No swype/trace keyboard then?

bearda

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
What's all the fuss about the keyboard? I'm not seeing the issue with the current one?
The current iOS keyboard isn't bad, it just isn't very good either. Having used the webOS touchpad keyboard, Swype and SwiftyKey on Android, and a handful of others the iOS keyboard is adequate. But every time I have to switch to numbers to input a password or the like I wish something like SwiftKey was available. Even without swype/flow mode both of them are more accurate and have better predictions/corrections. Depending on how much you're typing the keyboard can have a major impact on the overall experience with a device. I don't use messaging a lot from my phone but on days I have a conversation going on Facebook I tend to use my Nexus 4 more than my iPhone just because the keyboard is better.

It's not a situation I'd consider unworkable (I haven't switched to Android yet, but II'm close for other reasons). Now that other mobile platforms have continues to improve it is a place where iOS lags behind, though. I doubt a lot of people are going to switch platforms just because of the keyboard, but for some it may be one of a handful of factors.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
I used to be think like you, debating against Swype during the windows mobile day. I no longer hold that view and love it very much. ;)
I'm not debating against it - I'm debating the point that it's not the be all and end all.

I wouldn't be bothered if it came to iOS or not, I could never get to grips with it when I've tried it on numerous occasions (though iOS via jailbreak TouchPal, and though Android with Swype) I'm still faster typing rather than swyping.

I'm sure if it came to iOS I'd give it a try, and you never know, I might even prefer it to the normal keyboard, but it's not a feature that will stop my next phone being an iPhone.

LeoNobilis

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2006
The Netherlands
What's all the fuss about the keyboard? I'm not seeing the issue with the current one?
Try TouchPal and Fleksy standalone apps. Now, fancy this: Swype and SwiftKey Flow are even better than TouchPal (if Android-exclusive so far). You don't like Swype / SwiftKey Flow, turn it back off. The same with Fleksy. Use whichsoever input system you like: Apple's dinosaur jab-jab-jab keyboard with its ridiculously flawed auto"correction", the elegant and efficient SwiftKey Flow, T9 / Swype, Fleksy when you need to type without looking at the keyboard (try that with the stock keyboard)…

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Was hoping the existing partnership with Nuance would result in Swype being incorporated. Who knows, it could be a feature they are saving for an iPhone 5S launch.

Or it could be that Apple does not feel the technology is reliable or straightforward enough for the average use. I disagree, but who knows.

They are all about new ways to do things, so I'd be surprised if they didn't agree that tapping away at keys is archaic.

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
I guess I'm one of those people who don't care about a swype keyboard. I have it on my Nexus 7, and It takes longer for me to swype **** in as opposed to normally typing. I find it easy to type with one hand on an iPhone without a swype keyboard since the phone is relatively narrow.

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
The keyboard has been the same since 2007 basically. The keyboard is extremely annoying in my opinion. It autocorrects very often words I actually intended to type. I would assume that they are working on something big in this area which is taking a long time to develop or Siri improves dramatically and gets 90-95% accuracy.

LeoNobilis

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2006
The Netherlands
Seriously guys? That is your reason for not getting an iPhone, then stay on Android. Everybody complains when iOS doesn't have features that android does. But I GUARANTEE you that the second any such feature is added to the iPhone, people will say "Android had the first," "Android already has this," or "Way to steal something from Android." You can never satisfy anybody apparently. People are looking for things to nitpick at.
Features that Android does? I recall ShapeWriter, an app Swype-like text input app that in the early days of iOS, before the days of Swype, SlideIt and so on, was sold (initially free, it was later made into a paid app) on iTunes App Store.
I believe, there was nothing like it on Android at the time. Later the company was bought by Nuance and integrated into T9 / Swype, and pulled from the App Store.
Let's talk another character input app for a moment, Fleksy. It's an iOS-first app that's still in Beta on Android. In half a year, it will probably be Android-only, as the developers will have been fed up with Apple's unwavering resolve to continue blocking the app's entry to system. And there you have it: the iOS will slowly but surely become a gaming-only platform, a bad choice for the productivity-oriented lot (myself included).

It's not a matter of coveting Android features (for the sake of itself), but of insisting on practical functionality that Apple is known of making a point of shunning (and vindicating their resort) so very often. Apple does't exert itself nearly as much now, as its competitors do.

----------

The keyboard has been the same since 2007 basically. The keyboard is extremely annoying in my opinion. It autocorrects very often words I actually intended to type. I would assume that they are working on something big in this area which is taking a long time to develop or Siri improves dramatically and gets 90-95% accuracy.
It's exactly the same in the iOS7 beta as it is in any earlier iteration of the OS. Except, that is, the somewhat less polished look of the GUI.
Also, why is it "either …, or …" for iOS, when it's "both … AND … (depending on the user's whim)" on Android"! That is, broadly speaking, my main issue with the iOS.

Phoboss

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
I'm not debating against it - I'm debating the point that it's not the be all and end all.

I wouldn't be bothered if it came to iOS or not, I could never get to grips with it when I've tried it on numerous occasions (though iOS via jailbreak TouchPal, and though Android with Swype) I'm still faster typing rather than swyping.

I'm sure if it came to iOS I'd give it a try, and you never know, I might even prefer it to the normal keyboard, but it's not a feature that will stop my next phone being an iPhone.
Swiftkey... isn't a swype like input, but still way faster than the iOS keyboard/autocorrect.
Besides, using a new input method takes some time getting used to, and learning. You can't compare using the iOS keyboard for 3 years against using swype for 2 hours.

I don't need swype, they can even come up with something new, but the state the autocorrect is in now, is still '08.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
I'd rather see enhancements to the current keyboard than swype, personally - I don't find it intuitive at all. That said, no reason Apple couldn't have one as an option for people who would find it useful.

chraos

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
Southeast
it was suggested that perhaps iOS 7 will open up some APIs relating to the keyboard...such that a third party keyboard can be implemented system-wide. I personally don't see this happening as it's just not in Apple's nature to allow such a deep integration but who knows..Tim Cook's comments at D11 suggested that iOS would be opening up more APIs to devs so lets wait and see...check out this article:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/06/fleksy-page-suggests-that-ios-7-could-allow-third-party-keyboard-apps/

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
The iOS7 keyboard is proving troublesome for me. Keep typing the wrong things and autocorrect isn't helping. Still hoping for SwiftKey :apple:

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
I don't know about a Swype keyboard, but iOS's auto-completion sucks and always has. Sony's PS3 auto-completion is leagues better, which is pretty sad considering messaging is way down on the PS3's feature list as compared to iOS.

jmantn

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Tn
Swype

If we get swype, I honestly wouldn't expect it to be announced at WWDC. If we get it then it will be announced with new apple hardware and last minute ios additions.

Sometimes they keep certain features out of the betas until GM.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
The distinct dangers of offering a gesture based keyboard like SWYPE are:

1) Too fast
2) Too accurate
3) Too efficient
4) Too much fun to use

Data points that spark fear within Infinite Loop.

bitsoda

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
I feel like I'm the only one who types faster by tapping out letters with my thumbs than using a gesture-based keyboard like in Jelly Bean.

bertishere

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2013
swyping actually takes longer if you think about it.

say you wanna type 'the' with swype

you touch the 't', swype to the 'h' then to the 'e'

now say you wanna type 'the' with a regular keyboard

you type 't', your other thumb is already on 'h', so you hit 'h' and by the time you hit 'h', the thumb already moved over to 'e' and you quickly press that once you hit 'h'

think about it for a second. typing on a regular keyboard is actually faster.

now i wait for you fools to argue with me..

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
I always felt like a swype keyboard was a little gimmicky. Granted, I've never used one in my daily life. It just seems easier, in my mind, to simply push the keys you want.

That said, it seems to me that autocorrect is a little bit better in iOS 7. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that, but whatever...

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
having an extra option of using Swype is nice, but I don't think I will ever use it. I find swype rather confusing and complicated to use at first.

Phoboss

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
That said, it seems to me that autocorrect is a little bit better in iOS 7. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that, but whatever...
I've noticed that as well. We'll see what happens over the next couple months.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
Swype is a gimmick. Its cool to play with but thats it. I would rather iOS keep its smoothness and consistency. Android is where swype lives and it should stay there.

HCO

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
Memphis,Tenneessee
i really think they need to work on the safari keyboard with the .com and space bar soo close together before they mess with any kind of other keyboard. imo.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
It's not that bad. It doesn't have Swype. Big deal. It is still faster and more accurate than any mobile keyboard.
I guarantee you'd be faster on SwiftKey. I'm going to get the next iPhone after being on Android for a little while and I'm really excited for everything except the keyboard. I've had every single iPhone and the stock keyboard, while solid, is not SwiftKey.