Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
You don't need a laptop to use the iPad. The minimum you need is basically one of those female USB > AC adapters. The Dock serves the purpose, but you can easily find some 3rd party usb adapter to provide power.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
I'd say they'd need to release a Ethernet-to-dock adapter.. I bought a Netbook for the sole reason of having a computer when travelling… although most hotels have wifi, most of them aren't free. Ethernet, on the other hand, is available in 99% of the hotels i've been to.

SimonMW

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Second, there are accessories that allow you to connect your SD, or USB cable from a camera to directly import your photos.

Agreed, I don't know why people keep missing this.

Alongside the SD adaptor there is a USB port add on too so that cameras can be hooked up directly to the iPad to transfer photos. As we know cameras appear on the OS X desktop as an external storage device. So it stands to reason that, assuming the SDK allows it, people could develop the ability to attach USB hard drives etc.

I don't think that the likes of FCP would be any good on such a device. But I can see iMovie being ported to it, especially given that most stills cameras record pretty good video these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.