watchOS 5 Not Available for Original Apple Watch

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The new watchOS 5 update, which was introduced at the keynote event of the Worldwide Developers Conference this morning, will not be available on the first-generation Apple Watch models that were released three years ago in 2015.

There were some hints that support might be dropped for the original Apple Watch, including warnings in later watchOS 4 updates after Apple stopped supporting the watchOS 1 SDK.

watchOS 5 will be able to be installed on Series 1, Series 2, and Series 3 Apple Watch models, while original Apple Watch models will not be able to be upgraded beyond watchOS 4.

The original Apple Watch likely does not have the power and battery life necessary for some of the newer watchOS 5 features, including Walkie-Talkie for touch-to-talk communications with friends, richer interactive notifications, automatic workout detection, and updates to the Siri watch face.

Article Link: watchOS 5 Not Available for Original Apple Watch

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Mine still works fine and battery is awesome. Gutted they don't support it now. GRR. Not updating till the increase the screen estate, the rectangle is horrible lol

Reactions: RedGT

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
My S0 is ready to be retired alongside my first generation iPhone and first generation iPad. I should put them all together in a display case or something in the new office I'm building in my basement. If only I had an original Mac! I joined the party too late.

The S0 battery life and performance is already not great. It's best for them to optimize watchOS for newer, faster devices. Looking at iOS, it seems like Apple is now supporting devices even longer once they got to a certain performance level. Hopefully the same happens for the Watch and we eventually get updates for longer once devices get fast enough.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Series 0 here. I’ve been looking for a reason to upgrade when the next watch comes out (I’ve got a cracked screen but still great battery life even when biking 2+ hours). This and the next hardware revision will be a bit for me.

Krayzkat

Suspended
Apr 22, 2011
Imagine if you spent $15,000 on one of the gold plated edition versions of this. So much for being a rival to luxury watch brands. Those last generations. This is dropped after a few years
Was gonna say exact same thing..... $17,000 on a gold AW and it don't even have walkie talkie mode lol

Reactions: LiveM

ErikGrim

macrumors 601
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Imagine if you spent $15,000 on one of the gold plated edition versions of this. So much for being a rival to luxury watch brands. Those last generations. This is dropped after a few years
It has been said before, but people who have the money to drop $15k on a watch have probably already replaced it with a more expensive watch by now.

Last edited:
Reactions: yaxomoxay

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx

The new watchOS 5 update, which was introduced at the keynote event of the Worldwide Developers Conference this morning, will not be available on the first-generation Apple Watch models that were released three years ago in 2015.

There were some hints that support might be dropped for the original Apple Watch, including warnings in later watchOS 4 updates after Apple stopped supporting the watchOS 1 SDK.

watchOS 5 will be able to be installed on Series 1, Series 2, and Series 3 Apple Watch models, while original Apple Watch models will not be able to be upgraded beyond watchOS 4.

The original Apple Watch likely does not have the power and battery life necessary for some of the newer watchOS 5 features, including Walkie-Talkie for touch-to-talk communications with friends, richer interactive notifications, automatic workout detection, and updates to the Siri watch face.

Article Link: watchOS 5 Not Available for Original Apple Watch
I will NEVER buy another Apple watch because of this policy. When I pay an outrageous $700 for a stinking watch, I expect it to be supported for a long time to come. Apple has just become too greedy!

Mizouse

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2014
Waiting to see what the series 4 will bring.

Otherwise my 1st gen works fine.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Well...that's stinks. BUT not shocked. My battery in my original is till fine, but performance wise it is slow as dirt. I had a feeling this would not be available for us original adopters. UNLESS a new design comes out for AW, I really have no desire to upgrade my watch.

Reactions: Lill-Q

trusso

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2003
Got a Series 0 here. Still on watchOS 3, as I'm still on iOS 10 as well. The new features are cool, and it's a little unnerving that those expensive original models are becoming "vintage" already. All that said, I don't need my watch to do much besides tell the time and show me a couple of notifications. I see no reason (personally) to upgrade for some admittedly cool features that I will nevertheless never use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.