Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
The problem is that Apple cannot control what light be problematic files, folders, etc. with third party applications. If one is meticulous about keeping such applications up to date, and doing associated disk maintenance, cleanup, and if needed, repairs, then most likely skipping two versions of the OS should be OK. The one instance, though, that would have had to most risk is when Apple implemented the APFS file system with High Sierra.
That’s one thing I don’t love about Apple’s annual updates. Most users will just click that aggressive update notification and walk away.

However, I’d assume most users that blindly click that button run their computers close to stock.

That’s one thing I don’t love about Apple’s annual updates. Most users will just click that aggressive update notification and walk away.
Well stated! And additionally, most folks do not bother to check the compatibility of their third party applications with the OS they are moving to.

However, I’d assume most users that blindly click that button run their computers close to stock.
Let's hope so, or else they could have issues.
[automerge]1577728755[/automerge]
I want to update to Catalina to have my Reminders syncing across my devices again, but I'm holding onto Mojave for iTunes at the moment.

I've managed a library of local music for a few years now (not huge, about 70GB) with corrected metadata and many custom standard and smart playlists. I'm afraid to update to Catalina for all the complaints in this thread about the new Music app and transition issues from iTunes.

iTunes has always worked fine for me, so I'm afraid of changing.

Do you happen to have a spare external drive/SSD? I have a spare Samsung 500 gig 860 EVO SSD that I have used for first testing both Mojave and Catalina before moving to each of those. If you do, you can test out Catalina and see what issues (hopefully none) you have.

If you decide to do that, you will have the opportunity to do a clean, fresh installation of Catalina onto that external device. However, you might want to wait just a little longer, as Apple introduced the first beta of the next version of Catalina, OS 10.15.3, on December 13th. Yeah, a while ago, but I'll bet that after Wednesday, succeeding betas will come faster.

Last edited:

bennyprofane

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2015
most mac users don't do more than click 'update'... and most mac users... just use their macs.

That is true but you also have to see the state that their systems are on.

As someone who does a bit of IT support for family and friends and thus helps a lot of non power users, I have seen a lot.

I am actually surprised that Apple recommends just updating from one OS to the next when it clearly leads to so many problems.

Mostly their systems just get slower and run hotter. It's quite common that a simple application like text edit which should open on a SSD Mac in a second or less takes 5 to 10 seconds and more.

So many users just use their macs... and have to live with the consequences.

Also, not totally unrelated, I think a new OS every year is just too much. Just when one OS get's good, they abandon it for the next. Every two years would be better.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
That is true but you also have to see the state that their systems are on.

As someone who does a bit of IT support for family and friends and thus helps a lot of non power users, I have seen a lot.

I am actually surprised that Apple recommends just updating from one OS to the next when it clearly leads to so many problems.

Mostly their systems just get slower and run hotter. It's quite common that a simple application like text edit which should open on a SSD Mac in a second or less takes 5 to 10 seconds and more.

So many users just use their macs... and have to live with the consequences.

Also, not totally unrelated, I think a new OS every year is just too much. Just when one OS get's good, they abandon it for the next. Every two years would be better.

not to get into a battle, but after 15 years of freelance mac support in nyc... i've seen a lot too. and i stand by my comment; most people just use their macs, and, in my humble experience, most of their problems are not the OS, but user error, or a misunderstanding of how things work.

since all of this is anecdotal, seems tiresome (and endless) that people post their opinions, or guesses, as if they were facts. no one here knows the details of the overall mac user base worldwide; what works, what doesn't.

maybe in the new year we'll have less rants and 'facts'... and more discussion.

nah... :p

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
you left out 'for me', ie Catalina was not Apple's finest moment for me...

I ran an unsupported version on my old Mac and it was fine. I just prefer HFS+, so I switched back. On my older hardware, it seems HFS+ is faster. So proof of that, just my experience. Besides, High Sierra is still a good OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.