No SMS over LTE!!!!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by sorka, Sep 29, 2017.

1. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

2. alee macrumors 6502

SMS is doesn't work if your phone is off. Your phone must be on for your Watch to receive SMS.

Why? SMS cannot be redirected to multiple devices like traditional chat services - it's an old mechanism that allow 2 phone numbers to exchange a conversation with each other, and only each other. The only way you can get SMS on your Mac and iPad is through by Text Message Forwarding, in which the iPhone receives the text and then relays it to other devices.

Keep your phone on somewhere, anywhere, and it'll work fine.

3. porkrind macrumors regular

porkrind

4. sorka thread starter macrumors newbie

My daughter's phone has to be turned off and turned in when she gets to school. The kids are allowed to keep the watches on. I need to be able to SMS her. The rest of the household is android so iMessage won't work from those.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 29, 2017 ---
    Just did. Thanks for giving me permission.

5. alee macrumors 6502

That watch isn't going to make it through a day on LTE-only anyway.

6. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Ah I see. Should go all Android for the whole house to get rid of issue like this.

7. sorka thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that would fix the issue but my daughter would ground me for life for even hinting at the possibility :rolleyes:

8. Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

Could you get an old cheap iphone to keep with you and use some cheap service like mintsim ( I paid less than $200 a year for my service with them) to communicate over imessage from your end to her? I have verizon for my main service, but we use mintsim for my partner

9. vista.john macrumors regular

Just to give you some ideas.

There will be cross platform message apps supporting LTE apple watch, if not already (WeChat, for example). SMS is not the only way to communicate cross platforms these days.

Plus if you are up for iMessage, all you need is an iPod touch to communicate with her using iMessage.

And if she does not make lots of phone calls during the day, battery will have no problem last for the whole school day. Apple watch will be perfect for her situation without the iPhone. - Good luck!

10. richard371 macrumors 68020

Once the school figures out the capabilities of the lte watch and kids are communicating with it it will not be allowed or have to be shut off. You can use Facebook messenger or wechat in the meantime. Look forward to the day when sms is obsolete.

11. Luba macrumors 65816

Luba

1 hour talk time on AW on LTE, but what is the battery life for AW on LTE on standby?

12. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

Poor kid. Because of the dad who refuses to use a iphone she won't get the lte apple watch. But the watch would be dead in 4 hrs anyway on lte standby. LOL

13. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

Highly doubt it.

14. BigAppleNYC123 macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

I actually own the product and you are wrong. The device will last all day if Long phone calls are avoided, which should be easy in school.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 30, 2017 ---
    1) have her leave an iphone at home plugged in and on

2) did you know you can’t even set up an Apple Watch without an iPhone anyhow

3) Buy an iphone 5S or 6 refurbished for cheap. Buying a watch before iphone is putting cart before the horse.

15. profets macrumors 601

Just curious - if students have to hand in and power off their phones while at school, maybe they shouldn’t be communicating while in class? Would you actually be texting her frequently or would it be for a once in a blue moon emergency scenario?

16. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Just curious why you “need” to text her while she’s in school?
    For decades kids went to school where parents had to go through the office to communicate with their children.

17. technopimp macrumors 6502a

What grade is she in? This seems weird...

18. Ejkjr macrumors member

Why in the world would you need to text her while she's in school? you couldn't before the Apple Watch so whats the problem?

19. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

We don't allow students to keep phones on during school because we don't want their attention wandering. If it's important, call the front office and leave a message for your daughter.

It's parents like you who make our jobs as educators a nightmare.

20. alee macrumors 6502

I actually own two of them, a 38 and a 42. This assumes she’s going to receive one text and keep the device on idle the rest of the time. The kid is going to use that small screen so much either the watch will be taken away or she’ll run out of juice before the day is up.

21. dlbmacfan macrumors regular

22. Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

If the child is in school - why would she be using the watch enough to run out of battery? I work and although I check my watch from time to time - I do not run out of battery in 24 hours. If the child is using the watch that much - something is really wrong (perhaps child is very ill or something plus there are little watch chargers she could keep in her pocket to recharge it on the go) or she/parent is misusing the watch during school time

23. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68020

Why not leave her phone at home? Then it works? I assume she would only be able to use the phone on the way to and from school. But I do get kids and longer car/bus rides. Bummer that only she knows the best phone. Just kidding. :)

24. alee macrumors 6502

Well first off, she'd be using it on LTE... secondly, perhaps you haven't observed children lately but school is the least interesting part of their life. The reason they're not allowed to have phones in class is because they'd do nothing but chat, play games and cheat on tests with the device.