Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
I've been away from using Macs for a long time because I couldn't justify the price per features... but I'm at a point now where my current needs/wants out of a laptop have directed me back towards the MBP

I've considered every possible configuration for my needs, from a desktop+netbook+wacom tablet, to a tablet laptop, to just laptop, etc... and surprisingly, the only combo that makes sense now is a 13" MBP + Wacom tablet

Basically, I've searched high and low for a laptop that meets these criteria:
-Great battery life (as in more than 6 hours with regular Wifi usage)
-Graphics power (for 3d modeling and gaming)
-Ergonomic keyboard and trackpad (I am VERY picky about these)
-Light and easy to carry (less than 5 pounds)

Everything else is optional to me.... processor, hard drive, RAM, etc... are all second-tier features to me because if the above list is met, I just assume that the rest of the specs are adequate as well.

And I can't find a single Windows laptop that meets my list... and the ones that (barely) do, are priced similar to the MBP!

So yeah... I can't believe it but the MBP is no longer a "luxury" item to me... it seems to be the most logical laptop for what I'm looking for, and is priced competitively!

Chime in if the MBP is actually the smartest buy for you, or if you can point me in the direction of a better/comparable Windows machine.

drock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Sooooo buy it. You won't regret it.

I'm gonna! =D

I'm just shocked that for the first time in... well, forever, the MBP is the most competitively priced option for me. It was the battery life that really cinched it for me.

chrisvee

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Winnipeg, Canada
I'm gonna! =D

I'm just shocked that for the first time in... well, forever, the MBP is the most competitively priced option for me. It was the battery life that really cinched it for me.
Yeah, you probably won't find better battery life in a laptop. Unless of course you go for a netbook.. But yeno, Mac OS is the way to go. :D

drock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Yeah, you probably won't find better battery life in a laptop. Unless of course you go for a netbook.. But yeno, Mac OS is the way to go. :D

That's true and I do love Mac OS... but the thing is, there's always the option of Hackintosh =P So if I really needed OSX I could find a way.... but it's the hardware in the MBP that's really impressive to me for the price.

chrisvee

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Winnipeg, Canada
That's true and I do love Mac OS... but the thing is, there's always the option of Hackintosh =P So if I really needed OSX I could find a way.... but it's the hardware in the MBP that's really impressive to me for the price.
Okay fine, let me rephrase that. MBP Unibody Awesomeness + Mac OSX = Win. :)

chuckflip53

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
Competitors DO exist but is the price difference worth it?

I wanted a laptop that was thin, durable and light yet packed a punch inside (this effectively counts out all netbooks since they lack power). The only competing notebook I found was a Sony, the Z-series VAIO laptop. The Z-11 is pricier than the Macbook Pro 13" because its base model includes an i5 processor (3.06GHz), 128GB SSD, 1600x900 resolution and a lighter weight (1 lb. lighter)...but is an extra $900 worth it? When you think about it, Apple COULD have created a MBP 13" with i5/i7 + added higher resolution options - clearly SONY has already done it - but you have to factor in price and in this case, some people might think that the extra $900 (or more, for example if you want to upgrade the HDD since 128GB is pretty paltry) is unnecessary spending.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I've been away from using Macs for a long time because I couldn't justify the price per features... but I'm at a point now where my current needs/wants out of a laptop have directed me back towards the MBP

I've considered every possible configuration for my needs, from a desktop+netbook+wacom tablet, to a tablet laptop, to just laptop, etc... and surprisingly, the only combo that makes sense now is a 13" MBP + Wacom tablet

Basically, I've searched high and low for a laptop that meets these criteria:
-Great battery life (as in more than 6 hours with regular Wifi usage)
-Graphics power (for 3d modeling and gaming)
-Ergonomic keyboard and trackpad (I am VERY picky about these)
-Light and easy to carry (less than 5 pounds)

Everything else is optional to me.... processor, hard drive, RAM, etc... are all second-tier features to me because if the above list is met, I just assume that the rest of the specs are adequate as well.

And I can't find a single Windows laptop that meets my list... and the ones that (barely) do, are priced similar to the MBP!

So yeah... I can't believe it but the MBP is no longer a "luxury" item to me... it seems to be the most logical laptop for what I'm looking for, and is priced competitively!

Chime in if the MBP is actually the smartest buy for you, or if you can point me in the direction of a better/comparable Windows machine.

As I understand, MBP does not meet two of your criteria. Chiclet keyboard is not ergonomic and MBP graphics obviously is not the best in its class (never is). Then, of course, there never is an ideal computer ;) Obvious alternatives are Sony Vaio Z and HP Envy 14 (which is much more powerful than MBP). If you want about the same performance as MBP but for less money, take a look at ASUS U30Jc-1A.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
There are a couple laptops out there comparable to the MBP 13 but the design in each are lacking and sometimes they have some major flaws.

1. Asus U30JC - Bigger size and bulkier but good performer
2. Asus U33JC - Worse graphics performance than U30JC and ugly I think
3. Asus U35JC - Looks great and good graphics but no optical drive
4 Acer 3820TG - Great performance but build quality issue and no OD
5. Sony Vaio S - Battery life kind of sucks and US model sucks
6. Toshiba R700/R705 - Graphics performance sucks and keyboard kinda small

Also consider that all of those don't have Mac OSX which is an awesome reason to get a Mac.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Chiclet keyboard is not ergonomic

This is by far the most comfortable keyboard I've ever typed on, but I guess it doesn't have the word ergonomic stickered onto the palm rest.:rolleyes:

I should mention I've gone on several coding binges (last minute assignments) with this bad boy and its far more comfortable then any other computer I've used for such a feat.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
As I understand, MBP does not meet two of your criteria. Chiclet keyboard is not ergonomic and MBP graphics obviously is not the best in its class (never is). Then, of course, there never is an ideal computer ;) Obvious alternatives are Sony Vaio Z and HP Envy 14 (which is much more powerful than MBP). If you want about the same performance as MBP but for less money, take a look at ASUS U30Jc-1A.

Sony Vaio Z is overpriced.
HP Envy is a knockoff that performs horribly and materials are chintzy.
Asus U30JC has a horrid screen and is noticeably bulkier.

HP Envy also has poor battery life as well.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
I wouldn't expect amazing things from the graphics chip, although I doubt it sucks as much as people make it seem. Otherwise, I would say it's a pretty complete package. I agree with NT1440, this is definitely the best laptop keyboard I have typed on. It's perfectly spaced and is crisp, has good feel. The only keyboard I have used that I have actually liked better is the apple wired one (I need the number pad - excel sucks without it). It's roughly the same, just with a slightly different texture to the keys and an even more crisp feel.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I wouldn't expect amazing things from the graphics chip, although I doubt it sucks as much as people make it seem. Otherwise, I would say it's a pretty complete package. I agree with NT1440, this is definitely the best laptop keyboard I have typed on. It's perfectly spaced and is crisp, has good feel. The only keyboard I have used that I have actually liked better is the apple wired one (I need the number pad - excel sucks without it). It's roughly the same, just with a slightly different texture to the keys and an even more crisp feel.
Yup, the only keyboard I like more is my Apple bluetooth, which is essentially the same exact one but better on a desk. :)

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Sony Vaio Z is overpriced.

Maybe, but not as much as MBP ;)
HP Envy is a knockoff that performs horribly and materials are chintzy.

You are probably talking about older models. Just check the link that I provided. Envy 14 beats MBP 13 in all performance tests.

Asus U30JC has a horrid screen and is noticeably bulkier.

It's 4.8 pounds vs 4.4 for MBP. If this is too much, there is ASUS U33Jc which has better display, weighs 4.4 and looks great.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
This is by far the most comfortable keyboard I've ever typed on, but I guess it doesn't have the word ergonomic stickered onto the palm rest.:rolleyes:

I should mention I've gone on several coding binges (last minute assignments) with this bad boy and its far more comfortable then any other computer I've used for such a feat.

yeah seriously. dunno if it qualifies as ergonomic but it's the best typing experience after the 12" powerbook keyboard (for me) :D

TopHatPlus

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2010
Southern Ontario
i am using a 13" macbook and the keyboard is amazing!!! just so smooth, it sounds like you have already sold on the computer and that it meets your needs, you will love it, and yes macs are so much faster then everything else and have amazing batteries and screens and are super light =D haha enjoy it =D

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
We'll just glance over the 5+ hour battery life difference, its not like the OP was asking for good battery life or anything....

Did you notice that OP is looking for a laptop to run Windows? OSX is the major reason why MBP has decent battery life. When running Windows, its battery life will get worse. That said, battery life for ASUS U30Jc is just 40 minutes shorter than for MBP (which BTW means that when both laptops run Windows ASUS may actually get better battery life).

xacimo

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
My vote goes to the Macbook Pro. The overall user experience is so much better than with any windows laptop (OSX, unibody, trackpad, etc)

But don't think about using it with windows regularly. I have windows 7 on my MPB and not only does the battery last much less, the trackpad works much less smoothly.

Gabriel GR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Athens, Greece
Excellent find, a pity that gaming was all you could say that was better on a Windows laptop. :rolleyes:.

Office is much better. As also are SPSS, Matlab and SAS, and photoshop until CS5.

When it comes to ergonomics and if one works with open source tools, the Mac shows its strength.

stefan1975

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Excellent find, a pity that gaming was all you could say that was better on a Windows laptop. :rolleyes:.

SSD Trim support, windows7 aero snap/peek features, M$ office including outlook, visual studio, database development, battery life while running windows, silverlight support, flash support, graphics switching, multitouch support, wifi reception, hardware upgradability.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
SSD Trim support, windows7 aero snap/peek features, M$ office including outlook, visual studio, database development, battery life while running windows, silverlight support, flash support, graphics switching, multitouch support, wifi reception, hardware upgradability.

Fail. Gimme a break. Office is better on Windows huh? Well shouldn't it be since Microsoft makes Windows and Office? Well here's news for ya, iTunes is better on Mac, need I explain why?

As for the rest, fail again. Battery life isn't better on Windows machines. Silverlight, again it's made by Microsoft. How is multitouch support better in Windows, most Windows laptops suck at multitouch. Hardware upgradability is limited to desktops and you can very easily upgrade a Mac Pro. Flash support is the issue from a 3rd party company. That's not a plus for Windows computers in terms of them being better.
Graphics switching requires an update from Apple and that's not a good enough reason for someone to consider a PC over a Mac, and Wifi reception is negotiable as I have 2 recent Windows notebooks in my household that drop signal constantly while my Macbooks stay full signal.
Big WOW about Aero Peak, sure it's a nice feature but Expose, Spaces kicks the crap out it. Day to day more people are likely to use Expose and Spaces than they would snapping two windows side by side on the screen.

SSD Trim support so far has proven that it's only needed in Windows and not Mac according to a few articles on the web from test performed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.