes any potential issues with 3rd party software or upgrading from previous Apple system software. Upon installing the first release of Catalina there was the constant iCloud password issue which should never have been a problem. I have a 1000mbps internet connection yet Catalina navigation to well known websites were much slower than Mojave. Also trying to download the subsequent Catalina updates was very frustrating. With all Apple's promotion of Catalina they dropped the ball on beta testing and quality control before the release. Maybe by the third generation Catalina will be a reliable operating system.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Any time Apple comes out with a new system I always install on a laptop dedicated to new system software. This removes any potential issues with 3rd party software or upgrading from previous Apple system software. Upon installing the first release of Catalina there was the constant iCloud password issue which should never have been a problem. I have a 1000mbps internet connection yet Catalina navigation to well known websites were much slower than Mojave. Also trying to download the subsequent Catalina updates was very frustrating. With all Apple's promotion of Catalina they dropped the ball on beta testing and quality control before the release. Maybe by the third generation Catalina will be a reliable operating system.

but you do understand that your experience doesn't speak for everyone? catalina is fine (or mostly fine) on my macs, both updated from mojave. apps run, the OS is stable, fast. and all my 3rd-party software works (i did plan to run only 64bit apps; the only thing i've lost is quicktime 7, and that's fine).

Reactions: revmacian

jrcw

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2019
I'm not speaking for everyone. I'm speaking as a indivdual with forty years experience as a Macintosh/Windows System Administrator and Prepress Technican. Catalina was not Apple's finest moment.

Reactions: Wolf1701

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. Too good to be true that it's running good so far. Time will tell.
Nah, nothing to fear. I also upgraded to Catalina and I'm quite happy with the upgrade. There might be an issue here and there but I'm quite please all around :)
[automerge]1576678656[/automerge]
I'm not speaking for everyone. I'm speaking as a indivdual with forty years experience as a Macintosh/Windows System Administrator and Prepress Technican. Catalina was not Apple's finest moment.
We get it.. so fix the problem and move on. There is no point in staying stuck at a point that causes stress or hardship. Solve the problem, find a workaround, switch systems.. do something so that you can move on and avoid stagnation that prevents growth and happiness. Harboring grudges and regret is unhealthy.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.