No Sim Card?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mieverpow, Sep 23, 2017.

1. mieverpow macrumors newbie

mieverpow

I tried to set up my wife’s watch on cellular (after successfully setting up my own) and it wouldn’t connect. I talked to Verizon and those geniuses said there was no Sim in the Watch and I had to go to the Verizon store to pickup a Sim card to install. (Ha!)

Anyone else have this issue or have a resolution? I spoke with Apple who said it was a carrier issue not a hardware issue.

2. Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

Yes I had this happen to me yesterday where the representative was insisting they had to mail me a Sim card and that then I had to take it to a Verizon store to have them install it. I kept telling them they were wrong. My resolution Was to get someone on the Add a line team to get a supervisor and just keep insisting that they escalate it up.

3. stevenahammer macrumors newbie

I have this same issue. No help from Verizon just went in to the store. Unable to activate my watch.

4. Farrellcollie, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

I called this number 800-922-0204 then got sent to add new line - argued with guy who said I needed a sim- - then escalated up to supervisor who understood -finally worked for me yesterday. There is another thread about this too that may have some further tips

5. stevenahammer macrumors newbie

Interesting I’ll give them a call. I got a free month of connectivity for the issue. What did he have to do for it to work? I feel as if I must explain to them what to do.

6. Farrellcollie, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

Unfortunately I’m not completely positive what all they had to do -I had been on the phone with them like three different times and had a two hour online chat with them. They gave me a billing adjustment on my line for all the trouble before i got sent to the add new line guys. They had to take something out and reset something but I really don’t know the specifics. There may be more specifics from someone else on the other thread
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/setting-up-lte-verizon.2070671/

The guy also said the watch had its own number and gave me a number for it but said it goes through my Original number I have no idea how it works

7. mieverpow thread starter macrumors newbie

mieverpow

Thanks for all of this info! I will try giving them a call again!

--- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2017 ---
    I called Verizon again this morning, and she was able to add a line, but still can't get it connected to the correct phone number. After being on hold for over 25 minutes, she said she'd call me back within 24 hours.... Hopefully a resolution is coming!

8. dave006 Contributor

dave006

The watch needs a Cellular number to be assigned to it in the system. Then Number Share pairs the Watch and your iPhone to use the iPhones number. So when you make a call, send a message, etc.. it shows your iPhones number.

For all customer purposes, the watch's number is never used.

Dave

9. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

I’m on the phone with Verizon right now trying to connect my watch. Went to the store, the guy gave me a new number and told me to wait 30 minutes for it to activate. It’s been 2 hours and I still have no LTE on my watch.

10. Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

The funny part is that the guy on the phone from Verizon told me it was so that I could use the watch alone if I wanted to get rid of the phone. That the watch could then just be used with its own number. Of course since he was also the guy who said he had to mail me a Sim card and I had to take it to Verizon to be inserted – pretty much anything he told me is suspect.

11. dave006 Contributor

dave006

No all of what he said is suspect aka WRONG as you might have guessed. If you call the number assigned to your watch it should just ring, ring, and ring if your watch is paired correctly to your iPhone.

Dave
    --- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2017 ---
    Did he also attach the right plan to this new number? It requires a specific plan to be assigned to the new line: $10 Unlimited Wearable plan.

Dave

12. Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

Yes - I did not believe anything verizon "you need us to send you a sim card" guy said. I thought that was implied

13. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

That's besides the point. Even if the existing number is selected - their not detecting the digital SIM/IMSI number that is imbedded in the Apple Watch. THAT is the issue. Remember the person is trying to 'Activate' the SIM to an existing number - until that's done there is no reason to call the phone lines number expecting it to ring on the watch, right?

14. ersan191 macrumors 65816

I had this happen to me once after having service setup and working, I went for a swim and when I got out it said there was No SIM - all I had to do was go on my iPhone to the Watch app and Cellular, and it started working again.

This is probably only for people who had service working at some point.

15. mieverpow thread starter macrumors newbie

mieverpow

day 4 with Verizon and no solution... anyone know the key words to tell this people to get it to work?

--- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2017 ---
    To make matters worse, in the process of doing all this, they DE-ACTIVATED my wife's phone!!! SMH

16. pjfla macrumors newbie

Im in the same boat. 5 hours of calls with VZW and Apple yesterday and two VZW retail visits this am. Last VZW guy said I need to return to Best Buy because the AW is defective!

17. Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

Verizon support is manned by idiots. The sad thing is - att and tmobile are no better.

18. Ffosse macrumors 68000

It's amazing that the store staff haven't been told that the device contains an embedded sim.

19. ersan191 macrumors 65816

To be fair I don't think the watch should ever say "No SIM" if there is no physical SIM to be missing, because the first thing I thought when it happened to me was "oh no, water got in the watch and damaged something".