Noise cancellation in the next iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Halamolo, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Halamolo macrumors regular

What is this exactly?

Is it somekind of noisegate where the background ambient noise is blocked? `Cause if it is, that´s really annoying.

I was talking with my friend on the phone. I don´t know what phone he has, but I suspect his phone had this "feature". When he didn´t talk the line went always absolutely dead silent. I was wondering and asking him all the time "are you still there?". Totally frustrating!

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Well, it could be for that. It could be used for other purposes, as well — such as recording video... high definition video at that.

Then again, who knows. We don't even know if it's actually on the new phone.

3. fishmoose macrumors 68000

What your describing seems useful to me, especially if it works when you speak into a headset. Because people have a hard time hearing me when I do that.

I also hope this works when in the iPod app so you hear your music loud and clear, noise cancellation headphones are expensive so if Apple can build this in into the iPhone OS it would rock!

4. Halamolo thread starter macrumors regular

Trust me, it´s almost impossible to have a decent conversation in the phone that way. It´s like you´re talking on the phone by yourself and no one is at the other end. You feel totally stupid and paranoid. And because of this you end up talking over each other many times. You almost have to take "walkie talkie rules" and say "over" always at the end of your sentence. I´m not kidding. It´s that annoying and frustrating!

5. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

:rolleyes:

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

It's only because your brain is used to the noise. It becomes something you expect. As more and more devices release w/ noise cancelling technology, your brain will get used to it and it won't be such a big deal.

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Most phones already have some sort of noise-canceling technology. The addition of a microphone to listen for background noise merely makes the noise cancellation more effective. Believe me, it will be great for use in a car or in a crowded room.

8. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

What a fantastic contribution to this forum.

9. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    you may feel uncomfortable by the silence or feel like the connection was dropped but "walkie talkie rules" really?? :rolleyes: How does lack of noise interference not allow you to communicate. if anything it allows to you hear each other more clearly...

10. Halamolo thread starter macrumors regular

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Ahh, you as well sir.

Personally i like the noise cancelation

12. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Mine was still better despite its brevity.

13. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    personally I think this is the best contribution :rolleyes:

14. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

:rolleyes:

15. flapperdink macrumors member

i think the noise cancellation is necessary for the iphone where the microphone is so far from the mouth. flip phones may not need it so much because the microphone is placed closer to the mouth.

if they do it right, they can still include ambient background noise in the conversation and just cancel out the noise peaks. they can also cancel out background noise to the extent that the speech signal from the microphone nearest the mouth is maintained at a higher level relative to the background noise.

we'll just have to wait and see.

16. army91c macrumors 6502a

Ummmm yeah we do. Watch the keynote and steve will tell you exactly that noise cancellation is on the new 4 and that the hole by the hp jack is that speaker.

Are you kidding me? You know the other person is done when they say goodbye and hang up. You sound like you have way more pressing issues than a phone call.

:rolleyes: +1

17. Gigzz macrumors regular

Having used phones with tis feature, my big complaint isn't the dead silence, which is actually kinda nice, but its that it causes you to talk over each other, which is incredibly annoying. It's a nice feature for shooting video, but not good at all for phone calls. The silence is going to confuse many iphone owners who are now used to the silence from all the times ATT has dropped their calls, though.

18. army91c macrumors 6502a

If you don't talk over one another when there is "background noise" why would you when there isn't? Talking is a very easy thing to do..... one person talks the other listens. When person a is done talking person b talks. It's really very very easy.

19. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

So what you're saying is that you're one of those people who panics if the line is silent for more than two seconds and then starts saying HELLO ARE YOU THERE!! HELLOHELLOHELLO?!?

How about waiting those two seconds instead of driving them crazy the way a coworker drives me crazy with that.

And yes the dual wield microphones helps filter out background noise. Its going to be awesome to no longer have people 'what?' me every twenty words. I'm not a loud talker yet have never had that issue with prior phones.

20. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Although I don't have a call dropping problem with AT&T, your comment is very witty.

21. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I assume the silence will be on the recipient's end of the call not the iphone4's

22. Gigzz macrumors regular

You have zero clue what you're talking about. On some phones with noise cancellation you dont hear the other person talking, thus creating the issue of talking over one another. So please, if you cant comprehend the issue, just shut it.

23. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

How exactly does that work? When they are talking, you don't hear them talking? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of talking on the phone? I don't get it. Guess I haven't experienced what you have.

Someone said it earlier, that we are trained to think that silence means the call has dropped. Hopefully as AT&T continues to improve that situation and as our brains get retrained, we'll realize that silence just means that, a break in the conversation.

24. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

Here is a video (top video in this link, Clayton Morris)
    In this video, he says that the noise cancellation is being used for recording. The only thing that seems strange is how freaking steady he's holding he phone...looks like he has it attached to his body the way it moves with him perfectly.
    But for the noise in that room, im blown away with the quality of his voice...seems to be cutting right through the bwckground noise.

http://www.9to5mac.com/7_apple_iphone_videos