Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juanchi007

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2016
With Gurman and others expecting new Macs as early as this month, a lot of attention has been focused towards the updated M2 Pro and M2 Max chips. These will undeniably be the showstoppers of any possible event (or press releases), but I have a suspicion that if the Mac Mini is getting an upgrade it will be receiving the base M2 chip as well. After receiving the M1 simultaneously with the MacBook Air and the MacBook Pro in 2020, it was left behind at WWDC and is in need of a refresh.

With an M2 and M2 Pro Mac Mini, Apple would finally be able to get rid of one of the few Intel machines still being sold. Additionally, a powerful Mini will absolutely drive sales towards the Studio Display for those who just can’t justify buying a Mac Studio. Today, an M1 Mini plus the display and accessories is a thousand dollars more expensive than the equally powerful M1 iMac. However, an M2 Mini at the current prices or an M2 Pro Mini at the current Intel Mini prices would present a compelling value proposition for everyone stuck between an iMac and a Mac Studio plus its accompanying Studio Display. Phil Schiller’s price matrices win again.

Reactions: staypuftforums

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
M2 Mini and ASD is as close as one could get to a replacement of the 27" iMac. Of course it would require separate keyboard/mouse that come with iMac as well. All in $2.5K or more probably. A lot of coin but I bet a machine that would last home users a long time.

Reactions: Juanchi007

TightLines

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2022
Apple has lost peoples interest in an upgraded Mac Mini… its been long over due and they haven‘t delivered… so people have moved on… I know I did. And I also moved on from the Mac Studio when they failed to address the whining thats been reported on here extensively….

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Apple has lost peoples interest in an upgraded Mac Mini… its been long over due and they haven‘t delivered… so people have moved on… I know I did. And I also moved on from the Mac Studio when they failed to address the whining thats been reported on here extensively….
Curious - what did you move on to? Asking because I am seriously considering the Studio.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
M1 Max Studios and M1 Ultra Studios are now in stock at a local store so it seems like the supply-chain and demand issues have been resolved. The M1 Ultra Studios were backordered up to 12 weeks earlier this year. I do think that the lack of an M1 Pro mini pushed a lot of customers to go for the Studio. I'm in the middle area where an M1 Pro would be better for the extra monitor.

From a marketing standpoint, I think that they would be better off just doing an M2 mini with no M2 Pro model as it would add to their product line at a time when the economy is likely going into recession.

altaic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2004
M1 Max Studios and M1 Ultra Studios are now in stock at a local store so it seems like the supply-chain and demand issues have been resolved. The M1 Ultra Studios were backordered up to 12 weeks earlier this year. I do think that the lack of an M1 Pro mini pushed a lot of customers to go for the Studio. I'm in the middle area where an M1 Pro would be better for the extra monitor.

From a marketing standpoint, I think that they would be better off just doing an M2 mini with no M2 Pro model as it would add to their product line at a time when the economy is likely going into recession.
How much more does the fabled M2 Pro die cost than the M2 die? Also, which economy are you talking about going into recession?

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
There's so much potential for the mini, I really hope Apple sees the demand, and adds more options.

A premium mini should have more ports and I don't know if they care to add them. On the other hand, it would be really nice if they added two USB-C ports to the base model but I'm pretty sure that M2 wouldn't allow for that.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
A premium mini should have more ports and I don't know if they care to add them. On the other hand, it would be really nice if they added two USB-C ports to the base model but I'm pretty sure that M2 wouldn't allow for that.
For more ports you need the M? Pro or Max.

There's no evidence that the M2 supports any more ports than the M1 - and there's no evidence that the M1 Mini leaves any of the M1's ports unused.

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
...because nobody would buy Mini without cooling (I beg Apple don't try to do that)

Juanchi007

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2016
I cannot envision many home users buying an ASD with a Mini. The entire point of the mini is to bring standard gear to the party.
Which is why the Studio Display should have been priced more competitively or Apple should’ve made an even lower-end display (such as their $1,000 Cinema Display). As the price stands right now, an M1 Mini plus a Studio Display and accessories is a thousand dollar premium over the M1 iMac for a larger, slightly brighter display with nicer speakers.

They never would’ve priced a 27” iMac like that, and it’s strange that’s the only options for non-pros who want a big screen.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Which is why the Studio Display should have been priced more competitively or Apple should’ve made an even lower-end display (such as their $1,000 Cinema Display). As the price stands right now, an M1 Mini plus a Studio Display and accessories is a thousand dollar premium over the M1 iMac for a larger, slightly brighter display with nicer speakers.

They never would’ve priced a 27” iMac like that, and it’s strange that’s the only options for non-pros who want a big screen.

I think that Apple doesn't want to compete with the 4k monitors that sell for a lot less.

dazzer21-2

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2005
I cannot envision many home users buying an ASD with a Mini. The entire point of the mini is to bring standard gear to the party.
Have to disagree with that. As a 27" iMac power user, I can't imagine using a Mac again without the fidelity of a 5k screen. I have an M1 Mac Mini with a 4k as well, and the difference is night and day - the 5k is super-friendly on the eyes! An M2 Mini/Studio Display will be the combo to replace the iMac; the M2 will be a powerhouse for years to come for the level of work I do, which is stretching the iMac a little these days but that Mini will lap it up! A shame that the only comparable screen is the LG one, which feels on the weak and wobbly side; and I'm a bit disappointed in Apple for throwing the value proposition on the all-in-one (I know many don't like that) which features a powerful enough machine inside a glorious display for a competitive sum of money! That the screen on its own costs the same as a previous mid tier iMac grinds my gears a bit. I'll wait and see what the M2 promises - I hope that Apple doesn't scrimp on the specs with this one.

Reactions: Tagbert

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Have to disagree with that. As a 27" iMac power user, I can't imagine using a Mac again without the fidelity of a 5k screen. I have an M1 Mac Mini with a 4k as well, and the difference is night and day - the 5k is super-friendly on the eyes! An M2 Mini/Studio Display will be the combo to replace the iMac; the M2 will be a powerhouse for years to come for the level of work I do, which is stretching the iMac a little these days but that Mini will lap it up! A shame that the only comparable screen is the LG one, which feels on the weak and wobbly side; and I'm a bit disappointed in Apple for throwing the value proposition on the all-in-one (I know many don't like that) which features a powerful enough machine inside a glorious display for a competitive sum of money! That the screen on its own costs the same as a previous mid tier iMac grinds my gears a bit. I'll wait and see what the M2 promises - I hope that Apple doesn't scrimp on the specs with this one.

There's an M1 mini + ASD for sale on my local Craigslist. Asking is $2,300+. Nobody is going to look at it when a base M1 mini is asking $400 - $450.

Reactions: EugW

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
This is exactly how I feel. But I'm one of the folks who likes the ASD and is okay with the price. I understand the arguments about it lacking "value". But I like it and I'll probably buy a third one soon! Kind of waiting to see if they come out with a promotion/mini-LED version before I buy another one.

Spindel

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2020
As a M1 Mini owner/user I personally would see no point of upgrading from the M1 to an M2 where the main benefits of M2 are in power efficiency.

What I would like is an M# pro or max option in the Mini form factor. I bet (since there is so much empty space in the Mini) that it could handle cooling a more powerful chip.

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
In terms of units shipped worldwide, the Macbook Air is the most popular Mac sold for the past decade.

So it gets priority for M2 parts.

Mac mini & iMac getting the M2 will probably happen next year.

By December 2022 it is more likely we will see a December 2022 Mac Pro M1 Ultra to replace the December 2019 Mac Pro.

But then again the Mac Pro may be delayed further to get the M2 Ultra for the purpose of marketing clarity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.