NO UPGRADE SWAP for iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DisneyDrew, Jun 20, 2010.

1. DisneyDrew macrumors newbie

AT&T confirmed that you cannot do a simple Upgrade Swap. As we all, but AT&T, know the iPhone 4 will use a Micro SIM. So, you cannot simply swap SIM cards in the phones. They said you would have to buy a new regular SIM Card as well as a new MICRO SIM Card. But they do not even know if they will have stock in the MICRO SIM Cards to sell that day.

2. Wailord macrumors 6502

Before making sensationalist thread titles, understand the topic a little bit better. An upgrade swap is just as easily done on the computer - they simply port the upgrade over if it's on a FamilyPlan. If not, they aren't BANNING it, which is the idea your title gives...

3. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

+1, before you activate, just call AT&T and they will swap the IMEI so the phone will activate on what ever line you want :)

4. iBLAKEE macrumors 6502

I was told by an AT&T rep that this website ( https://www.wireless.att.com/activations/ ) will work to perform the upgrade swap. Anyone think it will? Because if it does it will be a whole lot quicker than calling AT&T!

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Correct. I've called AT&T and they are doing exactly that for me when my second line iPhone 4 arrives.

6. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

However, I would assume that since the Phone shipped the IMEI would already be parked in the account. I wonder if I could or should call before activation day to have them switch it before activation day hell?

7. DisneyDrew thread starter macrumors newbie

So what do you do with the 2 SIM Cards? One is a regular one, and the new one is a MICRO. AT&T said once assigned a number, it cannot be changed. You need a new one.

So switching around IMEI numbers doesn't do anything if you want the iPhone 4 with a PHONE NUMBER that doesn't get an upgrade yet.

8. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

You're not understanding. The line you used for the upgrade will not be touched.

AT&T is simply switching the IMEI of the microsim from the line u used to upgrade to your line. Then when you go to activate VIA iTunes, it will transfer the info from your line to the microsim...

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

"AT&T said once assigned a number, it cannot be changed".

That's only in their database. And still not true. You can change your phone number but it will cost money.

10. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Creator....

You believe everything AT&T tells you? That already tells me that you are wrong.

11. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

+1

12. christyn macrumors 6502a

No No No.

You just CALL, you do not need any new sim cards. The only way you would is if you activated in iTunes without calling and having them switch it first. Once it's ACTIVATED you would need a new sim IF it was activated to the wrong number, just do not plug it in iTunes until you call/visit the store and have them swap it around.

13. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

If you have a normal sim that has been cut to the size of a micro sim do you still have to call AT&T or can you just put the cut sim in the iPhone 4?

14. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

You can just pop it in :)

15. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Ok cool I was hoping it was that easy. Thanks.

16. Bakakage macrumors 6502

What if I am getting the phone from Apple? I heard they won't let you leave before activating it, can I still go to the At&T store and switch the numbers for free?

17. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

I would think so, but I'm not sure so...

18. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Watch both AT&T and Apple systems and itunes to go down by 7:10 am. They will tell you to leave the store without bricking your iphone 4. Your old phones will not be working and your new phone will not be working either. With demands like iphone 4, this will happen. It happened with iphone 3G.

19. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

That's what she said.

20. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

21. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Sorry but no since the new IMEI / SIM information will not be on the correct line. You should expect to see the following message and the "Submit" button will be disabled.:

SI034: You are not required to update your IMEI number or SIM Card number at this time. Please click the Cancel button to return back to your previous screen. Please contact Customer Care at 1-800-331-0500 for assistance.

Please note that you should check back here in the forum on Thursday before you try some random bad idea that is going to drive you crazy and make the queues for Customer Care even longer.... :(

Note: If you are doing the Upgrade Swap, make sure that you don't just use iTunes to activate or it will kill the current active SIM in the donor line an your donor will come looking for you...:eek:

Dave

22. nfl46 macrumors 603

Okay, I have a question. So, according to this thread, the Apple Store won't let you leave the store without activating your iPhone - but since I'm doing the upgrade swap -and I shouldn't used iTunes to activate my iPhone because it will kill my current sim, what should I tell the Apple Store? Will I be able to leave the store without activating my iPhone, so I can call or visit an AT&T an get the upgrade swap done? And the microSIM, does one come with the new iPhone? I only have the old one.

23. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

Lmao. She said that to u too? What a wh**e!

24. smash1031 macrumors member

This is what I wanna know. I wanna be able to get the device and leave the store without the activation, then call at&t and tell them activate under my other line. I'm praying for a total shut down of itunes so they can say "do it at home".

25. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

From what I've heard, they will need to call AT&T and do the upgrade swap in store.