No wifi (greyed out), bluetooth stuck off (iPhone 4)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by knewsom, Jan 17, 2011.

1. knewsom macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

Recently had a mishap where my iPhone 4 took a swim (slipped right from my fingers into a pot of water). I quickly disassembled the phone, and attempted to dry it out - with gentle heat and compressed air. A few days later, it still didn't work, so I took things up a notch and did a more complete disassembly, cleaning everything gently with rubbing alcohol, re-spraying it with the canned air, and reassembling. It was jailbroken and unlocked, running 4.0.1, but springboard would crash repeatedly and the phone would only work in safe mode.

I tried doing a restore using tiny umbrella to maintain the baseband and keep it from being upgraded, but it kept having errors and would not kick out of restore mode, so I bailed on TU and gave up on keeping the carrier unlock... did another restore, and got another error. Finally had to use terminal to edit /etc/hosts and put a "#" in front of an Apple IP in order to get it to complete the restore process.

When all was said and done, still no wifi. :( BT will not turn on, though under settings-> general-> about it does list a bluetooth address but no wifi address, and wifi is still grey on the main preferences page.

I even tried a restore on a totally different computer, but no luck. Any ideas?

TIA...

-K

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No restore or any software will fix hardware issues caused by water damage.

3. knewsom, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

knewsom thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, that's assuming the cause is water damage. I think it may still be possible that some data was corrupted during the incident, and that is causing this, but I'd say its probably unlikely at this point.

Where on the logic board does wifi connect? I know that the GSM antenna connects at the bottom... perhaps I need to disassemble again and clean the contacts more thoroughly, or inspect and ensure that they are indeed making contact where necessary.

GPS seems to not be working properly either. Now I'm very much questioning possible antenna connection issues, I just don't know where to look or what to look for.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its no software or corrupt data.
    Face it, the components are fried/damaged and need to be replaced.
    I'd pay the $200 and get a replacement from apple. This iPhone will never work like it did before.

5. knewsom thread starter macrumors 6502a

Psssh, like I can get a replacement 32 gig iPhone from Apple for 200 bux... I don't have an upgrade, I'll get charged the full $600 or whatever. :(

!!!!! The clips on the speaker assembly! A couple were broken off when I reassembled! I just realized that's part of the wifi antenna!

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you bring your damaged iPhone to apple they can do an out of warranty replacement for $200.
    They will take in your damaged iphone and give you the same model phone and won't impact or have anything to do with your AT&T upgrade. They won't charge you $600, call up AppleCare or apple and ask.

7. knewsom thread starter macrumors 6502a

You're right, they don't want $600, they want $699. Apparently disassembling it at all (even removing the backplate) will eliminate even the possibility of an out-of-warranty replacement.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Give it a try and bring it in.
    People have brought in phones that have been run over by a car and still got a $200 replacement. As long as everything is there it don't matter if you opened it. That's why it's called out of warranty replacement.
    You can even do it thru the mail.
    Check out http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/faq/#warranty7

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Dude, Applejuice is right. If you go to the Genius Bar with a damaged iPhone (any iPhone) due to water, they will replace it for you for $200.00 USD.

That has been standard procedure since Day 1 of the iPhone back in June 26th, 2007.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I don't think he gets it still.
    Maybe he will sell it to me for $200 then since it's useless:)

11. knewsom thread starter macrumors 6502a

I get it. Don't mention that I opened it. Wish that had been mentioned previously.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced