No swype/trace keyboard then?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'll never understand the obsession with ever higher pixel density. At some point, you are physically unable to distinguish individual pixels. And the iPhone's retina display has reached that point. There's really no point in increasing the current pixel density. More pixels add more strain to the processor and battery life is sparse on any mobile device, so why would you want to have more pixels?

Even big manufacturers like Samsung or HTC don't seem to understand that.

I agree though that I'd like to see the swype keyboard on the iPhone.
Not quite what the thread is about, but there are enough people out there that can still see the pixels or at least their jagged effect with Retina pixel density. While there's no need to go higher and higher continuously, going somewhat beyond Retina certainly wouldn't hurt that much and would still have a noticeable improvement (less for some, somewhat more for others).

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
I guarantee you'd be faster on SwiftKey. I'm going to get the next iPhone after being on Android for a little while and I'm really excited for everything except the keyboard. I've had every single iPhone and the stock keyboard, while solid, is not SwiftKey.
Swiftkey rocks. And for typing on the smallest keyboard around, its a no brainer.

Phoboss

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
I have a bad feeling about the upcoming iPhone release... Wouldn't be shocked if they'd announce a brilliant new keyboard which sadly because of the dated hardware in older models, won't work on any other device aside from the new iPhone 5S :D

US Marine

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2010
Charleston, SC
Swype is a gimmick. Its cool to play with but thats it. I would rather iOS keep its smoothness and consistency. Android is where swype lives and it should stay there.
Swype is much more than a gimmick. Having used it for quite some time, and having plenty of experience with iOS add well, I can tell you that it is much faster, easier, and less infuriating than pecking away at the iOS keyboard. I'm willing to bet you've not spent any considerable amount of time using Swype.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
Swype is much more than a gimmick. Having used it for quite some time, and having plenty of experience with iOS add well, I can tell you that it is much faster, easier, and less infuriating than pecking away at the iOS keyboard. I'm willing to bet you've not spent any considerable amount of time using Swype.
I've used it for over two years. I always go back to a normal keyboard.

US Marine

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2010
Charleston, SC
I've used it for over two years. I always go back to a normal keyboard.
Why did you use it for two years if you didn't like it? ;) Well anyway, as usual, YMMV. Swype is much better for me, and for a great number of other people as well. It may not be your cup of tea, but it can hardly be dismissed as a gimmick.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
Why did you use it for two years if you didn't like it? ;) Well anyway, as usual, YMMV. Swype is much better for me, and for a great number of other people as well. It may not be your cup of tea, but it can hardly be dismissed as a gimmick.
I used it off and on. Its a cool toy but thumb typing is faster and more accurate.

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2009
I love iOS over Android.

But no matter how perfect iOS has been redesigned in all other aspects, without Swype keyboard or similar I could only give it 70% mark. The other 30% would come when it is jailbroken and a system wide stable equivalent is installed.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
swype is overhyped IMO.
I used it and though it was nice, but won't really make me type faster than normal keyboards.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
A babyphone with a grotesquely impaired functionality both in soft- and hardware terms.
Silly statement in so many ways..why are you here then?

I was hoping that Apple would allow core functionality like keyboards to be replaced. I think it is a serious error not to in iOS 7. In the real world most people don't customize their phones either Android or iPhone. But there is enough of a critical mass that want to do this to make it possible.

I also don't like the thin font on iOS 7 including the keyboard. It's hard for me to see.

----------

swype is overhyped IMO.
I used it and though it was nice, but won't really make me type faster than normal keyboards.
It's a matter of opinion like anything else. Lots of people love it obviously.

----------

Not quite what the thread is about, but there are enough people out there that can still see the pixels or at least their jagged effect with Retina pixel density. While there's no need to go higher and higher continuously, going somewhat beyond Retina certainly wouldn't hurt that much and would still have a noticeable improvement (less for some, somewhat more for others).
I've never heard anyone say they see pixels on a retina display which is 326 pip and the human eye can't distinguish much beyond 300 pip. Maybe its lower quality icons they are seeing...I can however see Pixels on a blank screen of a Samsung Galaxy S4 because it's Amoled. Also that screen is uncalibrated, garish, and useless in sunlight.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Silly statement in so many ways..why are you here then?

I was hoping that Apple would allow core functionality like keyboards to be replaced. I think it is a serious error not to in iOS 7. In the real world most people don't customize their phones either Android or iPhone. But there is enough of a critical mass that want to do this to make it possible.

I also don't like the thin font on iOS 7 including the keyboard. It's hard for me to see.

----------

It's a matter of opinion like anything else. Lots of people love it obviously.

----------

I've never heard anyone say they see pixels on a retina display which is 326 pip and the human eye can't distinguish much beyond 300 pip. Maybe its lower quality icons they are seeing...I can however see Pixels on a blank screen of a Samsung Galaxy S4 because it's Amoled. Also that screen is uncalibrated, garish, and useless in sunlight.
You might not have heard about it, but that doesn't really mean people can't. I can see them, and I personally know of a few others who can. That's in addition to there being enough posts about Retina where people have mentioned that they can see the pixels as well.

You have to keep in mind that we are generally talking about the average human eye, and since there are billions of people with many who will have eyesight that is at least slightly if not even largely different than the average, there will be some (of course not everyone, or even the majority) who will see it at 326 PPI.

However, as that number gets larger, it becomes harder (if not impossible) even for those people to make out the pixels. So, yes, there's of course a point where the vast majority, if not practically everyone, won't see it, and while 326 PPI is close to that, it's not quite that.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I don't think Swype is an Android copy. I think it first came out during the windows mobile days. Android copies it because it is more open-minded to good things I guess.
Yes, I had Swype on my old WinMo phone several years ago. Before Android and maybe before iPhone. It's been too long to remember exactly when.