No Screen Protector??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snarestud940, Sep 30, 2014.

1. snarestud940 macrumors 6502

Is anyone rocking their iPhone 6+ without a screen protector? I just received my replacement 6+ in the mail, and had a screen protector on my old one that I just sent back. I've always had one, but have been hearing things that I don't need one, and I also like the feeling of just the glass?

2. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Never had screen protectors on any of my iPhones and never will.

3. BoricuaHec01 macrumors 6502

Yea screen protectors are lame and make the phone look filthy.

4. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502

Have you ever had scratch problems?

5. legioxi macrumors 6502a

No case or screen protector here. I treat it like a tool and after a year or two, sure it looks a bit worn. The back takes the brunt of the damage. However it still functions perfectly. The display normally gets a few very light scratches but nothing that is visible without looking at specific angles in specific light with the display itself off.

I have AC+ if something major happens to the phone.

I've given my last two to my mom who is happy with the condition and put a case on them which covers the back. They still have 2 AC+ replacements and 1 year left on their warranty when I pass them on.

6. Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

7. HenryDJP macrumors 603

It's not common for most people to use a screen protector. I've never used one and never will. If the screen wasn't meant to be naked it would come with one.

8. Agent-P, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014

Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

For a few years now smartphone screens have become very good at resisting scratches. As long as there aren't any metallic objects in the same pocket (or pouch of a purse) as the iPhone the screen probably won't get scratched. I haven't used one in ages and my screen has always remained in pristine condition.

9. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Nobodies 'rocking' anything. It's a cell phone.

10. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

The screen is very scratch resistant.

The oleophobic coating will scratch with a paper towel. If you don't want to see micro scratches in sunlight, then get a screen protector.

If you don't care about the oleophobic coating, then don't use one. The screen itself will be fine.

I personally can't stand microscratches. If I can prevent them with a thin piece of glass over the top of my screen that can barely be seen, then I'll do that every time.

11. PixelpusherBV macrumors member

I always want the maximum return when I sell my iPhone, so have always used SPs. I usually go with Media Devil matte film protectors which are excellent, but if you like the feel of glass, go with a tempered glass protector and get the best of both worlds.

12. akrimmer, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014

akrimmer macrumors member

I've pretty much used Zagg protectors for all of my iPhones and have always loved them. They have, in the past, altered the feel the of the screen a bit making them feel a little more tacky. However, with my 6 Plus, I got the Zaag Glass and it is better then any of their other protectors I have used. Aside from the edges of the protector, you can barely tell it is there. Much easier to apply, no bubbles and no tacky screen. Smooth as glass, hence the name. :p

20% orders through today as well: ZAGGMAC20

13. andyx3x macrumors 65816

All screen protectors look crappy but Zagg protectors are the king there.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I agree. I am surprised how well my 4S held up for the past 6 months without a screen protector. I wear earrings, sometimes diamond studs, and it looks as though the screen never scratched once. I didn't think to look until just now.

Though that is how it worked with my 4S, I did buy a couple of screen protectors for my 6. Just for now. It took me 2 1/2 years to not use one on my 4S, I assume the 6 will appreciate the same time. :)

15. BoricuaHec01 macrumors 6502

Not once, had iPhone 5 without a protector for two years and still looked mint. I'm real careful though.

16. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

I've gotten hairline scratches on any iPhone I've used when I would go screen protector-less once in a while. I used a Zagg Glass on my 5S for the first few months I had it and it developed the same scratches the naked glass would have, though they seemed to be a little more noticeable.

I'd say you will be fine not using a screen protector as those faint scratches are just the oleophobic coating being scratched and not the actual glass.

17. sholzer macrumors regular

I've always used one just for the sake of having a little more security. Always thought about ditching them, but now that tempered glass screen protectors have come out, I feel there is no reason not to. You get the same awesome feel and protection for the actual device. It's always worth it to me when I sell my phone at the end and can say it has had a protector since day 1

18. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

I think it's ridiculous to have a screen protector on a touch screen device. If you need one you have the wrong device.

19. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I never had a screen protector, I've gotten scratches on screens, but nothing noticeable. After a year and especially after two years, I kinda expect my phone to have some wear and tear. But I don't resell my phones.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You'll get microscratches in the oleophobic coating which are normal with use but they're not normally visible unless under certain lights and angles. However, you shouldn't get any actual scratches in the glass if you take care of your device.

21. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

I always use one. Hate scratches of any kind regardless of whether or not they are in the glass or coating. I like knowing the screen is perfect underneath. I also hate it when the coating rubs away and the glass seems less clear and much more prone to fingerprints and smudges, and at that point they are ten times harder to wipe away. I think I'm going to go with a curved glass screen protector this time (iloome maybe) and see how that works. Seems like it's the best of both worlds.

22. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I'm using an SGP Crystal protector. It's not pretty, but I have no bubbles and it doesn't affect the visibility of the screen when the screen is on.

Reasons:
    1) I live in a dusty, sandy region, and I run trails with my phone.
    2) I like my screens to be pristine without micro-scratches.
    3) I like that it lends a little bit of extra protection to the screen against nicks and random acts of "oh crap". (I also use a thin TPU case for the same reason).

23. shaunmed macrumors regular

screen protectors are like condoms, only for sailors and harlots.

24. big samm macrumors 65816

I always put one on every iphones i got, the day i sell my device i take it off and the screen is brand new and it's easier to sell

25. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey