Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pocketpenguin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Is there no way to login using TLS encryption? I would have thought that would have been one of the first fixes after the break-in this fall.

Am I missing something?

As an aside, I ran a high volume website for many years for a major university and the one thing that blocked most attacks was forcing TLS/SSL connections for all pages, not just logins. With modern CPU's there was very little performance hit and we could see the script kiddie attacks bounce right off of us in our logs.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Is there no way to login using TLS encryption? I would have thought that would have been one of the first fixes after the break-in this fall.

Am I missing something?

As an aside, I ran a high volume website for many years for a major university and the one thing that blocked most attacks was forcing TLS/SSL connections for all pages, not just logins. With modern CPU's there was very little performance hit and we could see the script kiddie attacks bounce right off of us in our logs.

It's a little complicated because of mixed content warnings. If any non-SSL content is included in the page, then it can pop up a scary dialog to some users.

- That can happen if anyone includes an external image via the tag.
- Or from our ad network.

Solutions to #1, include turning off the [img] tag altogether, so no one can link to an external image. Or, we would have to host a caching proxy for all images linked on the forums.

There is no quick solution to #2.

We've been researching it.

arn

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
It's a little complicated because of mixed content warnings. If any non-SSL content is included in the page, then it can pop up a scary dialog to some users.

- That can happen if anyone includes an external image via the tag.
- Or from our ad network.

Solutions to #1, include turning off the [img] tag altogether, so no one can link to an external image. Or, we would have to host a caching proxy for all images linked on the forums.

There is no quick solution to #2.

We've been researching it.

arn[/QUOTE]
Thanks for this. However, images aren't considered "active" mixed content, at least by Firefox and Chrome, so they shouldn't be blocked. Scripts, on the other hand, ARE considered active, so would need to be cached. That's not a huge deal, is it? I do not know how Safari handles mixed content.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Thanks for this. However, images aren't considered "active" mixed content, at least by Firefox and Chrome, so they shouldn't be blocked. Scripts, on the other hand, ARE considered active, so would need to be cached. That's not a huge deal, is it? I do not know how Safari handles mixed content.

Safari handles it silently (but the page is not shown as secure). IE is the main culprit.

arn

pocketpenguin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
The login page doesn't have any ads that I can see. Couldn't you at least make that page TLS/SSL? Also, it looks like even the little "instant" login form could at least be directed to a TLS URL.

Actually, you really only need the login form to simply post to an SSL/TLS URL, the forms themselves can be served up unencrypted. The post login page that redirects can still point at non-ssl as well. The user would see a quick switch to ssl then back to plaintext, but there shouldn't be any warnings.

It isn't critical for me as my Mac rumors password is very different from every one of my other passwords, but others may not be so wise as me ;).

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The login page doesn't have any ads that I can see. Couldn't you at least make that page TLS/SSL? Also, it looks like even the little "instant" login form could at least be directed to a TLS URL.

Actually, you really only need the login form to simply post to an SSL/TLS URL, the forms themselves can be served up unencrypted. The post login page that redirects can still point at non-ssl as well. The user would see a quick switch to ssl then back to plaintext, but there shouldn't be any warnings.

It isn't critical for me as my Mac rumors password is very different from every one of my other passwords, but others may not be so wise as me ;).

Serving the login form alone as TLS/SSL doesn't help that much. That might protect your password submission (which is MD5'd before it get submitted), but if the rest of the pages aren't SSL, then they can still grab your session cookie.

arn

IvanX

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012

Serving the form unencrypted is a bad security practice and exposes it to Mad in the Middle attack. If the login itself can be done of HTTPS, serving the form over a secure connection should not pose much of a challenge.

Serving the login form alone as TLS/SSL doesn't help that much. That might protect your password submission (which is MD5'd before it get submitted), but if the rest of the pages aren't SSL, then they can still grab your session cookie.
Arn, MD5 is a weak hashing algorithm and is easy to reverse-engineer. Saying that a password gets MD5'd before submission does not alleviate my security concerns.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Arn, MD5 is a weak hashing algorithm and is easy to reverse-engineer. Saying that a password gets MD5'd before submission does not alleviate my security concerns.

It wasn't meant to, I was just describing the system as it stands.

arn

IvanX

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
It wasn't meant to, I was just describing the system as it stands.

arn
Fair enough, but the system as it stands is bad and insecure. What, if any, are the plans to improve the situation?

LaidBack

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2011
It looks like Google AdSense does support placing ads in https web pages. They say the bids on your ad space will decrease because only the SSL compliant ads will be allowed through. I'm not sure how bad the drop in revenue might be.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
It looks like Google AdSense does support placing ads in https web pages. They say the bids on your ad space will decrease because only the SSL compliant ads will be allowed through. I'm not sure how bad the drop in revenue might be.

Adsense isn't our only ad network.

arn

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

Being able to capture a temporary session cookie is still less severe than being able to capture a password, one that may even be used on multiple sites.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.