No watchOS 5 for Original Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ButteryScrollin, Jun 4, 2018.

1. ButteryScrollin, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2018

ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

2. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

Great research. I figured I would be out of luck.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Makes Complete sense. I think the first generation Apple Watch is under powered and it’s struggled through watchOS 4, watchOS 2 and 3 I think what is when it really seem to improved in a lot of areas with speed and battery improvements.

Looks like eBay will see a plethora of first generation Apple Watches for sale.

4. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Are first gen watches even really worth anything at this point?

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

They are still fairly popular on eBay and Swappa. It depends on the condition, but you can still trade them in to some retailers for about $75 or sell them privately for over $100, _depending_ the condition.

6. ButteryScrollin thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah, I was up for a S4 anyway, figured it would be the end of the line for my original.

7. Solver macrumors 6502a

8. Tzuten macrumors 6502

This is why I'm glad I returned my S0 SS watch.. The S0 has only been out 3 years and already not being supported for future updates. Can't justify spending that much money on a device that will be outdated in a couple years. I'll continue to use my S0 aluminum for another 2-3 years before considering a new purchase. Still relatively fast for my use cases and battery hasn't degraded too much...

9. christian.hemker macrumors newbie

christian.hemker

Is iOS 12 Beta 1 compatible to use with first gen Apple Watch (watchOS 4.3 only possible)?

10. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

Great news as this means sluggish old hardware will be killed off at last. It's time to upgrade for anyone who is still hanging onto the first gen Apple Watch.

11. Tzuten macrumors 6502

Tim Cook makes his face shine down upon thee.... I don't see how this is "great" news, as you obviously don't have a S0, so regardless if they supported the hardware or not, wouldn't impact you at all.

But I get it, I'm sure they could release the update to S0, but the user exp. would likely be compromised. I just don't get applauding hardware becoming outdated in 3 years.

12. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

It helps advance the platform and developers can target more capable devices.

One of the downsides of buying a first generation of any new product in a new category is the hardware will quickly be obsoleted. Most S0 owners will tell you the experience is pretty bad already with watchOS 4, so it's undoubtedly the right time to cut it off in terms of new software releases.

13. GizmoDVD macrumors 68000

Returned when, 3 years ago? Yeah, smart move back in 2015.

14. Nell macrumors 6502a

Nell

My S0 is useful as a backup for when my S3 is on charge. Essentially, this means I use it for sleep tracking every other night. It works fine for that and I’d be sad to lose it.

15. texasstar1981 macrumors regular

S0 owner here with a Stainless model... good to know that Apple supports a $600 watch for a whopping 3yrs... :confused:

16. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

The original Watch is a first gen product from 3 years ago. Most first gen products are quickly obsolete.

Look at the original iPhone or iPad. Both of them received only 2 major iOS updates before being dropped.

If you're an early adopter, be prepared to pay for a gen 2 product.

17. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

At least you didn’t buy an Apple Watch Edition...

18. karnsculpture macrumors regular

I am still happy with my S0 sports, however I was thinking of upgrading when the next version of the watch is out. The watch is still working well. It is an option not to upgrade the software, right?

19. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

That's what I would like to know also . My S0 is still working great, I mostly use it for notifications .

20. melman101 macrumors 68030

Sure it will still work as it always has. Just won’t get any updates. I think I’m gonna hang on a bit longer. $1500 on two watches was a lot. Can’t do that again.

21. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

Remember that the watch isn't standalone and requires iOS compatibility... so while S0 would work as normal for now, eventually you'll either have to have an old iPhone with an old iOS to run your watch.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Phooey.

Every technology product will be unsupported by updates eventually, completely apart from what "generation" to which it belongs. It's been more than three years since the first Apple Watch was introduced, and it will be another half a year until the new OS is released, so that is hardly "quickly." The other nonsense claim here is that the Series 0 is now somehow "obsoleted." Will Apple send out a poison dart to make them stop working in September, or will they magically continue working in exactly the way they always have worked? Hmm, I wonder. Finally, I've owned a Series 0 since the first day of issue. I've never experienced any downsides to my daily use of the thing for these many years, and if or when I decide to upgrade, it won't be because Apple forced me to do it with an OS update.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 4, 2018 ---
    Which will probably be unsupported by the next OS update or the one after that.

23. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

I don't really care whether you upgrade to a new watch or not, i just care that developers no longer need to waste their time thinking about supporting the first gen watch. I've seen a number of devs celebrating this news today.

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You're not being asked to care about what I or anyone else does with their first generation Apple Watch. The point is, it is not being obsoleted. Owners of of these watches can keep using them or not entirely on their own volition. The same will be true when the next generation becomes unsupported by OS updates. It is neither unusual nor the end of the world as we know it.

25. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

At least it wasn’t the $10,000 model :)