No troll: I'm officially waiting for Nehalem

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by oban14, Jan 10, 2008.

  1. oban14 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2008
    #1
    I've been considering a mac pro since November. This would be my first Mac, and really the only one I was willing to consider, as I already have a monitor and the mini doesn't have enough power for me.

    The more I read about Nehalem doing away with the FSB and all the other changes, I think it'll be worth waiting for. I can't really justify dropping 3,000 dollars on a 2.8 quad core with a FSB, 8800GT and slightly faster memory. I know the current (and even previous) Mac Pro are great machines, but the improvements just aren't worth it for me.

    I remember mocking the people who are "perpetually waiting" and now I've officially become one. I plan on buying the sub-notebook after MWSF or a MBP to tide me over in the mean time.

    Nehalem will be the biggest advancement from Intel since the Pentium. I'd rather be on the cutting edge of the next technology than on the final version of the current (FSB) technology.

    Hopefully they'll have Nehalem out around November. But if I have to wait another year, so be it.
     
  2. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

    Sharky II

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #2
    why does everyone have to use some variant of the word 'official' in the title of their threads :confused:
     
  3. deathshrub macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2007
    Location:
    Christmas Island
  4. oban14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2008
    #4
    I don't think you read my post - I'm going to get a subnotebook or MBP after MWSF. :confused:
     
  5. bartelby macrumors Core

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2004
    #5
    I bet this time next year you'll be Officially waiting for the next processor :rolleyes:
     
  6. oban14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2008
    #6
    No, but I am sick of the limitations of an FSB. Plus the software will be much more multi-core aware. I can deal with portability and (gasp) a mere 2 cores for the time being.
     
  7. Pressure macrumors 68040

    Pressure

    Joined:
    May 30, 2006
    Location:
    Denmark
    #7
    Did you even need the Mac Pro in the first place?

    I mean, if a subnotebook or MacBook Pro can tide you over...
     
  8. oban14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2008
    #8
    Yes and no. I'm not a video editor, but I like to use CS3 and just ordered Logic Pro. I wanted to get a machine that was "future proof" and I figured maxing out the ram and HD space over time would get me there. I also wanted to run Windows and linux via bootcamp or VMWare.

    I'll just use my PC for that and get a laptop for Logica and the video editing.
     
  9. netnothing macrumors 68040

    netnothing

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2007
    Location:
    NH
    #9
    Sounds like a plan for you. I have heard great things about Nehalem.

    Good luck with the MBP....I'd love to get one to compliment my current MP.

    -Kevin
     
  10. SDAVE macrumors 68040

    SDAVE

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2007
    Location:
    Nowhere
  11. viltsu macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2007
    #11
    Me too ;)
     
  12. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

    ezekielrage_99

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2005
    #12
    Yeah, it will be at least a year before we see an iota of Nehalem in any Mac
     
  13. Topper macrumors 65816

    Topper

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2007
    #13
    If you can wait for Nehalem it will be worth it.
    Nehalem will have three times the peak memory bandwidth of the current Harpertown processors.
    It will have DDR3 memory. Although I would worry a little bit about DDR3 memory prices.
    Nehalem Mac Pro: extremely powerful processors and very, very powerful video cards also.

    I could not wait, I bought a Harpertown Mac Pro.
    But I am not complaining, the new Harpertown Mac Pro is an absolute beast!
    But when Nehalem goes out, I will be envious.
     
  14. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2006
    Location:
    Scotland
    #14
    Intel were messing with an 80 core CPU a few months back - just to show they can do it :D
     
  15. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2006
    Location:
    Scotland
    #15
    I'll wait... Give them some time to work out the kinks in a brand new architecture.

    By the time Apple have them in a Mac Pro, my current Mac Pro will be 3 to 4 years old. Meanwhile, my Quad 3.0 is a real beast of a machine already and very few applications come close to stressing its paltry four cores.

    Back "in the day" I'd upgrade when I could at least double CPU speed. Can't do that these days. Figure I'll just have to settle for the big 4.0 (and hope all those application programmers get their finger out and write decent multi-threaded applications).
     
  16. oban14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2008
    #16
    Depending on how cheap the "old" intel mac pros get, I might grab one earlier than that and buy an 8800GT assuming it can be upgraded. But based on the current craigslist ads I see out there, people apparently aren't aware that a new pro came out on Tuesday. :rolleyes:
     
  17. daneoni macrumors G4

    daneoni

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #17
    I dunno why majority have to chastise the OP. He's looked at the roadmap and knows where he wants to spend his money next. What's the problem. Honestly, these forums....

    As for the OP waiting for nehalem is not a bad idea and would probably even be the time the Mac Pro gets a redesign so I can't fault that decision. Gd luck, Nehalem looks promising to be a fine architecture
     
  18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #18
    LOL best response ever!
    My thoughts as well!
    Ummm no machine will be future proof. Sorry.
     
  19. solvs macrumors 603

    solvs

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2002
    Location:
    LaLaLand, CA
    #19
    Yeah, I don't get why everyone's being so harsh either. I could see if it was a rant, or even a complaint, but since you're getting a portable, can't say I blame you. I have the old Mac Pro, a 2.6 I bought second hand. It works fine, and see no need to upgrade this time around. I don't think you can upgrade to the 8800 at this point from what I've read, but it is just a firmware issue, so Apple could put out an update that fixes it, or they can put out a new card that is compatible. I might consider upgrading to Nehalem as well if it comes out late in the year or next year and it's a lot better. I'm not slamming the new machine, but if you already have an old one, especially the faster ones, if you don't need the better video card, it doesn't seem worth it.

    Enjoy the laptop, get used to OS X, and keep checking back here until the next round of updates. :)
     
  20. tribe3 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2005
    Location:
    Vienna, VA - USA
    #20
    Why wait if you can upgrade.

    I won't buy this new MP (even though it looks great) because my actual machine is fast enough -and than a little more- for me, but the next generation just might be too good to pass it by. But I won't be "waiting"; I will be enjoying my bad a$$ computer in the meantime. It runs PS CS3 like a dream.

    This year I upgraded my Nikon body. Next year will be computer time I guess
     
  21. drrich2 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    #21
    I'm looking forward to it, too, but I ordered a Penryn MacPro the other day.

    My last computer purchase was a Dell PC. 3.2 GHz D series 840. About a month later, the 900 series came out; lots of heat but better performance. And I felt like a doofus. Then the Core Duo came out not long after. Then the Core 2 Duo.

    Right now, I've got a Penryn ordered; 2.8 GHz 8 core. 6 months from now, Intel might enable 4 GHz models. You buy a Nehalem in January '09, you'll get more power, but somebody buying a year after that will get a lot more, still.

    I'm not being harsh or dinging anybody's choices. I've waited a few months for Penryn, and for the enhancements at hand, some wouldn't think it was worth that wait for an enthusiast MacPro. And some would. I did. But only so long.

    Best fortune with your purchase whenever you make it, man.

    Richard.
     
  22. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

    irishgrizzly

    Joined:
    May 15, 2006
    #22
    It could be far into '09 by the time the next revision is out, why not buy a 2nd hand Mac Pro and then sell it for Nehalem?
     
  23. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

    Wild-Bill

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    Location:
    bleep
    #23
    I believe the OP requested "No Trolls" in his original post. :rolleyes:
     
  24. krunk macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2004
    #24
    If your a student and you sign up for the Apple Student Developer program, you get a one time 20% discount off of an apple computer purchase.

    I got my dual 2.8ghz with 8800GT for about 2500 after taxes.

    If your happy with a laptop + pc combo, stick with it. But I'd be careful about planning purchases around an arch that far away from a "debut". Make sure you'll be happy with your current purchase for a year minimum I'd reckon. If they hit any kind of hitch, it could be double that.
     
  25. freezerburrn macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2006
    Location:
    La Habra, CA
    #25
    I hope everything works out for ya. It will be interesting to see when Nehalem finds its way into the Mac Pro. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long.
     

Share This Page