Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bag99001

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2015
Hello - I keep getting a no sim error on my xs max upgraded to the latest version of iOS 16. Worked fine for a while… but randomly getting no sim and a restart generally fixes. Not close by an AT&T or Apple Store unfortunately. Unrelated I believe…Siri is also all of a sudden not working for me.
I’m not finding a trend for this online. Any ideas?

CabanossiHead

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2022
Same trouble. My physical sim works in all other phones but in the iphone it keeps telling me I have no sim

bag99001

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2015
I drove to an AT&T store, and they replaced the SIM with no problem. No errors since. Siri is still inconsistent (likely unrelated). Hoping that'll resolve with a software update too... Came back temporarily after deleting and restoring network preferences but didn't last long. I suspect both issues are exacerbated by software issues from the early days of iOS 16 but who knows? Hard to distinguish between hardware failures sometimes that happens too close to software upgrades...

CabanossiHead

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2022
I guess I ll have to talk to my carrier tomorrow and get the eSim. The sim works in alkl other phones so I know its ios side but I really need my mobile.

bag99001

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2015
I guess I ll have to talk to my carrier tomorrow and get the eSim. The sim works in alkl other phones so I know its ios side but I really need my mobile.
Maybe a hyper sensitivity to a failure in the sim somehow that is present in your other devices. Worth just getting a replacement - may solve the problem. I do see the iPhone 14 having reports of sim failures so suspect there is a wider iOS 16 software issue than just the newest devices but not as many people are reporting it.

CabanossiHead

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2022
Maybe a hyper sensitivity to a failure in the sim somehow that is present in your other devices. Worth just getting a replacement - may solve the problem. I do see the iPhone 14 having reports of sim failures so suspect there is a wider iOS 16 software issue than just the newest devices but not as many people are reporting it.
feels like they wanna push eSim. the sim works in the s22 ultra of my sis and my old phone. Getting a new physical sim will cost me 15 bucks while esim should be free.

CabanossiHead

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2022
So yesterday someone told me not just to test my sim in my old phones but get another phone from a frined. I did. Yeap card is shot. there is the tiniest of dents in the middle.
Getting the esim right now.

His card worked in my phone, mine did not in his

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Same trouble. My physical sim works in all other phones but in the iphone it keeps telling me I have no sim

I have the same issue with my iPad Air 4th Gen, the SIM started acting wonky about 2 months ago.

However, this same SIM works in a 5th Gen Air and a Samsung Galaxy S23 ...

How does a SIM card just "die" if there's no physical wear?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.